Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

I wouldn't mind the option to deliberately throttle how much bandwidth I use; i would rather wait another few minutes and have my use of the site have less of a negative impact than having near instant downloads. Even an option to double the adds that appear for an hour so i can contribute a little more per mille points to the total.

I do think a lot of redundant things need trimming though, or at least discouraged. One of my biggest irritations with nexus is the flood of what i think of as useless mods: We don't need any more five minute edits jobs that change Lydia's face, or another daedric sword/armour with quadrupled stats added to breezeholm, or a retexture that's just a garishly coloured filter added in photoshop. Skyrim nexus isn't quite so bad for it compared to how oblivion nexus was, and morrowind was positively flooded with them way back when we got our mods from PES.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think the Nexus should have a "donate" button like the mod authors do. Then maybe they could get a title or badge or a month of faster download or something?

That way folks can donate just whatever...if they don't want/can't afford membership....or if they are already premium members can still toss a bone every now and again?

I occasionally find a Twenty in an old coat I could send...lol

I'm a lifetime Premium member already but I'd happily allow ads to help with the Nexus' revenue streams. As has also been said previously by other Premium members responding to previous blog pieces from Dark0ne, if there was a donations system for the Nexus I'd happily donate some cash from time to time.

I fully support and understand these changes, I don't mind ads all that much unless they're popups, if popups appear on the Nexus I'm just going to get a premium :D

And as for the new endorsement changes, what happens if you don't download new mods? I'm pretty content with the mods I already have but this will galvanize me into endorsing the mods since I love them all :D

This site has been on my favorites list since practically its beginning through various friends accounts, and I have to say its made a fair compromise on the part of advertising its entire life. Don't have issues with ads I cannot support, though I've clicked on several in times. The cap limit is completely fair and perhaps to some users not even noticed majority of the time (your average USA download speed being 2.34 mbps).

On that note it would be great if Nexus could receive some revenue on the part of actual sales of ad placement, or perhaps even selling copies of the game, already having a download client with security verification implemented. Nexus mod manager has revolutionized the modding community and as a extensive user I would love to see it blossom further.