Need Help with OBSE and the Blockhead Plugin

TLC77

I am going to go through this quickly as to not waste time. All of my information will be in bullet points. Sorry for sounding so abrasive.

• I wanted to run Oblivion with OCO but whenever I started the game, with blockhead installed or not, it told me "install blockhead"

• I installed OBSE correctly, I followed the instructions and installed the last version

• I run Steam as Administrator, and to that extension oblivion.exe and obse_loader.exe

• I added the Steam/steamapps/common folder into my antiviruses' exclusion list

• I turned on the Steam overlay

• I tried running Oblivion without the Character Overhaul in order for blockhead to generate it's .ini file

• It didn't for many times, so I created my own blockhead.ini file with all the text needed I saw from an old forum post

• After trying to run Oblivion with the Character Overhaul, it told me "install blockhead"

• I tried creating a save right after the character creation screen to see if there will be an obse save, but there wasn't

I don't know what to do at this point, please help and thank you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first step for troubleshooting this is always ... determine if OBSE is working.

Start the game and make a save. Exit and then look in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder and see if you now see two save files with the same base name but different file extensions (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse) or do you only see one save file each time you save.

One save file means that OBSE is not working. No OBSE = no Blockhead = OCO v2 error face.

The first step for troubleshooting this is always ... determine if OBSE is working.

Start the game and make a save. Exit and then look in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder and see if you now see two save files with the same base name but different file extensions (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse) or do you only see one save file each time you save.

One save file means that OBSE is not working. No OBSE = no Blockhead = OCO v2 error face.

Sorry if i will sound rude, but I already said in my post that I don't get obse save files.

Sorry I missed that, my bad. I see it now down at the end.

That means what you are needing to resolve is why OBSE is not working.

Are you starting the game using Steam, or by starting the game from a desktop shortcut?

Sorry I missed that, my bad. I see it now down at the end.

That means what you are needing to resolve is why OBSE is not working.

Are you starting the game using Steam, or by starting the game from a desktop shortcut?

I tried both ways. Usually I start Oblivion on a desktop shortcut.

From my understanding (which is based on what I've read regarding the Steam version of Oblivion ... I am a disk guy) you need to start Oblivion via Steam for Steam to load OBSE.

There is a new unofficial version of OBSE available now that does away with this need for using Steam (or perhaps it is Steam Overlay) to start the Steam version of the game and get OBSE to load. It can be found here if you want to try this new unofficial version of OBSE, or we can try further steps to try to figure out why OBSE version 021 is not working.

I am going to go through this quickly as to not waste time. All of my information will be in bullet points. Sorry for sounding so abrasive.

• I wanted to run Oblivion with OCO but whenever I started the game, with blockhead installed or not, it told me "install blockhead"

• I installed OBSE correctly, I followed the instructions and installed the last version

• I run Steam as Administrator, and to that extension oblivion.exe and obse_loader.exe

• I tried running Oblivion without the Character Overhaul in order for blockhead to generate it's .ini file

• It didn't for many times, so I created my own blockhead.ini file with all the text needed I saw from an old forum post

• After trying to run Oblivion with the Character Overhaul, it told me "install blockhead"

• I tried creating a save right after the character creation screen to see if there will be an obse save, but there wasn't

Why are you running everything as an Administrator?

That's going to bite you in the arse later on down the line with Mod Managers and other games.

Why are you running everything as an Administrator?

That's going to bite you in the arse later on down the line with Mod Managers and other games.

The wonderful thing about the Internet is that if you search far and wide enough you will find advice that suits any taste HadTo.

My own rather uninformed experience trying to help Steam users with OBSE/Blockhead issues is that somewhere someone will claim success with every possible option ever suggested.

So maybe it just boils down to "doing stuff" until it is fixed ... it's about the only common denominator I've ever been able to discern.

The touchstone that I have found to make sense of all this can be seen in the Sept 19, 2020 post by Zariel in the topic started by Zariel on Sept 17, 2020 in the Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2 mod comments.

From my understanding (which is based on what I've read regarding the Steam version of Oblivion ... I am a disk guy) you need to start Oblivion via Steam for Steam to load OBSE.

There is a new unofficial version of OBSE available now that does away with this need for using Steam (or perhaps it is Steam Overlay) to start the Steam version of the game and get OBSE to load. It can be found here if you want to try this new unofficial version of OBSE, or we can try further steps to try to figure out why OBSE version 021 is not working.

Ok I'm back. I downloaded this community version of OBSE and after I launched Oblivion, my Blockhead.ini generated! Unfortunately however, now when I activate something, or I save my game freezes. Also even if I run Oblivion with OCO, the character face changes do not take place, they look exactly the same as vanilla. I also stopped running Steam as admin and disabled voerlay.

Ok I'm back. I downloaded this community version of OBSE and after I launched Oblivion, my Blockhead.ini generated! Unfortunately however, now when I activate something, or I save my game freezes. Also even if I run Oblivion with OCO, the character face changes do not take place, they look exactly the same as vanilla. I also stopped running Steam as admin and disabled overlay.