What level range for your character do you enjoy most?

greyday01

The beginning levels I don't like as much because I haven't got my favorite spells or a house and there usually aren't dragons yet.

On the other hand I have a level 70 character with a really deadly sword and that's a bit boring. Killing creatures is like harvesting wheat, no challenge. The mid levels where it takes a lot of strategy and usually a number of attempts to survive a fight are my favorites. I wish I could simply freeze each of my skill gains when I reach a certain level of skill so that my leveling up would slow or stop. I would like for each character to be able to set the maximum skill for each skill at the start of each game as well as the maximum number of skill gains total. That way with different choices each character would be very different. With all the skills at 100, hard to avoid, they all get to be the same.

I also kind of prefer the mid-levels, 25 to 50 or so, as you are decently good at your chosen path but it's still a challenge. But when you can make ludicrously powerful potions and weapons, it does get a bit too easy, despite the Scaling of enemies in the game world.

One of the problems with TES games is that certain races and classes (when they had classes) start with a bonus to certain skills, but they all cap at 100. So One Size Fits All, in the end, as you say.

Instead, for example, a Bosmer Archer who gets +15 to Archery as a Wood Elf and +15 to Archery as an Archer should cap at 130 for Archery. But that seems hard to implement as a mod. But it would give variety to end-game, level 80 characters.

There are mods that stop skill progression, and there are full reworks that make the game more difficult overall, I forget the name now. Was it Requiem?

I often impose my own rules and try to recreate AD&D classes. One of my friends loves role-playing thieves, so never uses block or a shield, only uses short blades, daggers and bow, NEVER buys a single thing, always steals what she needs, and sells everything she can for gold. So she goes round lock picking, burgling and pick pocketing everywhere, and makes poisons with Alchemy to reverse pick pocket and poison enemies.

You could try using a normal, iron or steel weapon. See if that adds some challenge back to the game for you.

:)