What popular mods are known for killing the ability to make a new game?

MaeroTheMaestro73

The problem I'm having is that the game will go to a black screen and the little loading cog in the corner will keep spinning, but it lasts forever. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. 20 minutes. Back when I was able to get a new game going, it would take 20 seconds or less to initialize the process.

Note that my existing savegame works just fine and has zero issues, no errors, no crashes, nothing. I just can't start a new game for the moment. All other features appear to be stable.

I'd rather not waste time going through my entire load order as I have a lot of mods, but if anyone knows of some mods in particular that mess with anything to do with the starting sequence, please let me know.

Trying to troubleshoot. Recently disabled Start Me Up Full Dialogue and the accompanying Full Dialogue Interface hoping that would fix it, but still nothing. I'm currently going through in FO4Edit to see if I can find a conflict and resolve it that way.

Edit: For anyone curious, I let Vortex manage all my mods for me. No manual anything.

Edited by MaeroTheMaestro73

Heyas Maero.

Ok, so from bottom to top. I you know what you're doing...IE have been playing modded games for a while... manually is definitely better than using a mod manager. Doing thing where you KNOW what has been done, and know it's been done right, over push button modding wins out every time.

Both mods you've mentioned have a proven track record. Shouldnt be a problem unless another mod is causing problems for them. Or possibly a load order conflict.

Are you starting the game with a full active load order? If so, that's a big no-no. Start the game out with only the very bare essential of mods, only the ones you need for character creation, or the start up of the game. Don't active more mods til you get out of the vault, or the equivalent from startup mods.

My first guess would be mods that affect the character creation. Such as any mods that affect vanilla pre-war protagonist house. Any mods that affect camera, or camera angle.

Possibly a race mod that isn't working right for whatever reason.

Mods that affect the presets for character gen.

Mods that affect the protagonist voice or animations. Or even the radio in the background, or the sounds from codsworth working in background.

I really don't know of any, but another possibility might be a problem with a hair, eyes, skin, or other beautification mod that only kicks in under the conditions in the CC. (That's a stretch, but I'm not gonna rule anything out).

It could be something like just a bad/poorly organized load order. Back to the pushbutton modding. (a program doing what a human brain should be doing, trying to set a list correctly)

Maybe some files for that area are corrupted. Or missing.

Maybe a script is firing that is blocking the rest of the load for that area.

I dunno if any of that will help or not. But without more details, giving off ideas of possibilities is about all that we can do.

Hope that it helps tho.

-Storm

Heyas Maero.

Ok, so from bottom to top. I you know what you're doing...IE have been playing modded games for a while... manually is definitely better than using a mod manager. Doing thing where you KNOW what has been done, and know it's been done right, over push button modding wins out every time.

Both mods you've mentioned have a proven track record. Shouldnt be a problem unless another mod is causing problems for them. Or possibly a load order conflict.

Are you starting the game with a full active load order? If so, that's a big no-no. Start the game out with only the very bare essential of mods, only the ones you need for character creation, or the start up of the game. Don't active more mods til you get out of the vault, or the equivalent from startup mods.

My first guess would be mods that affect the character creation. Such as any mods that affect vanilla pre-war protagonist house. Any mods that affect camera, or camera angle.

Possibly a race mod that isn't working right for whatever reason.

Mods that affect the presets for character gen.

Mods that affect the protagonist voice or animations. Or even the radio in the background, or the sounds from codsworth working in background.

I really don't know of any, but another possibility might be a problem with a hair, eyes, skin, or other beautification mod that only kicks in under the conditions in the CC. (That's a stretch, but I'm not gonna rule anything out).

It could be something like just a bad/poorly organized load order. Back to the pushbutton modding. (a program doing what a human brain should be doing, trying to set a list correctly)

Maybe some files for that area are corrupted. Or missing.

Maybe a script is firing that is blocking the rest of the load for that area.

I dunno if any of that will help or not. But without more details, giving off ideas of possibilities is about all that we can do.

Hope that it helps tho.

-Storm

Hi there! I forgot to take this down, lol. It turns out, having ENB installed just requires me to press a certain key combo in order to trigger the new game process fully. My mods are in fact totally fine. Just hitting Shift-Enter to open the ENB console menu and then closing it will un-stick things.

Basically, this problem is not so much about popularity as it is about mode compatibility. The latest test version of Vortex already takes into account the incompatibility of modes. The problem with the solution is that it can be any of the modes that has an error. For me personally, this problem was caused by the mod (Ada Humen), after removing it, everything was fine. You can find out by switching off the modes individually. I know it's tedious but I have more than 340 of those modes. So I know what kind of work it is. I finished it a few minutes ago and found another problem. That's life.

Basically, this problem is not so much about popularity as it is about mode compatibility. The latest test version of Vortex already takes into account the incompatibility of modes. The problem with the solution is that it can be any of the modes that has an error. For me personally, this problem was caused by the mod (Ada Humen), after removing it, everything was fine. You can find out by switching off the modes individually. I know it's tedious but I have more than 340 of those modes. So I know what kind of work it is. I finished it a few minutes ago and found another problem. That's life.

Your problem is a Vortex problem, not a mod problem. I've used the Ada To Human mod without a problem. But I'm using Nexus Mod Manager instead of Vortex. Vortex is advertised as the next world wonder while in fact it causes more problems than it solves.