Servers Super Slow To Respond

UlithiumDragon

I can confirm the sluggishness on skyrim.nexusmods.com, both from my work connection (which routes to the internet through our WAN to an ISP about a thousand miles north), and from home (which is a 50down/5up non-shared connection that doesn't have problems with other sites).

I confirm everybody else's findings: the Nexus (overall) is a *real* chore to use, both forums and mod sites, and has been for some time. I find myself staying away far more than I would like to. I have no trouble with other sites, apart from those that have always been slow.

SQL errors are popping up quite a bit. There are periods of quick responses, but the individual nexus sites in particular (not necessarily the forums) are quite slow for me.

• 2 months later...

Yes, its very slow for me as well. Just came back to Skyrim after a long break, downloading all new fresh mod and its a pita to get the pages loading. I'm on a 100 Mbit pipe and have no trouble at all with other sites.

I have been using the site the last few nights from around midnight to 5-6am (Pacific Time) and I have noticed that the site starts to get slow around 4am which would be 7am on the East Coast. (wake up time for allot of people). I have also used the site randomly during daylight hours and have found it pretty hit or miss on if a Mod Page would actually load or not.

Not sure if this helps, but I have found that when a page doesn't load, it seems to hang when trying to get a responce from http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/

or something to that effect...I am sure that "static" was in the url

The only time of day I have found that the site is guaranteed to be usable, is after 6-7pm to around 4am (PDT).

Edited by Neogrin

Here's the blurb I give to Premium Members looking for help with their download speeds:

Hi there,

Your download speed can be affected by a number of issues, including your distance from the servers, your ISP's particular connection to the file servers and many local variables. As a Premium Member several new options are opened up to you both within NMM and when manually downloading outside of NMM:

• Your download speed cap of 1024kb/sec is removed allowing you, if possible, to download faster
  • You can now download using multiple "threads". In NMM this setting can be found under Settings -> Download Options. Threads are basically multiple connections to the server from the same file. Say, for example, your maximum connection download speed is 4MB/sec but you can only download files from our servers at 1MB/sec. With downloading threading using 4 threads you'll download a file at 4x1MB/sec, or 4MB/sec. Handy! This also works if you're using a download manager like DownThemAll!
  • You can now download from Premium-only servers. There is an additional option in NMM under Settings -> Download Options to choose whether to only use Premium servers or all servers. A special note here; Premium-only servers might NOT be the fastest servers for your connection. We offer Premium-only servers for those times (like Sundays) when the normal file servers might be really busy, and ergo, slower than normal. But it's very possible that a normal server is faster for you, so do some testing on your end and if the Premium-only servers are indeed slower just don't download from them.
  • On-top of this ensure that you're downloading from locations near to you. Once again you can alter this setting in Settings -> Download Options. If the area closest to you isn't working for you, try another area. It's possible, through some magic of the internet, somewhere a bit further away might actually be faster for you.
I hope this helps you and that you understand that Premium Membership doesn't just offer you the advantage of Premium-only download servers but actually a number of important bonus features over normal members.

Thank you for your support.

If you're not happy you can just ask for a refund. Last thing I want is people paying for something they're not happy with.

• 10 months later...