FOMM Crashes at Package Manager

gconeen

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit. Whenever I click on Package Manager, if I try to login, it crashes and I get this

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WebsiteAPIs.NexusAPI.get_LoginKey()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.WebsiteLogin()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager..ctor(MainForm mf)
at Fomm.MainForm.bPackageManager_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
And if I hit cancel and try to Add a FOMod, it crashes and I get this:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Fomm.PackageManager.FomodBuilder.FomodFromSourceBuilder.BuildFomodFromSource(String p_strPath, NexusAPI p_nxaNexus)
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.AddNewFomod(String p_strPath)
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.addFOMODToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.PerformClick()
at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Edited by gconeen

• 5 months later...

I am having this same problem. Just reinstalled the FOMM from the link specified in this thread, Package Manager still just freezes up and never recovers.

What is causing this? It just started up one day and I have no idea how to treat it or troubleshoot it.

One other note. FOMM has an issue when running inside the "Program Files" section on newer machines. If you haven't already, try installing it in a root directory.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's the combination of a connectivity issue with NM's servers and poor coding.

Examining the crash dump reveals that the error occuring is a pointer referencing a NULL object.

The object in question is part of an API used in FOMM to login to NM.

The method of the object being executed:

WebsiteAPIs.NexusAPI.get_LoginKey()

is failing, and thus the object that should be returned after successful execution is not.

This is poor error handling on the developer's part, plain and simple.

ALL object oriented programming languages have the capacity to catch exceptions and deal with them appropriately.

Turning the options off is a workaround but it shouldn't be necessary; A patch should be released.

The application's inability to connect to NM's servers is another issue entirely though; At least NMM traps the error appropriately.

From my experience, the inability to connect to their servers is a natural DoS. NMM even says so upon attempting login, essentially: "Could not reach blah blah server."

I've had maybe 2 successful logins in NMM, all other attempts failed thanks to server issues.

Whether it's a server capacitance issue or a ploy by NM to get users to buy access to their premium servers matters not.

PROBLEM SOLVED...

well, at least accurately identified. :pirate:

Edited by MasterObserver

• 4 years later...

Open FOMM, left click on "Settings", under "General" clear everything in the "Options" section.

This Works! for me. using fomm 0.13.21 with FO3, already logged in to my Nexus account. Whereas before doing what M48A5 recommended I could not login to Package Manager without inducing a crash, now I am able to log in to it without problem of crash. High praise and thanks to M48A5.

inahut

Edited by inahut

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I know it's been years since the last post but I also encounter this problem. What I did was when I click "package manager" I click no to the next two pop ups asking about updating stuff and after that It work like a charm. Hope this helps someone in the future.