.ba2 override mechanics

crazykc

I have a simple questions about texture modding, but somehow finding the answer has been harder than I expected:

- If .ba2 texture mod 'A' and .ba2 texture mod 'B' are largely different, but contain a single overlapping texture, would mod B completely override mod A in the loadorder, or would Vortex (in my case) still also load the textures of mod A, except the single one that overlaps?

I suspect Mod managers are smart enough to load textures from both mods (except the single overlapping one from mod A ofcourse), but any confirmation (or denial) of this would be very welcome.

Thank you for your re

Vortex will simply install both archive. The game will use textures from both, and when there is a conflict, I *think* the one loaded latest wins. Or, it might be the one with the newest date wins.....

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty sure the last mod in the load order wins. I'm just wondering whether ' winning' in this case means that the .ba2 archive Mod B completely overrides the .ba2 archive of Mod A being used, or just the single overlapping texture?

anyone? :)

Thank you for your re

Vortex will simply install both archive. The game will use textures from both, and when there is a conflict, I *think* the one loaded latest wins. Or, it might be the one with the newest date wins.....

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty sure the last mod in the load order wins. I'm just wondering whether ' winning' in this case means that the .ba2 archive Mod B completely overrides the .ba2 archive of Mod A being used, or just the single overlapping texture?

anyone? :smile:

I would expect that any overlap between the two archives, the one loaded last would win.

if the second mod uses not the same name for the ba2 file it only overrides in case of conflicting content the conflicting content. if you use the most advanced mod manager vortex or mo2 you should be able to track conflicts. i can not say for sure because i unpack all ba2 files before installation to circumvent any packed file gliches and to be able to edit the content.

if the second mod uses not the same name for the ba2 file it only overrides in case of conflicting content the conflicting content. if you use the most advanced mod manager vortex or mo2 you should be able to track conflicts. i can not say for sure because i unpack all ba2 files before installation to circumvent any packed file gliches and to be able to edit the content.

Hi Xrayy,

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I can judge, Vortex is not able to detect texture conflicts when they are packed in .ba2 archives. That's why I'm having trouble figuring out how overriding happens in the case of two ba2's. I suspect all non-overlapping textures of both mods are loaded, except the overlapping textures of Mod A, but I could be wrong, and mod B could completly prevent mod A from loading if overlapping textures are present. It sometimes is just really hard figuring out which textures you are viewing ingame