ZeniMax's New Online Engine

Moksha8088

Microsoft's recent buyout of ZeniMax (Bethesda, id, ZeniMax Online, etc) also gives more color to this upcoming project. Tardiff's words align with what Todd Howard says about Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, both of which are getting a massive engine overhaul for next-gen consoles.

Microsoft's funding and support will help power these new optimizations, as well as ensure much more compatibility, efficiency, and performance on Xbox consoles and Windows 10 PCs. We'll also likely see ZeniMax adapt their new online-driven IP to the lucrative Game Pass model, which emphasizes replayability, digital monetization, and subscription retention.

In fact, it's likely ZeniMax Online was planning this new IP specifically for the Microsoft buyout. Acquisition talks between Microsoft and ZeniMax began as early as 2018.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75481/zenimax-onlines-new-ip-built-with-engine-will-be-another-mmorpg/index.html

So enjoy your games with the lucrative monthly subscription. However, I am hoping the current modded games can be extended indefinitely because that lucrative subscription model of paying per month seems terrible.

ZOS has a very successful game with ESO, up with WoW and FF14 online. No idea why they want to fragment their userbase like this. People tend to choose one MMO and stick to it as they tend to be heavy time investments.

Edited by Ethreon

However, I am hoping the current modded games can be extended indefinitely because that lucrative subscription model of paying per month seems terrible.

What do you mean by that?!?!

Are you saying that maybe some day FO4 or Skyrim will come up with a message saying "You need to create an account and pay to play" or what?

Because if that were to happen, M$ would be some nasty letters from me ... (Nobody takes stuff away from me! NOBODY!) :ninja: :nuke:

If not, what does this have to do with FO4?

I am very much scared right now ...... :sad:

However, I am hoping the current modded games can be extended indefinitely because that lucrative subscription model of paying per month seems terrible.

I doubt the status of current games will change. We have already purchased them. I am hoping that mod authors will continue making mods for Bethesda's non-subscription games for many years to come. Three cheers for Nexus mod authors.

However, this new announcement sounds like upcoming titles such as Starfield and the Elder Scrolls 6 will be subscription games in order to help Microsoft recoup its massive expenditure in purchasing ZeniMax Media.

Did you know that some people are still playing Morrowind? Think how much money they would have spent on a monthly subscription since 2002.

I doubt the status of current games will change. We have already purchased them. I am hoping that mod authors will continue making mods for Bethesda's non-subscription games for many years to come. Three cheers for Nexus mod authors.

However, this new announcement sounds like upcoming titles such as Starfield and the Elder Scrolls 6 will be subscription games in order to help Microsoft recoup its massive expenditure in purchasing ZeniMax Media.

Did you know that some people are still playing Morrowind? Think how much money they would have spent on a monthly subscription since 2002.

Well, that's at least SOME good news ...

In that case, I won't be buying / playing ES6.

(Because in order to have a system like that work, you would have to regularly "go online" so that the software can check if the subscription has been payed. And I don't want anything to do with "not-completely-offline-software". Depending on external things like that just makes it possible for people to take it away from me ...

As for "completely offline software", nobody can take that away from me! I have lots of backups hidden in all sorts of places and a few computers that haven't been "connected" to the internet for years ...)

For me, it's not about the money, it's about the dependency on uncontrollable thngs.

That's why I don't use any "subscription" software.

It's not that I am too greedy, I just have a very deep fear of "people taking things away from me".

(I know, I have some problems ...)

And gaming / modding has been my "safe place" for the longest time ....

So, I will stay here forever!

(Because there is no other place to go; no other game is as easily moddable as FO / ElderScrolls)

Yes, I am one of the people who still (sometimes) plays Morrowind. I just bought it recently and it is a bit weird to get into, but it is a cool game if you get used to it.

As for the "because we already bought the current games":

I am pretty sure that there is a thing in the EndUserLicenceAgreement that says that they can change the terms of that agreement at any point ...

EDIT:

I just wish that there was something we as "users" could do to stop this "subscription trend" that the whole software-industry is experiencing right now ...

But I don't think that there is any (peaceful) was to stop it ...

Sad, really ....

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

Beth makes good money on their single player games, even though they are NOT subscription-based. I really don't see that changing. Besides, TESVI is already at least partially developed on the existed engine. (however much it may have been modified.....) I expect FO5 will be the same. (same engine as TESVI, and not sub-based.) I also fully expect that they will release the CS for both games at some point after release as well. Beth has a winning formula there, changing it would be a bad idea.

Beth makes good money on their single player games, even though they are NOT subscription-based. I really don't see that changing. Besides, TESVI is already at least partially developed on the existed engine. (however much it may have been modified.....) I expect FO5 will be the same. (same engine as TESVI, and not sub-based.) I also fully expect that they will release the CS for both games at some point after release as well. Beth has a winning formula there, changing it would be a bad idea.

Makes sense!

But the worst part about the "subscription based payment'" thing is that it also makes sense:

Or would you rather get payed only once in a few years for working every day? No, you would probably prefer to get paid every month ...

That's why it is so difficult to do something against this scheme:

Because it is a logical thing.

So there are sadly almost no arguements agianst it, only my "personal problems with it" ....

Makes sense!

But the worst part about the "subscription based payment'" thing is that it also makes sense:

Or would you rather get payed only once in a few years for working every day? No, you would probably prefer to get paid every month ...

So there are sadly almost no arguements agianst it, only my "personal problems with it" ....

They are selling product, not a continuing service. They make a HUGE pile of money initially, and then income tapers off over time. Just like any other game. For beth games though, it isn't just 'one and done'. The modding community grants extraordinary longevity to these games. They are still selling Morrowind, after all. Almost 20 years after its release. What other game can make that claim? :)

Game development, in this case, is an investment. The return comes when the game is released. This particular model has been working great for decades, and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Besides, who is going to pay a subscription fee for a single player game?? :)

Makes sense!

They are selling product, not a continuing service. They make a HUGE pile of money initially, and then income tapers off over time. Just like any other game. For beth games though, it isn't just 'one and done'. The modding community grants extraordinary longevity to these games. They are still selling Morrowind, after all. Almost 20 years after its release. What other game can make that claim? :smile:

Game development, in this case, is an investment. The return comes when the game is released. This particular model has been working great for decades, and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Besides, who is going to pay a subscription fee for a single player game?? :smile:

Alright, you have a point there ...

I think I just need to stop worrying about this ...

(Everytime somethng like this comes up, I just get "triggered", sorry for that ...)

Makes sense!

They are selling product, not a continuing service. They make a HUGE pile of money initially, and then income tapers off over time. Just like any other game. For beth games though, it isn't just 'one and done'. The modding community grants extraordinary longevity to these games. They are still selling Morrowind, after all. Almost 20 years after its release. What other game can make that claim? :smile:

Game development, in this case, is an investment. The return comes when the game is released. This particular model has been working great for decades, and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Besides, who is going to pay a subscription fee for a single player game?? :smile:

Alright, you have a point there ...

I think I just need to stop worrying about this ...

(Everytime somethng like this comes up, I just get "triggered", sorry for that ...)

No worries. :) Myself, I am in 'wait and see' mode. I will wait until the game(s) have been out for a while before I purchase..... Let beth iron out some of the more glaring 'release day' bugs, and modders get a handle on what neat tricks they can make the game engine do. :) If they do something truly stupid, I simply won't buy the game. :)