Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Wow. That's quite the plan.

One minor math issue. If you have the 250kb boost from the site skins, you're still at 1MB with the ads turned off. That's sort of a self-defeating prophecy for an incentive to turn the ads on.

Also, Is the endorsement across all the nexus sites? So if I download one mod on Obilivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim and only endorse three, does that count as 75%?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should give free premium membership to members who have uploaded a file that's received X number of downloads, or even an ad-free experience for a fewer number of downloads.

After all, you don't have a site to run without the support of mod makers. You'll simultaneously be giving an incentive for higher quality mods.

You should see about getting on Adblock Plus' "Acceptable Ads" list by the way.

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11954

The site does give something back, it gives unlimited diskspace and unlimited bandwidth along with the means to interact with users and other modders. Before the Nexus came along with its sustainable model we'd often have sites vanish taking everything with them. Over the years many Morrowind mods have been lost because their hosts couldn't keep going. Some communities have to make do with a forum and Rapidshare, we're bloody lucky to have this site.

I was one of those people who though that since I never clicked ads ever...

Well, I've allowed ads for now. I reserve the option to disable again, if they get annoying. ;)

But it seems, from several of the other comments, that that won't be a problem.

I'm 30, and literally have $0 income (welcome to the new economy). I live off of food stamps and my parents own generosity. When I first saw that you might be cutting bandwidth and charging anything, I was annoyed. But after I read the article, I'm actually glad that you're offering options for those of us with nothing to spare. Plus I learned a little something new on how ads work. I think I have a few other sites I need to see if I can allow ads on now.

I actually like the idea of abstaining from endorsing, even without the incentive for doing so. Maybe, you could code an empty space into the endorsements tab on NMM instead of still having an un-filled-in star; but of course, still allow the option to change it later (maybe in the sidebar tools still).

While I'm on the topic of the NMM, would someone kindly direct me (preferably via PM) to the best place to report odd behaviors in the Manager (not quite bugs, but potential oversights)? I keep having an issue with the UI forever extending the scroll bar leaving feet long tabs that take forever to scroll through.

Again, I can see you put a LOT of thought into how you manage this site to benefit all of its community. This isn't the first post I've read that I felt that way about, but it's the first I felt obligated to tell you about. ;) Keep up the good work.

First of all, I do not use an ad-blocker, but I do use No-Script to block Scripts I don't need/trust in. In order to show ads on the nexus-sites, I have to go through loads of scripts that load each other, and most of them don't have a single effect I can notice.

I would really appreciate to support this site, but I don't see why I have to allow ranodm Scripts I don't know to track my data. It would be a lot better if you could reduce that amount, or directly load the adservices with the nexusmods.com script.

Talking about scripts, there is another thing that bothers me: I think to track that data you use to calculate the download speed, you use google-analytics, right? That is a script I will NEVER trust in, because it doesn't just give the information to you, but also saves it in google-databases.

Don't missunderstand me, I'm completely comfortable with the 750 kb/s, but I would appreciate, if you could use another or an own statistics-service!

But after all, lots of thanks for hosting the nexus!

First of all, I do not use an ad-blocker, but I do use No-Script to block Scripts I don't need/trust in. In order to show ads on the nexus-sites, I have to go through loads of scripts that load each other, and most of them don't have a single effect I can notice.

I would really appreciate to support this site, but I don't see why I have to allow ranodm Scripts I don't know to track my data. It would be a lot better if you could reduce that amount, or directly load the adservices with the nexusmods.com script.

Talking about scripts, there is another thing that bothers me: I think to track that data you use to calculate the download speed, you use google-analytics, right? That is a script I will NEVER trust in, because it doesn't just give the information to you, but also saves it in google-databases.

Don't missunderstand me, I'm completely comfortable with the 750 kb/s, but I would appreciate, if you could use another or an own statistics-service!

But after all, lots of thanks for hosting the nexus!

Conceal nothing, and watch the fools search forever.

If you've got nothing to hide then why worry about it?

Hi

I am one of those who block ads.

I realize that sites need money, and I would love to buy a membership, but no income means I can not.

So, why do I keep blocking ads?

The one serve to me right now is a good example of why. It is an ad for a french site about make up. Beside that I am not french, and do not care for make up, the ad is gif, with black, white and pink images changing every quarter of seconds. It makes my eyes twitch, and is giving me an headache. The others ones are non interactive flash ads, which takes up loads of resources for nothing a jpg or gif can't do, and they usually are in a language I don't understand, which gets frustrating.

It would be great if you could be more selective about your advertisers - though I know you can't do much for them not doing geolocalization right, to at least prevent ads which are a hazard to more sensitive peoples (it would be even better if advertisers would stop being asses to begin with, but that is just daydreaming), but in the mean time, I will stick with the ad blocker.

I like the site skins tough, they are usually unintrusive and static, while being sometimes pretty to look at.