Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

On a lot of forums I frequent, I'm considered rambly and wordy, but generally thoughtful. I think Dark0ne sort of squares both, being more rambly than my very rambly self, but also being more thoughtful than my sometimes thoughtful self.

Makes me glad I finally went Premium for life after one of the novels.

BTW, per endorsements, there's legitimate reason to actually give a positive endorsement to a mod that's not quite your taste or that you don't keep. I often try out a few mods that do the same thing, but endorse all of them. If a mod shows thought and effort and I can see someone as finding it useful for them, I endorse it. I do that because I know endorsements help move things up the list when people naturally sort by endorsements to browse better mods. I can find a mod not to my taste, or something I'm not using, but still see it as work that deserves to be at least considered by others. If we all did this I'd think most mods that aren't buggy or extremely niche interest would have at least 10-20% endorsements. I love the idea of the new system, because if you have to make a choice to endorse or abstain for a benefit, you'll actually think about it instead of just downloading and using without thinking about a literal 2 second way to thank and help an author that improved your game.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Why not just give a rating system? That would have been enough and very common method.

2.About the Adds, why not make surveys to know what kind of adds people that visit nexus pages, like. Also , that would be a way to decide what kind of adds will be more successful. Rating the current adds would be helpful too.

3.Up to this point, you can start thinking of building a web interface system that allow people to have fun on nexus sites. Like table games, web games or anything that can help making people like coming to have a nice time sharing with others.

Edited by AlexSophia

@Lateraliss -- If you use NMM, you should actually be able submit endorsements right from where you manage your mods by clicking on the Star. When you "Check for New Mod Versions" Green swirly on left of mods tab, it'll sync up mods you rated on the site since your last check, and will update the site with ones you favorite in NMM. I have no idea if that's in the works tho. It's still really easy for me to click the big star on the left while the mod is highlighted and that seems to work fine. Edited by Balmeri

1.Why not just give a rating system? That would have been enough and very common method.

2.About the Adds, why not make surveys to know what kind of adds people that visit nexus pages, like. Also , that would be a way to decide what kind of adds will be more successful. Rating the current adds would be helpful too.

If by ratings you mean something like thumbs up or down...it was tried here before and was grossly abused....and now is gone much to the relief of most. :thumbsup:

You don't need to get rid of the crap just have it in a separate section,its not hard to say whats good or crap,modders who constantly get good praise ,high endorsements, high ranking work get a separate section,everything else goes on as it is now.I also didn't say anybody had to pay to download,i did say MAYBE you could charge a small one off fee to top modders to have there own section,but i'm just trying to throw ideas around.I do think the site could be a lot more user friendly with a little thought and or will.

The fact so many have mentioned it shows that it is something a lot of people want or at least think could be improved,im not slagging the site off i love the site i'm happy to pay to help support it,that doesn't mean i don't think it couldn't be even better.

@madpaddy actually it is kind of hard.

Some players consider something like a bow with double daedric stats that is on a table in the Sleeping Giant Inn for the taking to be just the best thing ever. Some hate a beautiful retexture of a silver bow with low stats to be aggravating. Some love quests to get items. Some love a thong and adult stuff, that sickens others. Endorsements, especially if done in bulk is the best way to even out everyone's tastes, not to force a few admins to decide for everyone whether boobs and pubes are crap or whether something isn't lore friendly and thus crap, or that a 50' tall skeletal my little pony amount deserves to be seen.

Browsing or searching you can sort on Endorsements now, and stop looking when it's below you're threshold for good enough.

Edited by Balmeri

@Jim....well yeah...kinda my point. What I think is crap maybe you wouldn't. No one is going to do that here. As I am sure we agree the beauty of a single-person modded game is everyone can put whatever they want in it.

So everyone make friends with tagging and the advanced search functions to weed out as much "crap" as you want. In my opinion any honest contribution to this community is welcome and deserves a place on the site.

Not only that, everyone has to start somewhere. I remember the first thing I made many years ago, it was belt that regenerated mana for Morrowind. I was impressed, sadly no one else was.

@Balmeri

No because most of those kinda mods are A:One off wonders,B:The author wouldn't want to pay to have a separate section just for his one peace of work and C: Wouldn't get a consistent high rank/endorsement, you only need to check the mod top list to see the most popular work,if your work makes the top 20 you get a separate section for your work or your offered it or what ever.I'm not saying my method is the one im saying their must be a better way.