Mods with SkyUI & MCM requirements

IsharaMeradin

Does anyone know if the growning number of mods that use SkyUI & MCM as requirements are actually functional without them?

Is it a case by case thing?

Is it that each mod is setup to work in a default manner and that MCM merely allows the player to make adjustments without using the console?

If mods are like the latter, then they should be playable without SkyUI & MCM, correct?

Please do not hate, bash, flame or what have you because I'm in the minority and actually do not like SkyUI or additional interfaces/menus in my game.

Yes, I know about SkyUI-Away. It seems pointless tho to install a mod and then another just to have one aspect. In all honesty, I don't even want the MCM stuff. As I stated earlier, I do not like additional menus or interfaces in the game. But thanks anyway. Guess the only thing to do is try any interesting mods and see what happens...

I thought tho that there was a fixed method of utilizing that MCM stuff in a mod.

the maker of SkyUI made MCM in a way so you can still run mods with MCM without SkyUI active.

its just a matter of whether or not the stuff found in the menus is important or not.

The code for MCM is pretty easy to pick up, so a lot of modders are picking it up now that they've learned.

since you can still technically use the mod without SkyUI, theres really no reason not to put it on everything.

It seems pointless tho to install a mod and then another just to have one aspect.

I had the same opinion. However, since installing SkyUI and SkyUI-Away, that MCM is a nice piece of kit. Puts all mod configuration screens in one place on the main (esc) menu. Each setting for a given mod has a description that shows at the bottom of the MCM menu. MCM makes configuring mods, that use it, very easy.

Gopher has a great video about

, which is very helpful.

SkyUI and SkyUI-Away does require SKSE. I was using SKSE anyway for a couple of other mods and the Clear Invalid Registrations tweak, so this was no issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I just downloaded SkyUI & SkyUI-Away to see what happens with the few mods that I had wanted to try that had MCM support.

After getting past the SkyUI nag messageboxes (three per magic, inventory & map for nine boxes total) for all the swf files being different, the menus as such were normal. I would hope that I wouldn't get such "nagware" with each game session.

Something that wasn't ever stated clearly in my opinion. MCM is in the game settings menu. I was under the impression that it just a prettier message box that has already been in use for as long as I can remember. If it was stated in a video, then that's the problem. Videos are the last thing I look at. Documentation did say "pause menu" but that is misleading as I press tab to bring up the menu compass when I want to pause.

Still not sure if I want to add such a menu thing to my own mods. Currently customization is done with a simple global variable via the console. If I read it right MCM is supposed to be able to adjust that value without opening the console etc. However the scripting behind it seems a little much for a single variable.

With SkyUI Away you will get the nag stuff only once. Just click through it. As long as you are using that character it will only happen once. When you make a new character you will get the nag stuff again. For more info check Gophers video of installing SkyUI Away. he explains it in better detail. If you can not find his SkyUi Away video. I actually think it pops up in one of his other videos. Check Installing SkyUI or McM. He has a video of how to install SkyUI and another one on how to install McM. It might be in the McM video, about SkyUI Away. Now that I think about it. Best to check out both just to be sure.

Well... I just downloaded SkyUI & SkyUI-Away to see what happens with the few mods that I had wanted to try that had MCM support.

After getting past the SkyUI nag messageboxes (three per magic, inventory & map for nine boxes total) for all the swf files being different, the menus as such were normal. I would hope that I wouldn't get such "nagware" with each game session.

Something that wasn't ever stated clearly in my opinion. MCM is in the game settings menu. I was under the impression that it just a prettier message box that has already been in use for as long as I can remember. If it was stated in a video, then that's the problem. Videos are the last thing I look at. Documentation did say "pause menu" but that is misleading as I press tab to bring up the menu compass when I want to pause.

Still not sure if I want to add such a menu thing to my own mods. Currently customization is done with a simple global variable via the console. If I read it right MCM is supposed to be able to adjust that value without opening the console etc. However the scripting behind it seems a little much for a single variable.

9 boxes and nagware? are you seriously complaining about that?

Yes, for a single global there's probably not any need to make an MCM--indeed it may be best if you don't create an MCM. Users can install up to about 250 mods, but only about 120 of those can have an MCM. So "unnecessary" MCMs that take up those slots can actually cause problems for users who want to install a lot of mods with MCMs.

9 boxes and nagware? are you seriously complaining about that?

And you've never disliked something where others thought you were being a bit over the top?

We all have our likes and our dislikes. I'm entitled to mine just as you are to yours.