Using Skyrim to help me go from introvert to extrovert

Guest deleted4349949

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is cool! i liked the video, and i like the fact that you're using a PC game to help with another aspect of your life.

hmm...you may have inspired me to try a pure mage on my next playthrough. i had a mage that i got to maybe level 35 or so, but i used some one-handed weapons. i kind of want to try without any weapons. is that even possible?

anyway, good work, and keep it up!

Guest deleted4349949

@canis39 - Oh yea, it's totally possible. As a matter of fact, when I played Oblivion I would do the warrior/mage thing all the time.. but during the wait for Skyrim, I started playing Baldurs Gate again (Dungeons and Dragons rules, in case you are unfamiliar) and I became really turned on to the idea of playing through Skyrim in the manner of those old-school RPG's. So I've played many games through Skyrim as a PURE mage [no armor, no weapons, just enough hp to keep myself from being 1-shot, no sneak, etc...] and, though I've never actually finished the game (believe it or not) I very well could have with any of those characters, even without mods. Granted, magic in Skyrim doesn't get as much love as some of the other 'classes', there are more than a few spell overhauls you can find here on the Nexus that are (or can be made to be) quite balanced.

Anyway, thanks for watching, and I'm glad you liked it, even the few back-and-forths here have already helped my confidence a lot more than I would have imagined! Have fun with your next mage playthrough! Maybe you can glean some tricks from my LP!! :D

That is cool, I am definitely going to give it a shot. My current character is a Redguard warrior/alchemist but next is going to be a mage. Maybe a Breton, I have never had a Breton character before.

I just downloaded "the art of shock" and "the art of fire" from the Steam workshop and I think I have a couple magic-related mods from the Nexus as well. Looking forward to going mage-only. The only downside is I have to spend time in Winterhold...not my favorite place! So I may give it some more time and try to get my Redguard up a few levels, maybe try to complete the civil war with him.

I never played Baldur's Gate or any of the D&D games. Although if you want to get really old school, I loved The Bard's Tale 2. I spent hours on that game, even mapping the city and dungeon layouts on graph paper!

Guest deleted4349949

@canis39: Yeah, you know, it can easily be argued that Bretons make both great mages and great all-around characters thanks to their magicka resistance, considering that as you near the end-game, the boost magicka pool boost their magickal rivals (Altmer) receive no longer makes much of an impact (if any), but that magicka resistance is still just as much a boon as it was during the early levels. I haven't used the two mods you mentioned, but I am using Better Magick (mainly for the spell scaling w/levels put into it, just like weapons do for warriors) and the Apocalypse Spell Package. Though, for Apocalypse, I'm sure I have an out-of-date version, and some of the spells are a bit op, so I have to carefully pick and choose what to buy and when to use them in a balanced manner.

That's awesome about Bard's Tale! I've never played it... I'm almost ashamed to say that my adventure into the world of RPG's started around 1998 with the Baldurs Gate series. I feel like I missed out on so much D: DAMN YOU, SUPER MARIO!!! Do you still have those old maps lying around anywhere? If so, you should post pictures of them here - I'd love to see them! My girlfriend and her sister did that when they were younger with an old game called Sword of Vermilion, but after packing it up for a move, it all got eaten by a few rats... :(

Edited by ShiverTwitch

Guest deleted4349949

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND..... Second part is up! One more coming after this, then I'll have to record some more... But with this massive amount of artificial light and the wind blasting pollen into my eyes, they are absolutely are killing me at the moment, so it might take some time to recuperate :P

Anyway, adding the new video to the first post :D

Watching Part 2 now. Pretty cool so far.

Nope, I don't have the graph-paper maps anymore...I don't specifically remember throwing them away but I know I did.

See, I never played Super Mario Bros. Never. To this day - still haven't ever played a Mario game! I know, it's like I'm not fit to be called a child of the 80s/90s. Anyway, Bard's Tale II was awesome. I actually found the instruction manual the other day! No idea why I kept that but it's pretty cool.

I am pretty sure my next Skyrim character will be a Breton mage/enchanter. If I get bored of my Redguard I may start that up soon, but so far I am really enjoying my Redguard. (One of my self-imposed goals is to use only one weapon - a scimitar - and no offensive magic. If I encounter something that can't be killed by a scimitar, I might be in trouble!

Okay, back to Part 2!

Guest deleted4349949

@jackowonderful: Thanks for watching! I always thought my voice sounded pretty weird... especially through a microphone, but it seems like that might not be the case after all :P

Also, third video is up!! I'm actually a little late with this announcement, been a little busy looking for work... times are tough :/ - got a prospect on the horizon, the work sounds kind of awful, but the pay is enough to survive on, so I'm hoping it leads somewhere. As soon as I start getting some income again, I'll look into getting a webcam or something so I can start trying out ways to realize the full goal of my channel. In the meantime, this has already done so much to help me break out of my cocoon. I've started speaking to a friend again - somebody I used to play Baldurs Gate with when I was young - that I haven't spoken to in ages. We started playing Borderlands together and now both he and my girlfriend have agreed to be in some future video walkthrough/lp's of BL2, Baldurs Gate Extended Edition, and Diablo 3... additionally, my brother and I are going to try to join a BF3 clan. I know this is a far cry from actual 'socialization' as some might define it, but it's leaps and bounds closer to living a more social life than I have been for a very long time. And I really owe it all to this project and the tremendous support I've had from my girlfriend (who shall henceforth be called 'the bug' and without whom I would have never made it past the "really thinking about doing it" stage) and your positive comments :)

Anyway, check the first post for the next video! I hope you like it :D

An introvert is not simpy a shy person. Shyness implies anxiety, and nervousness, which is not what an introvert is. Im a pretty severe introvert, and Im not a nervous person at all. An introvert need not necessarily be shy, though they can be, but they are not the same thing.

Introverts are more concerned with their own thoughts, feelings, and often avoid social situations because they simply prefer to be alone, or at least more than most. The kinds of social situations that most extroverted people don't think twice about, can make invtrovets feel overwhelmed ( not form anxiety, but more like having to "recharge" and relax alone for a while ), or the situation is simply boring. Social gratification, as well as being happy ( I mean the mood, and not a more general usage ) are often not a concern either. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting.

Its all in what the person values, and introverts don't usually value highly socialized situations, especially involving superficial activities or talk.

I mean if the word "party" meant a few sober people debating the finer points of agnostacism vs atheism vs theism ( theism has not finer points fyi ), playing a game of trivial pursuit, or anything even remotley interesting...

I would be like "LETS GO PARTY!!"

Introverts have a higher chance to be "gifted", making up about 60% of that group, but only 30% of the general population.

You seem to be more anxious than introverted, though I don't have much info to go on...your cool either way :cool: