How can I get original tintmasks w/out reinstalling?

Trickysocks

I tried a mod to change the dirt face options to beauty marks and found I prefer the original dirt presets more. I can reinstall the game, but I've been doing that a lot lately and I'd like to just be able to find a workaround if possible. Is there a way to do it? I've looked around and have had no success in locating something like this. Most people are trying to replace the dirt options or get rid of them altogether.

If a reinstall is the only way, then I guess that's what I need to do.

You have to reinstall....in the future always back up files before you make a change so you can go back to them. Alternately find another set you like and use them instead

Sorry...

Just uninstall the mod... :blink:

Unless you went tinkering around in your .bsa archives (highly unadvised), the original dirt is still there, it's just being overridden by the mod's version.

Yeah, I had a feeling backing up was the way to go. Sadly, as easy as it may be, I honestly don't even know how to back up my files. Something I should have learned long ago. As for just uninstalling, I think it overrides some basic files, so if I were to uninstall them, there would be missing files needed and I'd CTD or get something messy on screen. Either way, lesson learned. Thanks for the responses.

The vast majority of resource files for Skyrim are kept in .BSA files - so as already mentioned, just uninstall the mod and it'll revert back to standard files. Even if you've played around with the files, as long as the file names haven't been changed then NMM will remove everything as normal.

As for backing up your game, this can be done in Steam. What I've done is downloaded Skyrim and all DLCs, then before I started modding it I created a Steam backup so if anything goes wrong you can get it all back within a few minutes. If unaware, to back up the game, go to Steam, right click Skyrim and select "Backup Game Files". Once you establish the folder to back it up into just let Steam do the rest. If / when you want to reinstall the game from this backup then again in Steam click "Steam" in the top left of the screen (using Steams standard view mode) and select "Backup and Restore Games" - select Skyrim and wait for it to reinstall. That's it.

If you mean the 'Dirt to Beauty Marks' from the CBBE mod archive, then go to: Skyrim/Data/textures/actors/character/character assets/tintmasks and delete the three files that say 'femaleheaddirt'. Done.