Real Backpack

nability

I was wondering if it was at all possible to create a backpack mod but for it to have it's own inventory/container space so you could actually put things in there and also dtop it, simular to the backpack function in outwards?

I was wondering if it was at all possible to create a backpack mod but for it to have it's own inventory/container space so you could actually put things in there and also dtop it, simular to the backpack function in onwards?

That is definitely possible, and there are some awesome backpacks out there in the world, but, so far as I know, they just add to your carry weight.

I like this idea, and if I were better at scripting, I would give it a shot. But, I suck at papyrus..... :D

I think there was a mod like this for ElderScrolls Oblivion (maybe even for skyrim? I can't remember ...)

So it is possible, yes.

One would just have to figure out how it was done there and it would work the same in Fallout4 (same basic game "engine") ...

I think there was a mod like this for ElderScrolls Oblivion (maybe even for skyrim? I can't remember ...)

So it is possible, yes.

One would just have to figure out how it was done there and it would work the same in Fallout4 (same basic game "engine") ...

I remember writing scripts for backpacks in oblivion....... but, I am certain that I didn't release the mod..... I simply don't recall if I just used them myself, or if I was working with someone else, and it was released under their name......... I suspect it was something that I used, and never released......

But, scripting in oblivion was easier (too me) than what we have now in skyrim/fo4...... I learned scripting originally back in the Morrowind days, but, when beth changed to using papyrus..... Never bothered to learn it.

The scripting side is simple if you can find a sensible activation or interaction point ... how does the player "activate" the worn item / armor to open the linked container UI ?

Use a consumable aid Item ... Run a holotape ... Equip a ring ... Unequip/drop the backpack so it "becomes" a container on the ground which switches back to armor when it picked up ... all a bit UX messy. If you look at the personal stash element of Survival Utilities that's the basic mechanics.

But if any one of them grabs your fancy you can have a script that supports one backpack in 15 mins. If you want multiple backpacks that would take a little more time to generate the best framework for association.

I mean the Event thing wouldn't be hard. Event OnEquipped() ... and then open some container. It's the second part where I can't find a line.

Though SKK50 is right, you'd have to reequip the item constantly

Maybe when you equip the backpack a holotape/book object gets added and with that you could open a container. Unequip the backpack and the extra item is gone.

That's exactly the problem, when the backpack is worn accessing it needs another activator which is crappy UX.

But, you cant access a backpack IRL when it is worn, it has to be taken off which is why the SKK approach would be to turn it into a container on the ground and armor when worn. Art reflects life.

There could be another option but it involves a looping script, which is a bit crappy too.

But basically a quest induced script which runs OnInit() and checks every such seconds if the player wears the backpack. If the player does you can press a button. (I've never used the "extra button" scripts but from what I've seen it might work. Also it could clash with other mods.

Just to be clear, I know nothing when it comes to the CK and Papryus. But what i was thinking is something simular to what SKK50 said about taking it off to access it. But instead of a holotape (which if using a sorting mod would be a pain in the ass to get to each time), could it be hotkeyed for a quick drop, then access as a normal container then another or the same hotkey while it's under the crosshair to re-equip it. I would imagain F4SE would need to be used for these types of functions but like I said I don't know scripting so yeah...