Proposal: Allow the repackaging of "Dead Mods" for use with modern Mod Managers.

HadToRegister

Here's an example of a mod that was updated by the mod uploader so that it could be installed using Nexus Mod Manager back in 2014 ... CAUTION, this link is NSFW ... HG EyeCandy Body. This is an example of what I'm seeing proposed, with the exception that it won't necessarily be the original mod uploader doing the updating.

I can attest that having a NMM install download reduced the "service calls" in the later part of 2014.

Here's an example of a mod that was updated by the mod uploader so that it could be installed using Nexus Mod Manager back in 2014 ... CAUTION, this link is NSFW ... HG EyeCandy Body. This is an example of what I'm seeing proposed, with the exception that it won't necessarily be the original mod uploader doing the updating.

I can attest that having a NMM install download reduced the "service calls" in the later part of 2014.

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I'm proposing, and this is a great example, because it also has the original FOMM install, as well as the NMM/Vortex install options as well, which I'm proposing.

And seeing as the Mod Authors files go untouched/edited, since they're just being Repackaged, I'm hoping there wouldn't be an issue with what I'm proposing.

Considering that repackaging mods into a Bain format so that I can install them with Wrye Bash/Mash/Flash is only a minor inconvenience I don't see how it would be worth the effort. That said if anyone out there actually wants to go to the effort to do this I won't protest it so long as you don't touch my own mods current or future, though I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to do all that work given how many mods people have made. Though I'm uneasy about it being done without the permission of the author if they don't reply and to be honest because of that I'm kind of hoping your idea doesn't end up going forward because I don't want the drama, nothing personal. But like I said if it does happen I won't protest it unless you touch my mods or any future mods of mine, I won't give permission don't bother asking.

Edited by Zetman20

Considering that repackaging mods into a Bain format so that I can install them with Wrye Bash/Mash/Flash is only a minor inconvenience I don't see how it would be worth the effort. That said if anyone out there actually wants to go to the effort to do this I won't protest it so long as you don't touch my own mods current or future, though I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to do all that work given how many mods people have made. Though I'm uneasy about it being done without the permission of the author if they don't reply and to be honest because of that I'm kind of hoping your idea doesn't end up going forward because I don't want the drama, nothing personal. But like I said if it does happen I won't protest it unless you touch my mods or any future mods of mine, I won't give permission don't bother asking.

Perhaps a possible solution for future mods would be to have a selection when uploading a new mod/update to allow or disalllow repacking in a mod manager friendly manner (that would be No Permission as a default).

The stipulation is that the repackaged mod, gets uploaded to the original modder's mod page, so that any and all downloads of the repackaged mods, goes to the original modder and they get the Endorsements, Downloads and DP for it.

Besides, this entire suggestion is aimed at OLD MODS that weren't packaged properly because they were packaged during the time before there was some kind of standard agreed on.

So, new mods would certainly be skipped because there's an 'understanding' as to how to package mods now.