What Is The Best Game Ever

BloodWindBal

Oblivion, COd4, Timeshift, Crysis and Medal Of Honor: Airborne. FPS FTW! Oblivion is an exception though, it doesn't really belong to the FPS genre but it's still a fantastic game nonetheless. Just like the evolved version of WoW!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread isn’t so much “your favorite”, but “the best of all time”. Having said that, I believe that the best game is probably how influential the game was as a whole, on the gaming genre. While the first “Super Mario Bros.” might be one of the most memorable games ever, with its little jingles that stuck in your head hours / days after playing, to how easy anyone of any age could pick it up (and the fact that Mario is immortal as far as games go), I find it not to be the best made. And as gamers get older, new games come into the mix who’ve never played it and many of those never will.

But one of the most influential games in history was “Doom”. Doom took Wolfenstine 3D and made it into a platform that has sense been duplicated and rehashed over and over again, countless times. Any FPS of today has its roots in Doom, not to mention just about any game that lets you play and move about freely in first-person. I actually never made it through Doom without cheating (the last stage was designed with cheating in mind, I’m convinced – especially on “nightmare”).

I feel that if you’re trying to go “best game” based on how well it was received and how well you feel it has / will stand up to the test of time, I would have to say “Portal”. The entire game is only 1 – 2 hours long, and after you beat it, you feel a good sense of accomplishment. Portal delivered everything you’d expect, and had some of the best dark humor around. True after a while, the replay value drops, but that’s the same as any game, and the fact you can play the full game in one seating means it doesn’t outstay its welcome or get too monotonous or boring.

P.S:

My favorite games of all time are “Super Metroid”, for its emersion and “Zelda: a link to the past”, for taking the Zelda franchise to a new level and not trying to overdo it.

Every single one of you are completely and utterly WRONG!!! All of you are single-minded buffoons who don't even know your arses from a hole in the ground. The greatest, best-selling, No.1 video game EVER is Super Mario Bros, and anyone who attempts to argue with me will bring down the wrath of the video game gods.

Every single one of you are completely and utterly WRONG!!! All of you are single-minded buffoons who don't even know your arses from a hole in the ground. The greatest, best-selling, No.1 video game EVER is Super Mario Bros, and anyone who attempts to argue with me will bring down the wrath of the video game gods.

I don't know; I think Psychonauts beats the pants off Mario.

NOW YOU HAVE INCITED THE WRATH OF THE VIDEO GAME GODS. YOU WILL NOW FEEL THE WEIGHT OF THEIR ABSOLUTION. BE JUDGED BY THEIR ABSOLUTE AUTHORITAY.

How dare you, Ninja! Are you insane?! Are you completely and utterly oblivious to the facts?! No one and nothing can dispute the facts, you little insignificant speck of nothingness. Begone with you, foul devil! Get thee back to the abyss from whence thou hast come, daemon! :devil:

Ok, so I'm older than dirt. I remember losing a few weekends to Doom on my brand spanking new Micron 100 Mhz Pentium f'n ONE pc. That was the game that made me a gamer. That game taught us what it was all about. It was the turning point from text MUDS to real graphic games where the immersion wasn't just a way to show you where you were in the map, but a real part of the game that gave it such an emotional impact.

Not the "best" by a long shot, but Doom was the turning point from game to gaming.

-Jumonji