Questions about changes to what is considered inappropriate content

samtheeman

I think the decision to change the mod policy is ok. Surely the Allies committed several war crimes during WWII (not on the same level than others, one could argue), surely there existed a lot of genocidal behavior of peoples and nations other than that of Nazi Germany before and after, surely Messrs. Lenin, Stalin or Mao Zedong succeeded to kill a huge amount of humans too. But the Nazi symbols are actually in modern use for a certain political agenda and as such more problematic than other stuff. It's good to get rid of them. I wouldn't mind if other symbols would be targeted too, if they stood for a simplistic ideology of antagonism. I don't want to see fanatical Christian, Islamic or communist propaganda either, for example. Very difficult to judge without doing a patronising censorship of course.

If World War 2 history is of interest to you, I would suggest visiting a museum on the matter. Some of the best (and most horrific) ones include Auschwitz (Auschwitz.org), Dachau Memorial and Museum (Kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de), Caen Memorial Museum (Normandy.memorial-caen.com), Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (Sachsenhausen-sbg.de), Historical Museum of the City of Krakow (Muzeumkrakowa.pl), or for the Americans, The National World War II Museum (Nationalww2museum.org).

Nexus Mods is not a museum nor a curator of history. What Nexus Mods deems inappropriate is up to Robin Scott and his team, and they have deemed that content related to the Axis powers of WW2 is not appropriate for this website at this time. And it is up to the moderation staff to uphold these rules by discerning what violates the rules and what does not, using our own judgement and the guidance of the community managers.

Wonder if the modders who spent hours doing content about the darker times of germany will have a chance to backup their work or if stuff will just be outright deleted from now on.
Y'know, a bunch of modders trust the site and wouldn't bother keeping backups, or lost the backups long ago...

I think the decision to change the mod policy is ok. Surely the Allies committed several war crimes during WWII (not on the same level than others, one could argue), surely there existed a lot of genocidal behavior of peoples and nations other than that of Nazi Germany before and after, surely Messrs. Lenin, Stalin or Mao Zedong succeeded to kill a huge amount of humans too. But the Nazi symbols are actually in modern use for a certain political agenda and as such more problematic than other stuff. It's good to get rid of them. I wouldn't mind if other symbols would be targeted too, if they stood for a simplistic ideology of antagonism. I don't want to see fanatical Christian, Islamic or communist propaganda either, for example. Very difficult to judge without doing a patronising censorship of course.

finally an actual solid response that isn't trying to brand me as something for liking certain user created content in a sp fictional game or adding nothing to the topic, thanks.

I mean yeah I'm ultimately fine that nexus made this choice its their platform, I think they could of been more direct to the community with the changes because it's such a large change and has some uncertainty to it but what ever. and I'm not sure on what is deemed not ok and ok in terms of content beyond what has been removed that could be potentially related to such things like the mods I linked in the original post. and yeah I would like the implementation of such things not look to be completely biased.

Wonder if the modders who spent hours doing content about the darker times of germany will have a chance to backup their work or if stuff will just be outright deleted from now on.

Y'know, a bunch of modders trust the site and wouldn't bother keeping backups, or lost the backups long ago...

as far as I'm aware just like animations mod for fallout new Vegas where the author deleted it your the best bet of getting is finding the needle in the haystack of a user who has the mod.

finally an actual solid response that isn't trying to brand me as something for liking certain user created content in a sp fictional game or adding nothing to the topic, thanks.

I mean yeah I'm ultimately fine that nexus made this choice its their platform, I think they could of been more direct to the community with the changes because it's such a large change and has some uncertainty to it but what ever. and I'm not sure on what is deemed not ok and ok in terms of content beyond what has been removed that could be potentially related to such things like the mods I linked in the original post. and yeah I would like the implementation of such things not look to be completely biased.

as far as I'm aware just like animations mod for fallout new Vegas where the author deleted it your the best bet of getting is finding the needle in the haystack of a user who has the mod.

Well, if users can find the long gone mods in random sketchy sites now, i guess the authors can do the same eh? :turned:

If someone doesn't have backups of their own work and assets, that's 110% their own fault. Nexus Mods is a hosting service, not a file backup service. Simple as that.

Why is it only axis when the allies committed what would be considered offensive crimes against humanity during WW2 as well?

This is not only a false equivalency, it ignores the importance of ideology, intent and symbology.

The Nazis had a stated policy, based on a twisted ideology, of the genocide of Jews, 'gypsies' and other groups that they considered inferior. They were also masters of propaganda and they co-opted symbols as a powerful way of communicating their ideology. They did it so well that the swastika is still one of the most emotive symbols in history and is 'synonymous' with hate and facism.

Even if we agree for the sake of the argument that the allies did commit atrocities, it wasn't done in the service of an abhorrent, inhuman ideology and there was no intent to commit acts like genocide. And there's no equivalent symbology.

If someone doesn't have backups of their own work and assets, that's 110% their own fault. Nexus Mods is a hosting service, not a file backup service. Simple as that.

This. I also have to question who these people are that spend hours making content like this.