questions about content usage from other bethesda games

Mishkax

well, long story short,under pellape's wise mentoring,ive been progressing in my moddage learning far quicker than expected. now something occurs to me,having found the oblivion magic extender,i can make my own spell effects. in particular the sounds are whats interesting me at the moment. because while oblivion's sound fx are great and all,other bethesda games sometimes have more,visceral sounds. my idea was to use the doom 3 berzerker sound for an undead daily power i was working on,should be a simple matter,make the clip myself from a youtube video,and attach it to the magic effect.

now im sure it should be ok,far as ive observed content seems to fly back and forth between bethesda games rather regularly. like skyrim themed or doom themed power armor in fallout4 for instance,and im figuring oblivion should be no different

and yes im still agitated about the direction doom 2016 and doom eternal went in,and prefer the far more serious,scientifically themed approach of doom 3 over the more hollywood-esque,fan service direction of the new games,but thats another story entirely

You cannot unless you get a specific permission from beth. By default they disallow this even for games in the same series.

"serious,scientifically themed approach of doom 3" topkek

You cannot unless you get a specific permission from beth. By default they disallow this even for games in the same series.

"serious,scientifically themed approach of doom 3" topkek

says the person that doesnt understand the meaning of the word themed.perhaps you can explain mod conversion from oblivion to skyrim or vice versa when some of those mods use vanilla assets from either game. hell,the northernui mod i use for controller support is themed after skyrim,and looks close enough to skyrim to anger just about any copyright nazi. oh by the way,you explanation is a pretty bad failure considering that there is more than one case where the company itself has given its blessing for such a thing,things like the doom and skyrim power armor in fallout 4,or the bfg-9000 mod for fallout 4 no less

i want to make one thing absolutely clear,especially to someone like you,i want REALISTIC advice,which is more an analysis of current trends and general practise,not some kind of drivel that you just copy pasted (regardless of whether its the official story or not which by the way ignores how the company itself has violated its own rules)

on the offchance you can actually be civil,id like to keep things as respectful as possible given the current posts and if in the unlikely scenario whence the aforementioned idea becomes impossible,advice on workarounds

Well just do it and see what happens. I guess Beth have better things to do then check out our Oblivion creations nor that Nexus will notice any difference.

Let me take one example. Loads of the textures I use, I found with Google... ;) I have not got any complaints yet by using those asserts. I could add Google to my credit list really.

Well just do it and see what happens. I guess Beth have better things to do then check out our Oblivion creations nor that Nexus will notice any difference.

Let me take one example. Loads of the textures I use, I found with Google... :wink: I have not got any complaints yet by using those asserts. I could add Google to my credit list really.

XD yes,what my wise old mentor pellape said

Using assets from other Bethesda games is not allowed unless you have permission. That means you can't use direct assets. You can of course base your creation on the looks from another game. The mods you mentioned (Doom and Skyrim power armour) doesn't use assets from the other games, so those are fine. And Bethesda rarely gives permission for such things.

Extracting sound from a YouTube video to "re-create" Skyrim audio is not okay, as that is essentially the same as just using the original audio assets.

As for what happens if you use assets made by someone else without their permission (or crediting them), you can ask your old mentor.

When I first arrived here at Nexus I was unsure of many of the rules. A great source I have found is a daily perusal of Forum Rules and Warnings. It doesn't exactly have the immediacy of question/answer learning ... it's more akin to the learning from other's mistakes variety (always high up on my ToDo list).

Using assets from other Bethesda games is not allowed unless you have permission. That means you can't use direct assets. You can of course base your creation on the looks from another game. The mods you mentioned (Doom and Skyrim power armour) doesn't use assets from the other games, so those are fine. And Bethesda rarely gives permission for such things.

Extracting sound from a YouTube video to "re-create" Skyrim audio is not okay, as that is essentially the same as just using the original audio assets.

As for what happens if you use assets made by someone else without their permission (or crediting them), you can ask your old mentor.

im not entirely certain where you got the "skyrim audio" part from as i was talking about using a doom 3 clip. and i thought i made it pretty clear the idea i was going for was approximating things,not something as laborious as a direct file rip,for one thing,i dont have anywhere near the technical skill for such a thing. and furthermore if you read the entirety of my post i was well aware of the possibility that i might need a workaround (the idea being recreation)

but,on the odd chance that people arent generally understanding of entire posts,or reacting hostily to a genuinely polite question ask (as seems the case here) perhaps this thread need not continue

The same does of course apply to audio from a Doom 3 clip (and any other clip).

A workaround is indeed needed here.

Locked by the request of the OP.