Valve's Steam Box will be Linux-based; reveal due 2013

JimboUK

So have they explained how games are going to work on this thing. In my mind all the Steam Box appears as is a gaming PC with a gamepad that lets you play your PC games like a console and enjoy them from your couch, even though plenty of people already do that with their current machines. The whole thing just feels like a gimmick.

In my mind all the Steam Box appears as is a gaming PC with a gamepad that lets you play your PC games like a console and enjoy them from your couch,

If the hardware is capable, inexpensive, and they are able to mitigate most of the control issues, I'm not sure what the problem with that is. Most PC games being made are also formatted for console, or are designed around current console hardware, so it's not like much has to change in the actual industry. Microsoft and Sony are also pretty much shooting themselves in the foot with their policies, so it's a good environment for a new system to come into being. Afterall, when Microsoft started with their console there were certainly enough people expecting the system to fail hard (especially after the initial reception of the X-Box).

In my mind all the Steam Box appears as is a gaming PC with a gamepad that lets you play your PC games like a console and enjoy them from your couch,

If the hardware is capable, inexpensive, and they are able to mitigate most of the control issues, I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

I'm not saying it is a problem, but for people who already currently own a gaming PC I'm not sure what the point of buying the thing would be. Depending on the price, why would you pay for a box that will only play PC games when, for around the same price, you could build your own PC that would be able to not only play games on but of course use as a personal computer. Again if Valve is able to make this thing relatively inexpensive and the price difference was substantial between owning the box and owning a PC, then of course it would be a wise choice to invest in their product.

Edited by Passb

If the hardware is capable, inexpensive, and they are able to mitigate most of the control issues, I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

I'm not saying it is a problem, but for people who already currently own a gaming PC I'm not sure what the point of buying the thing would be. Depending on the price, why would you pay for a box that will only play PC games when, for around the same price, you could build your own PC that would be able to not only play games on but of course use as a personal computer. Again if Valve is able to make this thing relatively inexpensive and the price difference was substantial between owning the box and owning a PC, then of course it would be a wise choice to invest in their product.

its like you expect it to cost $600+ dollars? the thing will probably cost somewhere in the range of $200-$300 dollars maybe. you wont build a PC for that little.

It'll be interesting to see if it can make use of Steam Workshop, it'll be good to see user content finally make it's way to consoles. Things looked promising when Sony allowed user made UT3 maps on to the PS3 but they never really took it any further.

Didn't Valve say this system would be closed, like most consoles? If so..it's just another console that has Steam on it rather than Xbox Live or PS Network.

"Very controlled" http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/

I knew they w'ere making it linux based, its actual a good thing considered the lack of compatibility without wine installed. You can play Skyrim, just you need a few extra steps. I can see steam expanding the capabilities of linux as a distro for steam, if they are truly dedicated to make it compatible with all games, they have their work cut out for them. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif thanks steam for making Linux enjoyable for a change.

this is good news indeed.

Edited by Thor.

its like you expect it to cost $600+ dollars? the thing will probably cost somewhere in the range of $200-$300 dollars maybe. you wont build a PC for that little.

Not one worth playing games on, anyway. I did manage to create a $280 build that had the same performance as an xbox 360, but that would only run most pc games on med-low settings at 720p and sub 30 fps.