Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, and Dragonborn.esm are all broken

LilacDude
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

I bought Skyrim: Special Edition through Steam. I have verified the integrity of my files through Steam several times. No matter what I do both Vortex and Loot say that Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, and Dragonborn.esm are all dirty and missing parts. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Nothin I do works. Not only that but Vortex says most of my mods are missing master files. Loot claims that this is because of the three messed up files and a problem with two quests under ccbgsse060-ba_dragonscale.esl. I have done everything I can to fix this. I used xEdit as much as possible too. It tells me things are missing and wrong, but I do not know how to fix any of it. After more attempts to fix my problems, Loot decided to not recognize my files anymore. I clearly do not know what I am doing. Please help!

Don't use LOOT and Vortex together, LOOT is already built into Vortex.

Yes, Vortex and Loot will report dirty esps and esms, that doesn't mean you have to clean them.

Which Mods are missing master files, and which masters are they missing.
It would be very helpful to say exactly WHAT Vortex is reporting as Errors and Missing Masters

Yes, Vortex and Loot will report dirty esps and esms, that doesn't mean you have to clean them.

It would be very helpful to say exactly WHAT Vortex is reporting as Errors and Missing Masters

I used LOOT only because one of the mods I installed recommended using it to help sort things. Every mod that is not a patch randomly shows it is missing master files. It won't tell me what is missing though, and the little red icon only appears occasionally. The appearance is not reliable enough to get information on the problem on a whim. I know something is going wrong because SKSE64 and SkyUI SE will not work, and every time I try to change my character's hair to something from the KS Hairdos mod the whole game crashes. I have downloaded everything I need to and checked which update my game has {1.5.97.0.8}. I am extremely new to modding things. The only modding I have done is using Forge for Minecraft. I have the 7zip thing I need to be able to unzip files as well.

Edited by LilacDude

I used LOOT only because one of the mods I installed recommended using it to help sort things. Every mod that is not a patch randomly shows it is missing master files. It won't tell me what is missing though, and the little red icon only appears occasionally. The appearance is not reliable enough to get information on the problem on a whim. I know something is going wrong because SKSE64 and SkyUI SE will not work, and every time I try to change my character's hair to something from the KS Hairdos mod the whole game crashes. I have downloaded everything I need to and checked which update my game has {1.5.97.0.8}. I am extremely new to modding things. The only modding I have done is using Forge for Minecraft. I have the 7zip thing I need to be able to unzip files as well.

Yes, the MOD suggests using LOOT, however, LOOT is already built into Vortex, if you keep using Vortex and Standalone LOOT together, you're going to make Loot fight with itself.

The Red Warning usually has a Button on it to display more info etc.

It will either say something like SHOW, or VIEW

How did you install SKSE64?

Yes, the MOD suggests using LOOT, however, LOOT is already built into Vortex, if you keep using Vortex and Standalone LOOT together, you're going to make Loot fight with itself.

The Red Warning usually has a Button on it to display more info etc.

It will either say something like SHOW, or VIEW

How did you install SKSE64?

I started my journey by Googling how to mod Skyrim: Special Edition from Steam. A website said to use Vortex. I went to the wiki for nexus mods and followed the steps. I got to the SkyUI section and followed what it said. When I went to download it, I saw I needed SKSE64. I followed the link to the website for downloading SKSE64. I saw the option for "Current SE build 2.0.19 (runtime 1.5.97)" so I chose that option. I downloaded the 7zip unlocker using the link on the SKSE64 website. I opened the archive of the SKSE64 file and followed the instructions left in the readme file. I copied the .dll and .exe files into my Skyrim SE directory. I next copied the .pex files into the Data\Scripts folder of my game. I do not create mods, so I did not copy over the .psc files. The next step was to run skse64_loader.exe to launch the game. When I did this, I was given the notice that Windows decided to not allow it to run. I selected the option to run it anyway. Doing this opens a black window and an error both saying "Couldn't find SkyrimSE.exe." Opening the actual game it tells me that my version of SKSE64 is all zeroes instead of the proper numbers and that it was expecting the correct version. Vortex says everything is up to date, and Steam says the same thing.

Thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated! :)

I'm guessing you have Steam installed in your Program Files (x86) folder, Windows likes to overprotect that folder, and it could be a permissions problem.

1. If you're using Windows Defender, turn off "Controlled Folder Access"
2. Make sure you have Windows UAC turned on. Control Panel----->Security and Maintenance---->Change User Account Control Settings---->Turn that up to the RECOMMENDED setting
3. In Vortex, go to SETTINGS----->MODS---->Check if the DEPLOY Method is set to HARDLINK.

Thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated! :smile:

I'm guessing you have Steam installed in your Program Files (x86) folder, Windows likes to overprotect that folder, and it could be a permissions problem.

1. If you're using Windows Defender, turn off "Controlled Folder Access"

2. Make sure you have Windows UAC turned on. Control Panel----->Security and Maintenance---->Change User Account Control Settings---->Turn that up to the RECOMMENDED setting

3. In Vortex, go to SETTINGS----->MODS---->Check if the DEPLOY Method is set to HARDLINK.

1. I am using Windows Defender. I checked it, and Controlled Folder Access was already turned off.

2. I moved the bar to the top that also said recommended.

3. I changed my Vortex deploy method to hardlink since it had not been already.

Doing all of this did not change how SKSE64 runs in my game. The two errors in game read as follows:

"SKYUI ERROR CODE 1 The Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64) is not running. SkyUI will not work correctly! This message may also appear if a new Skyrim Patch has been released. In this case, wait until SKSE64 has been updated, then install the new version. For more help, visit the SkyUI SE Nexus or Workshop pages."

"RaceMenu Error(s): You are running SKSE Version 0.0.0.0 expected 2.0.7.56 or greater. SKSE script veresion mismatch detected (65) expected (0). Please reinstall your SKSE scripts to match your version. NiOverride plugin not detected, various features may be unavailable. Error Codes: (0)(1)(3)"

• Solution

Try right clicking on the skse_loader.exe and set it to "run as admin"

What causes ‘SKYUI Error Code 1’ when launching Skyrim through SKSE?

This error message is very generic and can occur to a number of different users for simplest of reasons. Some of the reasons why this error message occurs are but not limited to:

• Administrator privileges: SKSE requires that you run it using administrator privileges. This is because the program mods the existing Skyrim game some of the actions it performs requires elevation.
  • Incorrect installation: The SKSE installation you performed might not be done correctly. Installing SKSE is a very specific task which requires that you follow each and every step. Any skipping might cause the error message.

This error message is very generic and can occur to a number of different users for simplest of reasons. Some of the reasons why this error message occurs are but not limited to:

• Administrator privileges: SKSE requires that you run it using administrator privileges. This is because the program mods the existing Skyrim game some of the actions it performs requires elevation.
  • Incorrect installation: The SKSE installation you performed might not be done correctly. Installing SKSE is a very specific task which requires that you follow each and every step. Any skipping might cause the error message.

Thank you so much for your help! Running as administrator and reinstalling SKSE64 while watching an instruction video helped solve my issue. Everything is working now!

Thank you so much for your help! Running as administrator and reinstalling SKSE64 while watching an instruction video helped solve my issue. Everything is working now!

YES!!!!