Lore Question - Two-headed animals

Gruffydd

Does anyone know around what year the two-headed variants of larger herbivores (brahmin, radstags, gazelles, that kind of thing) became the norm throughout the Commonwealth?

I know according to the FO bible, the new form for the brahmin was influenced by the FEV, but I haven't been able to find which strain, or where it was first used to change cattle to brahmin, or how they ended up being everywhere in the US with no regular cows left anywhere, or pretty much anything else to help me figure out when the two-headed version became the one everyone accepted as normal.

Also, other than in the Nuka-World DLC, have two-headed versions of animals from other continents (presumably from zoos or private collections) been seen or referenced in any of the games? Two-headed giraffes or elephants or suchlike? If so, where and when?

Thanks.

As far as I can recall, the only animals I have seen in FO are indigenous to the US. Some just picked up some rather interesting mutations. No idea on the timeline, but, brahmin were in FO1.... which wasn't real long after the war.

I thought it was only the indigenous ones as well, but then Nuka World added two-headed gazelle, along with the indigenous bison mixed with non-indigenous African buffalo and Asian water buffalo (making the Brahmiluff).

From the limited sample it does seem to be only hoofed herbivores (cows, deer, gazelle), which made me wonder if every such critter was affected, or if only a few survived enough to flourish (or at least reproduce faster than they die), and - since according to the FO bible the FEV was involved somehow - how long it took to spread, since the two-headed brahmin seems to be the standard coast-to-coast for basic cattle/oxen.

I'm trying to pin down when they did become the standard so I can use a reference to it in my mod.

You are safe with 100 years after. It was surely a gradual process, different from region to region. Although Fallout 1,4 and 76 may differ in their depiction of the great war a bit.

Also brahmins kind of need farmers so in the end it might depend on human activity, emerging from the vaults, etc.. in the region

This is more a continuity problem more than anything else. Some bethesda writer might decide that FEV was involved and made hoofed herbivores have 2 heads but then in Fallout 5 a new writer comes along and decides that FEV wasn't involved and that now you have 2 headed dogs and you always had 2 headed dogs it's just that no one noticed till now.

It's your mod and you should build it the way that it makes sense to you.

This is more a continuity problem more than anything else. Some bethesda writer might decide that FEV was involved and made hoofed herbivores have 2 heads but then in Fallout 5 a new writer comes along and decides that FEV wasn't involved and that now you have 2 headed dogs and you always had 2 headed dogs it's just that no one noticed till now.

It's your mod and you should build it the way that it makes sense to you.

This is true. Beth has been known to play pretty fast and loose with their own lore.......