Unable to Log on to Nexus

jayrichardm

Chrome seems to be much better for logging in to Nexus. I'll be using that to log in. I never did like Microsoft's Edge.

Thanks for your advice Jimmy.

The latest version of Edge IS chrome, with different makeup. At this point, I think you still need to actually elect to download/install it, but, that is likely going to change as well. The new version of Edge will even be able to use extensions from the Chrome Web store........

As for Defender, it is in Microsofts best interests that the anti-malware solution that ships with the O/S actually works at least halfway decent. And it does. And I don't have to spend ANY money on it. None. Zero. It works perfectly for me, and millions of other folks. I see absolutely no reason at all to spend money on something I don't need.

That said, Windows 10 IS spyware. It is simply pretending to be an operating system. If you accept the default settings on initial setup, it reports EVERYTHING you do back to MS. Each key press, anything you print, etc. Given how pervasive Windows 10 is now, that is a LOT of data MS is collecting....... They can afford to give away the O/S for free, as they are likely making billions selling the data to anyone that has the money. Not to mention advertisements in the friggin' start menu......

Chrome seems to be much better for logging in to Nexus. I'll be using that to log in. I never did like Microsoft's Edge.

The latest version of Edge IS chrome, with different makeup. At this point, I think you still need to actually elect to download/install it, but, that is likely going to change as well...()...

No it won't change. Unless Microsoft want to pay millions in fines again to the European Union, like they had to do because they shipped Internet Explorer with Windows without giving the user a choice to not install it. And Microsoft having an interest in Defender working can be true, but you clearly forgot that Defender was introduced with Windows 7 and that virus signatures stopped updating a few months after Windows 7 was launched. That's why I don't trust Defender and never will, even when it is free. The argument that Defender is free is moot and it's none of your business I want to pay for an A/V solution other than what you use.

The latest version of Edge IS chrome, with different makeup. At this point, I think you still need to actually elect to download/install it, but, that is likely going to change as well...()...

No it won't change. Unless Microsoft want to pay millions in fines again to the European Union, like they had to do because they shipped Internet Explorer with Windows without giving the user a choice to not install it. And Microsoft having an interest in Defender working can be true, but you clearly forgot that Defender was introduced with Windows 7 and that virus signatures stopped updating a few months after Windows 7 was launched. That's why I don't trust Defender and never will, even when it is free. The argument that Defender is free is moot and it's none of your business I want to pay for an A/V solution other than what you use.

Defender didn't work on win 7. Microsoft Security Essentials did though, Defender came about with windows 8.

Windows currently comes with Edge. So far as I know, you can't really uninstall it. No different than IE back in the day. (though you can disable it.) You can still use whatever browser you care to. No one is stopping you, so, legal action would be pointless. Defender comes shipped with windows as well. And nope, can't uninstall that either. Though you can disable it. And most third-party antivirus packages do just that. Defender still receives updates as well. No idea where you got the idea that it wasn't being updated...... I really don't see the point in paying for something I already have, that I got for free...... I suppose the placebo effect of installing some third-party software might make you feel better, but, does it make you any safer? Nope. In all reality, it opens you up to the possibility of your a/v breaking an update, and windows stops working........ (something I see mostly with the free versions of AVG/AVAST..... ) And then we have all the recent hubbub about data collection by the various third-party programs....... MS is already collecting a fair bit of data from me, a bit more isn't really going to make a difference. (and I have as much of the telemetry turned off as I can in any event.)

That said, in this day and age, an adblocker is better protection against malware than ANY of the anti-malware applications. Including Defender.