Mod authors: Ordering your images

Dark0ne

nobody comes back to endorse if the file works usually

You're being sensationalist and exaggerating, something I don't particularly like. Endorsements are a part of NMM now. A lot more endorsements are being dished out now. Case in point We had 44,000 endorsements added in November (before NMM was updated) and 70,000 endorsements added in December for Skyrim Nexus.

what is the point also of waiting one hour ?

You know the point, but I'll say again anyway. To give the user the chance to actually install and play with the mod enabled before they can choose to endorse it. Why? Because if we don't at least try to do that our system will be no better than the Steam Workshop system, and will be pretty pointless.

could enter early in the hot spot so pushing up their count and other mods that could have even more deservign rights cannot enter the selection because the spots are filed and will never get showcased ... really man this system needs a fix

Also when a mod is lugky enough to get to hot spot , why can stay there only few minutes if it made only at the end of the week from publishng?

You don't seem to understand how the system works. The hot files aren't calculated once a week, they're calculated once a day. If you upload 6 files, one each day, and they all get in to the hot files, the first mod you uploaded will drop out a week after you uploaded it to be replaced by another, the next will drop out the day after, and so on and so forth. So the only advantage you can give yourself in this process is to add and upload your files a couple of minutes after midnight GMT to give your mod a bit more time to accumulate endorsements on that first day. But that tip is true of other areas of the site, like the "new today" system. It gets flushed at midnight every night, so seemingly the best time to upload your mod for maximum exposure is just after midnight. Does it actually affect much? No, not really, because users will check the "new today" list when they're actually online. It's not like being on the list a few hours longer actually helps, because the people who check the list aren't all checking at midnight, and just midnight. Similarly, if you add your mod at midnight it will be bottom of the list for the entire day. Hardly prominent for others to see. So it's not all a bonus to upload at midnight.

Now, what I will concede is that it might be better if we could change it from total endorsements over the past 7 days to the average endorsements/day over the past 7 days. Would it change much? I don't know.

Irrespective you seem to be confused as to how the system works. It's not broken. It's working exactly as intended right now. Stop saying it's broken.

the system is not working and trust me is not just me but a lot of other mod authors

I don't like people speaking for others. If others agree with your point they can speak up, or you can point me to some where this is discussed where a majority agree with you. Your best bet is making a thread about it in the mod author forums, and not hijacking a news post that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody comes back to endorse if the file works usually

You're being sensationalist and exaggerating, something I don't particularly like. Endorsements are a part of NMM now. A lot more endorsements are being dished out now. Case in point We had 44,000 endorsements added in November (before NMM was updated) and 70,000 endorsements added in December for Skyrim Nexus.

what is the point also of waiting one hour ?

You know the point, but I'll say again anyway. To give the user the chance to actually install and play with the mod enabled before they can choose to endorse it. Why? Because if we don't at least try to do that our system will be no better than the Steam Workshop system, and will be pretty pointless.

could enter early in the hot spot so pushing up their count and other mods that could have even more deservign rights cannot enter the selection because the spots are filed and will never get showcased ... really man this system needs a fix

Also when a mod is lugky enough to get to hot spot , why can stay there only few minutes if it made only at the end of the week from publishng?

You don't seem to understand how the system works. The hot files aren't calculated once a week, they're calculated once a day. If you upload 6 files, one each day, and they all get in to the hot files, the first mod you uploaded will drop out a week after you uploaded it to be replaced by another, the next will drop out the day after, and so on and so forth. So the only advantage you can give yourself in this process is to add and upload your files a couple of minutes after midnight GMT to give your mod a bit more time to accumulate endorsements on that first day. But that tip is true of other areas of the site, like the "new today" system. It gets flushed at midnight every night, so seemingly the best time to upload your mod for maximum exposure is just after midnight. Does it actually affect much? No, not really, because users will check the "new today" list when they're actually online. It's not like being on the list a few hours longer actually helps, because the people who check the list aren't all checking at midnight, and just midnight. Similarly, if you add your mod at midnight it will be bottom of the list for the entire day. Hardly prominent for others to see. So it's not all a bonus to upload at midnight.

Now, what I will concede is that it might be better if we could change it from total endorsements over the past 7 days to the average endorsements/day over the past 7 days. Would it change much? I don't know.

Irrespective you seem to be confused as to how the system works. It's not broken. It's working exactly as intended right now. Stop saying it's broken.

the system is not working and trust me is not just me but a lot of other mod authors

I don't like people speaking for others. If others agree with your point they can speak up, or you can point me to some where this is discussed where a majority agree with you. Your best bet is making a thread about it in the mod author forums, and not hijacking a news post that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

As I said it was a sugestion you can take it offensively and get upset or instead thinki about and make a change , I didn't mean the system is broken , perhaps my English is not so goot , is not what i meant I just meant that it could be improved to be better and allow more people to be showcased in a more fair way with a simple add on of filtering on the main page that would help more and more authros to get the visibility ...

I'll stop here with the "hijacking" and btw thanks for the update on the images but it's since the new system was introduced that once in a while I read posts in the forum about the subjects , perhaps you never seen them or passed over as unimportant . You say that the majority of people are satisfied , I can't pretend to say the majority isn't but I can say that a lot of prople I have read of in this or other forums are complaining about it ... take it as you like though ... a sugestion to improve it or totally ignore it ... you are totally free to think you are right and I am wrong .

@Ironman5000 I don't know you but I have seen a lot of "worth" mods just disappear down the line because of no one went back endorsing the file since it worked fine or people simply forgot to come back after an hour of having installed , the general user doesn't come back to endorse ... I am not saying it is wrong to let people wait though but perhaps a reminder more visible like a pop up would refresh their memory ... On the other side I have seen many mods be endorsed a lot just couse where on hot file page and not because where more "worth" than others , simply they had better visibility and better "timing" in posting ...

That said I will stop the conversation here about the endorsement system to not further Hijack the thread that was not my intention

perhaps could be interesting opening a thread on the forum on the specific subject ... but only if it is taken seriously into consideration and discussed and not critiqued without even understanding its core principles.

I know that this news isn't about hot files but would it be possible to somehow upgrade the system of displaying images? Now they are just too close and centered on wrong spot. Maybe give authors an option to upload another, manually cropped version of their title image, which would be used only if file make it to the front page. I know it sounds like another work for authors but as a result there will be nice and easy method how to solve the problem that bugs me, and I'm sure that not only me, since the upgrade to the current layout.

Thank you all for your unending work on this superb website.

Edited by starfis

Can we have an "Are you sure" pop up when we hit "delete" on our post comments? I hit it by accident when trying to edit and it deleted my post. I wondered why nothing happened, so I hit refresh and noticed some "red writing" on the post and then it was too late.

:(