Your thoughts on all these follower mods?

grasscid

Follower mods  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How do feel about follower mods?

• Can't get enough of them
    • I don't mind them
    • Only if they're special (i.e there's a quest involved before they'll follow you)
    • Mostly dislike them
    • I hate them
    • I hate them with a passion

Personally, I'm getting sick of all of them. They're everywhere; on every mod page for everything I look up and they even pollute (that's probably too harsh a word) the workshop too. And if it's a chick with ENB screenshots, you can bet it'll get front page. The problem with them is that I just don't care. If it was something relate-able like more companions or Dark Brotherhood members, then I wouldn't mind. But if it's just some random elf chick with absolutely nothing to do with Skyrim and absolutely nothing unique about her, then I get kinda annoyed. I'm fine with the followers already in Skyrim; there's a good selection and plenty of them. I don't see the need for more followers, ESPECIALLY ones that are no different than what already exists. The worst part is the sheer number and how much attention some of them get. You look up almost anything in Skyrim and you can bet that their will be a follower related to it. I recall a mod that added four female followers to Skyrim and it was on front page for half a month. They didn't have anything special about them. They weren't unique. Yet some how, they garnered hundreds of endorsements. I recall one person said the mod was good because it really "helped show the beauty of Skyrim." If Skyrim really is that beautiful, it doesn't need fan made content to help it, let alone ENB screenshots.

Like the poll option up there though, I'm fine if it's something special or unique. Like lets say it's a mod where there's a fresh batch of College of Winterhold students and you get to show them the ropes and discover some Daedric artifact with them. At the end, they can be recruited as followers. Or, let's say that they have some exclusive armor (And retextures don't count). Then it would be something worth downloading.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my two cents out their. Feel free to disagree, but I felt like I had to let it out.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of any followers even the stock followers. Most of them just get in the way and die. It's like they time it just right to run in front of my ranged attacks and then complain with their last breath that they are on my side. If they were on my side then they'd be BEHIND me :P

I think the reason tho that there are so many followers is that with mods like UFO you can have a lot of followers if you wish. In a situation like that I can understand wanting to have a little extra variety in appearance at least.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of any followers even the stock followers. Most of them just get in the way and die. It's like they time it just right to run in front of my ranged attacks and then complain with their last breath that they are on my side. If they were on my side then they'd be BEHIND me :P

I think the reason tho that there are so many followers is that with mods like UFO you can have a lot of followers if you wish. In a situation like that I can understand wanting to have a little extra variety in appearance at least.

Agree with that first paragraph.

Why use followers when you can conjure a Dremora lord? :P

Because of the in-game followers, I now hate all followers and follower related mods with a passion.

I tried Vilja, thinking that maybe it would be different. Maybe she wouldn't annoy me within minutes like all the other followers because she has stuff to say...

No offense to the mod authors, they did a fantastic job, but the combination of an open RPG and followers just doesn't work for me. They break immersion. And Vilja's VA was really annoying

Followers are only OK during a specifc quest that has been scripted for a specific follower, so they actually add to the immersion rather than take away from it. The most obvious example would be Serana during the quests to find her mother and Auriel's bow. There are other examples like a couple of the Companion's quests and escaping Helgen at the start of the game. Outside of those quests though, I hate those followers too.

I just realized I still have the Hoth follower mod installed. I never use him, I just hope that one day his armor will be made available for players too. Hoth has really cool custom and unique armor. Too bad hothtrooper44, the mod author, was pretty clear that he wasn't planning on releasing the armor for the player character. But if you want a follower with cool exclusive armor, Hoth is definitely worth a try.

Since I hate followers so much, follower mods get the same treatment. That does not mean I want a ban on follower mods or something. Obviously it's completely up to the modders what kind of mods they make and upload and there are plenty of people who do seem to enjoy them. I'm just not one of them.

Edited by WatchMeGoing

The only follower I have any interest in currently for Skyrim is Atvir. A follower with plenty of personality, who fits into the world, or else has an interesting enough storyline, is far better than any other follower. In vanilla Skyrim, I only bring followers with me if I have no choice (or if I want to sacrifice them to Boethiah - bye Lydia!), because, yes, they do just get in the way, or die too easily. Plus, they're boring.

Generally the followers I have had are modded ones which have a lot of dialogue, or interact well with the story (commenting on quests, locations, or even the weather), and generally help with immersion. Sadly, most follower mods are just eye-candy...and only if you like female followers. As such, the only followers I've ever had in nearly 10 years of playing BethSoft games are:

Morrowind: Julan.

Oblivion: Dairanath.

Fallout 3: None. =(

Fallout NV: Niner.

Skyrim: Atvir.

So...I guess you can put me down as 'dislike unless they continuously add content (quests, unique dialogue, etc.)'. =D

I have Serana why do I need other followers? I have nothing against follower mods as long as they don't have misleading names (ie names that make you think they are an armor mod or something useful). I cant count how many times I've found a mod and thought it was going to be something really cool for it to only be a follower mod or worse yet a save game.

PS. Save games are NOT mods and should all be deleted :nuke: :devil: :nuke: .

I'll only get a follower mod if they have either

• Custom voice (with quality voice acting)
  • Quests
  • Particularly good looks or a unique look

Otherwise I'm not interested. There has been a flux of "hot sexy skimpy cbbe unp follower marriageable" mods and I dismiss them as easily as an ant underfoot.

I can't find the mod that's preventing me from getting a follower dialog saying "Lets Go"? I have UFO mod, but I had that when it was still working. I have the PC version, is there any console commands to get a dialog? Edited by kenzee