Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Maybe there are so few who endorse, because it takes 3 hours until it lets you endorse. Thats the reason why i sometimes forget it (not all mods need 3 hours to test), but i almost always leave a comment.

Either way Paysafecard would be nice. I dont really wanna do Pay Pal. And i will never switch of Add Block Plus and No Script.

Edited by Nadimos

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, decided to put my money where my mouth is. Signed up for a 6 month trial and just as I flipping knew would happen PayPal won't let me pay for it. I've never had ANYTHING go through PayPal without a major hassle and this is apparently not going to be an exception.

I tried as a guest and it told me that the code from the back of my card is invalid. I use this card and that code everywhere else in the universe with no problem. So then I decided to use my actual account and they said they were unable to link to my new debit card... whatever the flip that means... and that I should use a different card.

Going back now to start the usual hassle with PayPal but if I don't ever become a paying member of this site, it won't be because I didn't try. No biggie. Guess I'll just have to download at dialup speeds if I want something from here again (and can't find it somewhere else).

@Captiva

I wan't particularly insulted and let's just say that your response was part of the motivation I had for actually trying to become a supporter instead of just a dependent. But as usual, the internet's insistence on using PayPal for everything has smacked me right upside the head again.

Edited by Nofsdad

I hope it works for you,

I just logged into the forums and picked what I wanted to pay... Then clicked to use Pay Pal as a guest, and it went through fine and linked to my account instantly... I used a regular bank debit card... Prolly Visa.

Edited by Captiva

@RustyXXL

Yes I exaggerated some. I'm in a rural area of California where the hardwired phone grid hasn't been updated since the 1920s and twisted pair copper wire is all that's available. 56k and down wasn't uncommon for those of us that lived more than 2-3 miles from the nearest PacBell switching vault nor was it uncommon for data transmissions to just stop during peak use hours. I'm on high speed cable now and have been for a few years now else I couldn't be doing the steam thing in the first place.

@Captiva

Called their help center, got them to accept my new debit card and got signed up. Now a dues paying premium member. I'm an old guy on Social Security so options are limited and the 20 bucks is a kick in the head for me but it's worth it just to be rid of those damned flashing ads. ;-)

Now I only hope some changes are made in the way the files are presented. I've at least paid for the right to complain if they aren't.

I've read the full article and I like the changes! Smart with the endorsement system.

My only worry is that the site will be sluggish with the adds, (which is the case with many sites using alot of animated add content). However, as mentioned, I will be able to turn them off in that's the case, and it won't really affect the dl speed all that much, so it really isn't an issue.

Is there a way to see what mods I have downloaded? Like a "history of downloaded mods" list?

That would help me alot to keep track of which mods I should endorse. Maybe even a notification next to each mod to tell me wether I have endorsed it yet or not?

That would really help me to keep track. Because honestly, out of the mods I use, I really don't remember which mods I have endorsed or not. Sometimes you end up in a long gaming session after downloading a couple of mods, and you can't really remember which all of those were.

Good luck and keep up the good work :-)

@ RustyXXL

I agree with you 100%. As long as malvertising is a threat, and the Google malware warning from earlier this week shows that it is a very real threat, I will continue to use ABP, No Script, Ghostrey, and my host file to block ads. It sucks that sites like the Nexus loose money, but my own security online comes before any website, including the Nexus. If it means a slightly slower download speed then so be it. The ad blockers stay on. That being said I'll gladly pay for a supporter/premium membership once there is a way to pay other than Paypal.

McAfee just blocked an ad on one of the user uploaded images. It was possibly a false positive, but McAfee doesn't block things very often so I take the warnings seriously when I see them. Will McAfee blocking an ad count against people?