Noob ? - keyboard/mouse, joystick?

mntherobot

Not a noob to Skyrim, many hours logged on PS3 for both skyrim and oblivion, but a noob to playing on PC. I have to say I'm pretty pumped to play on my first PC build which will let Skyrim run well and look great, also looking forward to some DLC from the community here.

So here's my ?: What should I play with in terms of controller? What do most of you prefer? I currently have inexpensive keyboard and mouse. I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of $$ on fancy gaming equipment, but if it's really recommended I'll bite the bullet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Once you play long enough keyboard and mouse feels natural and actually better. The transition can be odd, but you'll get use to it. As for which mouse and keyboard I don't really think it matters too much. I got a mouse and keyboard from Walmart for 20 dollars and use it to play all sorts of games. I'm sure that there is an advantage from those fancy mice, but a normal one should work fine. If your determined to get something better though the more power too you.

Actually Dragonchris152 is right. Mouse for pointing and keyboard for strafing and quick execution of actions. If You opt for a five button mouse you can assign Your mouse for an even better more fluid response such as hold left or right mouse button for strafing. Middle mouse scroll for weapon change and press middle mouse for secondary weapon action as grenade. As he said it may be awkward at first but but with a little practice You'll find it second nature and extremely responsive. Myself on a three button mouse - right mouse button moves forward, left is fire or action, L on keyboard reloads. I generally don't change F keys or tab for pip boy. I always map my arrow keys to the appropriate direction - Forward, Strafe left, Strafe right and Backwards. Personally, I like right control for crouch or sneak, right shift for jump or climb. Makes since to Map the keyboard controls for the easiest reach and what seems logical or natural for You. Everyone is different so there is no REAL answer to this question !!! :) P.S. Steering wheel REALLY SUX on ANYTHING but driving games. I can't milk a cow but I can sure as H*** DRIVE !!! :) Edited by Anoxeron

Don't need any face equipment for skyrim.

You'll probably want to pick up SkyUI though, it'll improve inventory management significantly regardless of control scheme.

Most gamepads (controllers) will work regardless.. just like most usb devices work with everything now a days.. but if you want to be hassle free, you can always pick up the 360 controller microsoft sells for pc. The wired version you just need to plug in (don't confuse this with the wireless controller that comes with the charging cable... it ONLY charges the controller, it's still functions wirelessly when plugged in.) If you want to get a wireless 360 controller (or have one) you'll need to pick up the wireless receiver microsoft used to sell for it. Ebay will probably be your best source... but you can buy it bundled with a controller.

There's also a way to get the ps3 controller to work on pc, but I'm not familiar with it or it's compatibility issues. The xb360 controller will work without a hitch.

I play Skyrim on PC and mouse and keyboard could be good, but I use an XBox 360 controller. ms/kb would allow better aiming with a bow and you could use hotkeys, but I have reasons to use a controller. For one, I like to play Skyrim when no lights are on because with lights on, it is harder to see dark areas. I have the Realistic Lighting mod which makes night time and caves and dungeons darker than Vanilla Skyrim. It is a bit hard to game on a keyboard in the dark, too. You might try hitting a certain key, and then your missing it, and then in the dark your looking away from the screen and trying to see the keyboard with hardly any light as you search for the right key. This could cause you to die in some situations.

Also, when I play with a controller, I can kick back and put my feet on the computer desk, and it is pretty freakin' sweet. A lot of times when I'm playing Skyrim I got my feet propped on the desk. Can't really do that with a ms/kb setup. You could, but it'd make it even harder to hit the right keys most of the time.

Allright, thanks for humoring what may seem like a dumb question. I truly haven't played a PC game that requires any responsiveness. Mostly been Turn-based strategy and simulation games for me. Sounds like I'll move forward with what I have and possibly upgrade to the PC/360 controller if I really can't adjust.