vortex cannot access a file, but the file does not exist

Supertint

ver: 1.2.20

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Processor Intel® Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product Z97MX-Gaming 5

Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB

Available Physical Memory 11.0 GB

Total Virtual Memory 29.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 22.8 GB

The file it is asking for, does not exist under the directory, or anywhere. I changed the name of the pref file to what it asks for, nothing, it is not read only, but again, it is asking for a file that does not exist.

I have a 500gb digital C drive and a large D drive. I have all my games installed on D. The system is on C....

Even though Skyrim SE is on your D: drive, Bethesda puts save games and ini files in Documents/My Games. That is on your C: drive.

In my case - I also relocated Documents off the C: drive. I just like my boot drive - uncluttered.

Your problem is that Vortex can't write to that directory. Permissions or anti-virus most likely. Whitelist Vortex if you can.

right click skyrim.ini.base pick SECURITY, EDIT the permissions

From the "Access Denied" thread right below this one with the same problem:

I fixed it! Just right click at your Program Files then go to security. Go to advanced and change the ownership of the file to Users. Once you've changed the ownership to Users, you can allow Users to have Full Control of the files.

right click skyrim.ini.base pick SECURITY, EDIT the permissions

From the "Access Denied" thread right below this one with the same problem:

I went to that sub directory, that file does not exist....

I fixed it! Just right click at your Program Files then go to security. Go to advanced and change the ownership of the file to Users. Once you've changed the ownership to Users, you can allow Users to have Full Control of the files.

So, just move my documents to the D drive? Will windows/the game recognize this?

Even though Skyrim SE is on your D: drive, Bethesda puts save games and ini files in Documents/My Games. That is on your C: drive.

In my case - I also relocated Documents off the C: drive. I just like my boot drive - uncluttered.

Your problem is that Vortex can't write to that directory. Permissions or anti-virus most likely. Whitelist Vortex if you can.

I moved my documents folder to the D drive, unistalled vortex, reinstalled - during which, got the same message... :sad: Weird...

That's because no matter where you move the Documents folder, Windows will always overzealously protect it.

You just needed to right click on the folder and set the Security setting so that you have read/write access.

Same with the BAKED file etc.

rm200 never said to move the Documents folder to D, he said

And if the file does not exist?

Go to SETTINGS--------->VORTEX-----------Multi-User Mode

Is it set to SHARED or Per-User?

Go to SETTINGS----------->INTERFACE---------->Advanced-----------> Is Profile Management Turned On or Off?

It's trying to access a file that isn't there because most likely it doesn't have Permission to Create the file in the first place.

Are you using Windows Defender?

If so, Turn of "Controlled Folder Access"

You never mentioned if you tried the fix I posted where the person changed the security settings.

You might need to do that with the FOLDER so Vortex can create the BAKED file