Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nofsdad... From the sounds of it, you have already used this site enough to warrant contributing to it... So at this point if you havent, then you prolly never will...

Also you do not have to have a Pay Pal account, you can go through them as a guest, worked the same as any other debit charge for me.

That said, I do agree with a better system for finding the higher quality mods, as I have spent more hours looking through junk mods then I care to count. and I too loath the daily God weapon and Goodsprings home...

Edited by Captiva

Sounds good, I think your taking a reasonable approach, besides the ads never bother me anyway. I try to endorse those I use, but do get behind at times, I believe away to do so in NMM would be helpful. Thanks again!

I partially abstain from endorsing this idea.

First: I have moral objections against paying for something like a website or so. I have three mouths to feed and a tight budget: it would be unethical to waste money on something nonRL, it would feel like stealing from my wife and daughter, both a part of our budget and most importantly quality time together.

Second: Your system could be more drastically. For €1.17 once only, I'll put my objections aside for once and check our couch for some lost coins. No problem there. But just 25% slower? That's as long as scratching your butt!

Why not show goodies between the ads? Like a "2x download speed today", "1 week premium member", "Super-duper endorsement (10 endorsements at once)", "Access to one of the front page hot files (large chance, like 1 in 5)". Click the "GOODIE!!!" ad to earn it. Let goodies expire in 1 month, so people keep watching ads. Problem solved.

Goodies make people happy :) So, who wants GOODIES!!!?

Edited by Mephistocles

I assume none of this will effect Premium members and we get no adds and full speed at all times ??.I want to leave my add blocker on but as i'm a Premium member it wont matter write ??.

Also one gripe i do have is as a premium member i often think why am i paying when the whole website is so slow i often dont get ANY speed benefit from being a paying member because the whole site is so overloaded..

I also think the reason for low endorsement to download is the endorsement system itself instead of making people have to go back find the mod and click endorse,maybe having a popup window once a week that shows your downloads for the week and asks if you would like to endorse any,most people would probably be happy to quickly click the ones they liked without any extra effort on their part...

Also the site could REALLY do with a better system of sorting the crap from the good,maybe have a premium modders section for a small one off fee or whatever the top modders get a special section separate from free up loaders,so people can go straight to the page with all the great stuff and bypass the 80% junk that we have to look through atm.

Edited by madpaddy

I have seen a lot of comments from people about wanting to be able to sort through "crap" mods or have a site area for the "good" mods. Let me say again it goes against everything this site stands for to monetarily limit access to mods. Some folks have pointed out it is illegal (I am not an attorney nor do I play one on tv so I won't go into that) but regardless.....that isn't the point of the Nexus.

No to begin, beauty is as they say, in the eye of the beholder. Things one person perceives as crap mods or as great mods varies widely. You have only to look at the myriad of different mods that show up in the top mods section. That being said we have wondered hard about how we can get good mods, that are from lets say, less popular categories seen and used. Its pretty difficult.

However the place to start is tagging. Authors tagging their files correctly help with search function. On many mods you can also tag them as a downloader and after so many folks tag a category for it...it will show up in the search or tagging search function. However I urge you to tag things properly as improper tagging will get a stern warning or author's closing down the tagging functions of their mods which helps no one.

Also there are several ways to search for mods on this site to help filter out things you do not want to see. I do not think everyone makes proper use of things.

The biggest is to filter out adult content. This will help if you do not like those kinds of things.

The advance search function is a wonderful thing. This is a way to type in keywords from the mod descriptions not just the name of the mod. This helps a great deal especially when you can also specify the mod category (example: armours) at the same time limit the period when the mod was uploaded, updated dates and may other variables.

I often browse categories and sort them in different ways...I use the advanced search a great deal so I can put in time periods and not re-look at mods that have been around a while.

Of course if you have a category or tag item you think would help in the sorting functions....then dance right over to the Nexus Feedback section and post your ideas. We would love to hear them!

I have seen a lot of comments from people about wanting to be able to sort through "crap" mods or have a site area for the "good" mods. Let me say again it goes against everything this site stands for to monetarily limit access to mods. Some folks have pointed out it is illegal (I am not an attorney nor do I play one on tv so I won't go into that) but regardless.....that isn't the point of the Nexus.

No to begin, beauty is as they say, in the eye of the beholder. Things one person perceives as crap mods or as great mods varies widely. You have only to look at the myriad of different mods that show up in the top mods section. That being said we have wondered hard about how we can get good mods, that are from lets say, less popular categories seen and used. Its pretty difficult.

However the place to start is tagging. Authors tagging their files correctly help with search function. On many mods you can also tag them as a downloader and after so many folks tag a category for it...it will show up in the search or tagging search function. However I urge you to tag things properly as improper tagging will get a stern warning or author's closing down the tagging functions of their mods which helps no one.

Also there are several ways to search for mods on this site to help filter out things you do not want to see. I do not think everyone makes proper use of things.

The biggest is to filter out adult content. This will help if you do not like those kinds of things.

The advance search function is a wonderful thing. This is a way to type in keywords from the mod descriptions not just the name of the mod. This helps a great deal especially when you can also specify the mod category (example: armours) at the same time limit the period when the mod was uploaded, updated dates and may other variables.

I often browse categories and sort them in different ways...I use the advanced search a great deal so I can put in time periods and not re-look at mods that have been around a while.

Of course if you have a category or tag item you think would help in the sorting functions....then dance right over to the Nexus Feedback section and post your ideas. We would love to hear them!

You just get rid of "crap" anyway, to do that you'd need someone deciding what is crap and what isn't.

@Jim....well yeah...kinda my point. What I think is crap maybe you wouldn't. No one is going to do that here. As I am sure we agree the beauty of a single-person modded game is everyone can put whatever they want in it.

So everyone make friends with tagging and the advanced search functions to weed out as much "crap" as you want. In my opinion any honest contribution to this community is welcome and deserves a place on the site.

I think endorsing would be more common if there was a more convenient way of doing it. Right now I have around 120 mods installed for Skyrim alone. If I want to endorse them, I have to load up the Nexus page, and either go back and search for every single one, because download history erases at the end of every month, or go single file clicking each version number to bring up their pages.

What would be great is if you could endorse the mods through the Nexus Mod Manager. You already have the star there to signify that we have or haven't endorsed the file, if you could click the star to endorse the file , that would save a hell of a lot of time.