ENB + HDT SMP = CTD on Continue/Load/New Game

ff7legend

As the title implies, I'm having issues with ENB crashing my game on Continue/Load/New Game when running it alongside HDT SMP. If I remove ENB, the CTDs go away. My Skyrim SE is up to date (1.5.97) as is SKSE64 (2.0.19). I also use CBBE 3BA Lite body & KS Hairdos SMP. Does anyone have any ideas as to why ENB would crash the game when running it alongside HDT SMP?

ff7legend

Strange indeed... Never experienced any crashes due to ENB in years of modding Skyrim...

What ENB binaries are you using and what preset? And did you try an older version of ENB and/or a different preset? Would be interesting to know if it's ENB in general or rather a certain version of it or a certain preset.

In case you don't already know it: ENB Manager is a great tool for testing different ENB configurations (or simply switching between different ENBs).

EDIT: Just curious - what makes you think that there's an interference between ENB and HDT? In theory, one should have no impact on the other - except maybe the fact that both can be quite taxing on your system.

I was using ENB Binaries 0.448 & Ominous ENB by firemanaf... As previously stated, removing all ENB files from my Skyrim Special Edition folder fixes the issue. I can't even use PrivateProfileRedirector or SSE Display Tweaks for the same reason.... CTD on Continue/Load/New Game if any of these are installed alongside HDT SMP.

ff7legend

I apologize for being off topic, this is just a question for my continuing education in SSE. I do not understand the Continue/Load/New Game command.

What is the purpose for using it? How do you enter it into the start-up menu, if that is where you enter it?

Thank you for bearing with me on this topic.

These are options on the Skyrim SE main menu. Whenever I have ENB & HDT SMP running together, the game will not load. It CTDs (crash to desktop) whenever any of these options are selected on the main menu screen... If ENB is removed, the game loads just fine.

ff7legend

I'm with Algabar, try a different ENB preset and see if the problem persists. Or even better, just install the ENB binaries without using a preset and see if that works.

Another thing to try is, get to the main menu then disable your ENB, usually by pressing Shift+F12, and see if it will load.

Just tried it with only the ENB Binaries installed... The result? CTD on Continue/Load/New Game. Like I said, ENB will not work alongside HDT SMP on my system... Have no clue as to why & yes, I have ENB added as an exception to my antivirus program.

ff7legend

The game loads so long as d3d11.dll isn't present within my Skyrim Special Edition folder for the record. If d3d11.dll is present, the game will not load after Continue/Load/New Game are selected from the main menu. CTD is always the end result upon any attempt to load the game with d3d11.dll present.

ff7legend

Did you try replacing your ENB binaries with a fresh install, just to see if that was the problem?

I can't even use PrivateProfileRedirector or SSE Display Tweaks

Are you sure it's not something in your SKSE install that is the problem, either SKSE itself, or one of it's dependent plugins? I know you called out SMP specifically, but several SKSE plugins also use d3dxxx.dll files, and I'm just wondering if one of those might be conflicting somehow.

In addition to the sound advice by saurusmaximus:

If certain .dll files crash the game, you might also have a problem with your directx 11 setup. Usually, the required files SHOULD already have been installed as part of Windows - or if they aren't, Steam would install them automatically alongside Skyrim SE. Most GPU drivers also check for directx functionality. So, directx normally isn't a problem, you get the required files one way or another.

Did you start your game at least once through Steam (not SKSE)? That's the point when Steam would check for directx AFAIK. If you did: Try to "verify game cache" in Steam.

Despite everything I said before, in some rare cases, there can be directx issues. Skyrim needs directx 11 - which isn't the current version. In this case a last resort would be to download these files from Microsoft.

Caution though: This update can't be automatically uninstalled like other WIndows updates. If something goes wrong, you would have to clean up files manually... So I'd only use it if everything else fails.