The Popularity of Lydia

Niborino9409

I thought Sven or Faendal would be your first, but I guess they're quests are optional and easy to miss out on.

I'm not really much of a Lydia fan (Jordis is my favorite among the housecarls.), I just couldn't keep up with her sarcasm... but she was one hell of a fighter. And a reliable protector. I can't tell how much she saved my Dovah's life in those life-or-death situations, (Alik'r hideout, anyone??)

Totally agree with GoodfellowGoodSpring.

Edited by hardarg

She's generally the first follower you have. Yes, you could hire Jenassa, or get Faendal or Sven. You could also get Uthgard really early on.. but Lydia is sortof forced on you. Though not as much as Serana.

Almost since I took my first steps in Skyrim, I have always wondered why Lydia is so popular. What makes her special? Why does everybody like her so much? Jordis looks just like her except that she is blonde.

So whats the big deal about her?

My lydia doesn't look like your Lydia...mine has mods that affect her and I think she's cute in my game. ^^ I got used to having her with me so I guess in a way she became like my characters friend sort of like Xena and whats her name...the blonde that hung out with her. I ended up marrying Lydia in my first game and will probably marry her again this time too. I did leave Lydia at home for a while the first time when I had Serana with me but I actually felt bad that she wasn't with me...it was like she was missing out on the adventures. Yeah, I know I'm kinda weird. And when I started using UFO and she started being more enthusiastic about carrying my stuff I actually kinda missed the "I am sworn to carry your burden." line...it was her personality. And yes nobody can block a door or narrow tunnel quite like Lydia...but I still like her even when she frustrates me or runs in front of my shot with my bow and takes a flaming arrow in the back then complains to me, "What are you doing?! I'm on your side!"

And Jordis is a blonde? She's always been a brunette in my game and doesn't look like Lydia at all really...plus she's so chirpy and happy to help its almost sickening.

My Lydia. ^^

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/Lydia_zps195b5a23.jpg

Edited by Jennifur68

Oh lydia, what can i say. My least favourite follower by far.. She always die, even if i give her powerful armour, the required training.. always dies. Like today, i was hunting in the forest with her for some fox pelts, strolling down the road, real roleplaying style. Then suddenly i heard a roar from the distance.. it was a deadly dragon. I was going to retreat but lydia charged in, as always.. i thought, hey lets give it a try.. and lydia died in a few hits, i called for my horse and ran away.

She always dies early in my playthroughs, but then again, i play on master difficulty with a few mods that enhances that difficulty. I tend to play with several followers, more fun.. gives me the final fantasy vibes, but without the whistle games.

The only time Lydia dies in my game is when I accidentally shoot her when she's knocked out...and I'm playing on master difficulty. You can really easily set her to essential in the CK if you have problems with it though. Edited by Kayyyleb

She is the first companion I came across while playing Skyrim first and I've gotten used to her. I try different companions now and then but somehow I always go back to her. Maybe its the Dragonborn's destiny.....who can say what the Divines has Devised. :rolleyes:

My lydia doesn't look like your Lydia...mine has mods that affect her and I think she's cute in my game. ^^ I got used to having her with me so I guess in a way she became like my characters friend sort of like Xena and whats her name...the blonde that hung out with her. I ended up marrying Lydia in my first game and will probably marry her again this time too. I did leave Lydia at home for a while the first time when I had Serana with me but I actually felt bad that she wasn't with me...it was like she was missing out on the adventures. Yeah, I know I'm kinda weird. And when I started using UFO and she started being more enthusiastic about carrying my stuff I actually kinda missed the "I am sworn to carry your burden." line...it was her personality. And yes nobody can block a door or narrow tunnel quite like Lydia...but I still like her even when she frustrates me or runs in front of my shot with my bow and takes a flaming arrow in the back then complains to me, "What are you doing?! I'm on your side!"

And Jordis is a blonde? She's always been a brunette in my game and doesn't look like Lydia at all really...plus she's so chirpy and happy to help its almost sickening.

Jordis looks blonde to me, but that is probably from game to game. And you are not even close to being as weird as me! :tongue:

(The naked guard in the background is a bug)

Back to Lydia. I never noticed the sarcasm, but she died quite fast, she weren´t protected. We fought some skooma addicts and a dunmer with a battleaxe that did flame damage and I jumped down from the plateau we stood on to fight like a hero, I noticed that I were too weak so I had to retreat into a dog pen. They crowded on Lydia(or more exactly the dunmer did) and killed her. I noticed that and got an adrenaline rush and attacked the skooma addicts, fighting my way towards Lydia and the dunmer. I engaged the dunmer and barely made it out alive.

Dramatisation: I stumbled to my knees exhausted, seeing my former companion in a pool of blood. I carefully carried her to a bed and said a last goodbye. And Lydia died in that cave and she has always been dead since. :sad:

I took her sword with me and enchanted it with flames, naming it "The Flame of Lydia", I think. Weirdly enough, it ended up on my weapon plaque.

Edited by Niborino9409