Important, please read! Mods getting deserved hits.

carleq2

This "Armor Type" classified by "exclusive" tags is still navigating towards trouble though. What "Armor Type" do I select for Argonian Beautification for example? Remember, there's a file for "every" body mod I know in my uploads. Am I supposed to split AB into 20 different mods now, each of them only having a single file for a single body mod so I can select the right "Armor Type" value there?

I'm all for proper tagging of mods already prior to release, but I'm against any measures to 'force' this on authors. Let's not forget, at the end of the day they couldn't care less, and in my eyes they also shouldn't.

If I'd care for publication and accessibility of my mods even half as much as I do for their contents, I'd be hiring a professional designer for my description's layout, an advertisement agency for publicity and presentation, and a tech support guy or two to manage my mod comments in my place... however, I don't, and as such I'm doing my best in all of these unrelated off-topic jobs on my own. Forgive me, if I concentrate my limited time on development and user support instead and can't be bothered to do anything beyond the real basic neccessities about the other things. And if anybody was to tell me I 'had to' now, believe me I'd be gone in no time. *grmbl* I 'sweared' not to take part in this kind of discussions anymore for the time being, yet here I'm doing it again! :wallbash:

I think that authors should not be able to 'publish' their mods unless and until they have set tags. I have no idea if this could be coded, but it would solve a hell of a lot of problems, with new mods at any rate.

Hickory, on 19 Mar 2013 - 11:13, said:

I think that authors should not be able to 'publish' their mods unless and until they have set tags. I have no idea if this could be coded, but it would solve a hell of a lot of problems, with new mods at any rate.

Yes, I agree.

Categories could be replaced by...lets call them "Tag Groups". If you want to search all armor mods, you search the "armor" Tag Group, that would return all mods tagged with any armor related tag, regardless of gender or body type.

Of course this is, again, not really feasible at this point.

The Nexus has a long history of NOT requiring mod authors to do anything except include a (minimal) Description, be malware-free, and not knowingly break players' games.

I don't see that changing any time soon... :whistling:

That said, ideas for making it easier for authors to identify the types and uses of their mods, (if they choose to) and for players to find the ones they're looking for, are certainly worth exploring! :thumbsup:

Noones is forcing you to do anything DrakeTheDragon, I had a quick look at your page and I see Robert Female and Male body are required is that right? You would just tag those so it would appear in their categories.

If you chose not to do it then it really doesn't matter it would just fall under armour as normal (i'm beginning to sound like a broken record on here)

Edited by Ironman5000

The Nexus has a long history of NOT requiring mod authors to do anything except include a (minimal) Description, be malware-free, and not knowingly break players' games.

I don't see that changing any time soon... :whistling:

Maybe so, but since so many people are screaming out for proper tagging, should the Nexus close it's ears and eyes, and plod on as though it doesn't matter, so as to NOT add a very simple requirement? People are required to do many things on the Nexus, and ticking a few boxes for tags is hardly any effort at all.

The incentive for proper tagging would be "letting people find your mods". If someone can't take the 30 seconds to apply the proper tags, well, they deserve to not get downloads.

What "Armor Type" do I select for Argonian Beautification for example?

Uhhh...none? Its not an armor mod, so why would you choose any armor tags for it? Unless it does contain armor, of course.

You would select the tags for whatever body mods it supports, Roberts, HGEC, whatever.

The incentive for proper tagging would be "letting people find your mods". If someone can't take the 30 seconds to apply the proper tags, well, they deserve to not get downloads.

>What "Armor Type" do I select for Argonian Beautification for example?

Uhhh...none? Its not an armor mod, so why would you choose any armor tags for it? Unless it does contain armor, of course.

You would select the tags for whatever body mods it supports, Roberts, HGEC, whatever.

Yeah, sry, that was a mis-placed example. There's no armor inside AB, only bodypart meshes and textures.

But my question was aimed at Ironman's 2nd screenshot, where "Armor Type" was made a sub-category, and you can only select "1". There was no tagging involved in that screenshot.

I'm pretty fine with the tagging, once it got cleaned up and the choices started making sense, and I did so for every mod I'm having up for download by now.

But my question you quoted was unrelated to tagging.

As for this "If someone can't take the 30 seconds to apply the proper tags, well, they deserve to not get downloads." remark... you mistakenly make it sound like downloads would have any meaning to authors in general.

Since several months now I'm rather tempted to use it the other way round. If people can't invest a little time to find my mods, then they don't deserve to use them. It wasn't always that way, but the community did their best to make me think so of it today. It now is "The less downloads I get, the less bother it'll be to me later."

I actually 'welcome' all the new and fancy mod representation features introduced and worked on lately, and more and more users starting to 'expect' them now. Though not the way you might think of now.

By explicitly 'not' making use of most of them I'll be having a great and invaluable "user-filter" as some sort of first test to show yourself worthy to enjoy my work. If they can't be bothered to look at a mod which doesn't make use of any of this graphical and media garbage in presentation for themselves first to find out whether they like it or not, they simply don't deserve anything else. Period.

Noones is forcing you to do anything DrakeTheDragon, I had a quick look at your page and I see Robert Female and Male body are required is that right? You would just tag those so it would appear in their categories.

If you chose not to do it then it really doesn't matter it would just fall under armour as normal (i'm beginning to sound like a broken record on here)

I didn't say anybody was forcing 'me'. I won't allow me to be forced by anybody ever. Nobody here has any force over me, as I'm not getting anything form this place and going away will be no loss... just a rather unpleasant decision. I just dislike the concept of forcing authors in general, as they can't be forced, nor bothered, if it comes to it.

But no, I actually made "all" body mods you can find on this site a requirement for AB, not just the two. Who doesn't use AB TFF but AB HGEC of course doesn't need to download TFF but HGEC. This is again a weakness in the site's current design. I cannot communicate the requirements depend on the file one chooses through the current "required mods" popup design. Thus I had to made them "all" a requirement for AB for now, or at least all I could find.

And again, the question wasn't aimed towards tagging. You didn't use the string "Armor Type" in a screenshot about anything to do with tagging.

But my question was aimed at Ironman's 2nd screenshot, where "Armor Type" was made a sub-category, and you can only select "1". There was no tagging involved in that screenshot.

And again, the question wasn't aimed towards tagging. You didn't use the string "Armor Type" in a screenshot about anything to do with tagging.

The first screenshot was based on my idea of using these tag to benefit BOTH tag search and sub-category filters - by tagging the new body type (for armours) options a code would be applied that would allow the mod to appear in the new category. It would also show up in a new tag search filter.

The second screenshot was really based on how I have seen a LOT mod authors set up their armour pages, which is to have separate files within the same page for different body types. The additional drop box would appear in the 'add file' form.

I don't see even both of these could be applied, just leave out the category coding in my first example. It all depends on how the designers would prefer to set it up...that is even if they pick up this idea!

Edited by Ironman5000

I think a first step for improvement would be to somehow integrate tag filtering into category browsing, or any browsing in general even.

Due to the rather static and generic design of the category tree many specific features of mods can only be refined by using tags. However, in most lists and browses outside of "search" you cannot refine your results by using tags.

It's "either category OR tags" everywhere you look right now. And I think it shouldn't be too difficult to make it "category AND tags" instead at most places.

I haven't seen categorization done for individual 'files', yet. So far only whole mods can be put into a category.

I don't really know how category browsing results should be obtained either, if only 'some' of the mod's files apply to the category you're browsing.

Doing 'virtual' categories, like mods which have certain tag will also show up in "A > B", while their category actually is only "A", won't be exactly easy to implement either... though it might make some good food for thoughts.