Need Help with OBSE and the Blockhead Plugin

TLC77

Follow the installation instructions for OBSE that come in the OBSE zip file

[ Installation ]
IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

I already did that a long time ago.

Look for OBSE_LOADER.LOG

If you don't have an LOG files that have OBSE in the name then it's not installed correctly, or it's not running at all.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you have Steam (and thus Oblivion) installed (meaning the exact folder path to Oblivion.exe in it's entirety, starting at the hard drive letter).?

What version of Windows are you running?

Did you try the experimental support for launching obse_loader.exe directly with steam? Rename OblivionLauncher.exe to something and obse_loader.exe to OblivionLauncher.exe and try running the game from Steam. It might work, it does for me on Linux

Nope, didn't work. Whenever I try loading Oblivion it tells me to "have steam overlay" and that "you are running the steam version, steam users should bla bla bla". But whenever I try loading "oblivion.exe" (oblivionlauncher.exe) then the menu just reopens whenever I press play.

xOBSE v21.8 shouldn't nag the user anymore, that's been removed outright (but unsupported)

Follow the installation instructions for OBSE that come in the OBSE zip file

[ Installation ]
IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

I already did that a long time ago.

Look for OBSE_LOADER.LOG

If you don't have an LOG files that have OBSE in the name then it's not installed correctly, or it's not running at all.

I already posted an obse_loader.log somewhere here in the forum post in one of my comments.

Where do you have Steam (and thus Oblivion) installed (meaning the exact folder path to Oblivion.exe in it's entirety, starting at the hard drive letter).?

Program FIles (x86)

I have the 2004 version of Windows 10

If OBSE isn't running, then turn off RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR on STEAM, OBSE, and OBLIVION, there is no reason whatsoever to run everything, especially games, as Administrator

Most likely OBSE won't run because you have everything Elevated to run as admin

It still doesn't work.

Did you try the experimental support for launching obse_loader.exe directly with steam? Rename OblivionLauncher.exe to something and obse_loader.exe to OblivionLauncher.exe and try running the game from Steam. It might work, it does for me on Linux

Nope, didn't work. Whenever I try loading Oblivion it tells me to "have steam overlay" and that "you are running the steam version, steam users should bla bla bla". But whenever I try loading "oblivion.exe" (oblivionlauncher.exe) then the menu just reopens whenever I press play.

xOBSE v21.8 shouldn't nag the user anymore, that's been removed outright (but unsupported)

i was using the regular OBSE.

Program FIles (x86)

I believe we will continue banging our heads against the wall on this as long as you have Steam (and thus Oblivion) installed in any UAC protected folder.

Yes there are ways that you can subvert UAC's interference by turning off various things that then hobble UAC's ability to interfere (but also protect) you and your computer. I do not advocate those methods.

Create a folder C:\Games or C:\Steam and then reinstall/move Steam to that folder (use this Steam page as a guide). I personally would prefer to suggest that after moving Steam out of a UAC protected folder you start with a brand new Steam installation of Oblivion, but that is because I'm unaware of all the possible things that are present in your current UAC affected Oblivion install ... a clean piece of paper is easier to use to get a fresh start in my opinion.

Once you have done that start the game and confirm that the base vanilla game (absolutely nothing else installed) works correctly.

Then install OBSE ... just OBSE, nothing else, and start the game. Make a save and then exit. Look in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder and see if you see a single save file (e.g. MySave09.ess) or if you see two save files with the same base name but different file extensions (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse).

If you do not see two save files there is absolutely no reason to go any further.

Program FIles (x86)

I believe we will continue banging our heads against the wall on this as long as you have Steam (and thus Oblivion) installed in any UAC protected folder.

Yes there are ways that you can subvert UAC's interference by turning off various things that then hobble UAC's ability to interfere (but also protect) you and your computer. I do not advocate those methods.

Create a folder C:\Games or C:\Steam and then reinstall/move Steam to that folder (use this Steam page as a guide). I personally would prefer to suggest that after moving Steam out of a UAC protected folder you start with a brand new Steam installation of Oblivion, but that is because I'm unaware of all the possible things that are present in your current UAC affected Oblivion install ... a clean piece of paper is easier to use to get a fresh start in my opinion.

Once you have done that start the game and confirm that the base vanilla game (absolutely nothing else installed) works correctly.

Then install OBSE ... just OBSE, nothing else, and start the game. Make a save and then exit. Look in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder and see if you see a single save file (e.g. MySave09.ess) or if you see two save files with the same base name but different file extensions (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse).

If you do not see two save files there is absolutely no reason to go any further.

Fine, I will commit to it, i just have one question though. I have New California for FNV and it has a .exe file in order to download it. Also, will I have to reinstall all my games all over again?