WHERE are my plugins

DOVAHKI1N

Yesterday, I had 254 Plugins. I have not deleted/disabled any mods (well, some, actually, but not many and the issue existed prior), but the associated Plugins are NOT there. I currently have 13-14 Plugins active, it switches between those two numbers. WHERE are the others?

Re-deploying does nothing, and re-installing the mods is just as ineffective.

Yesterday, I had 254 Plugins. I have not deleted/disabled any mods (well, some, actually, but not many and the issue existed prior), but the associated Plugins are NOT there. I currently have 13-14 Plugins active, it switches between those two numbers. WHERE are the others?

WHICH GAME?

Where is your game installed?

Where is Vortex installed?

Where is your Mod Staging Folder?

Did you move, or copy, or delete any files outside of Vortex?

WHICH GAME?

Where is your game installed?

Where is Vortex installed?

Where is your Mod Staging Folder?

Did you move, or copy, or delete any files outside of Vortex?

Argh, I forgot so many things yesterday. Apologies.

The game is Skyrim, installed on partition C

Vortex is installed on the desktop.

The Mod Staging Folder is under documents-games-steam-steamapps-common- VORTEX - Skyrim

Now that you're asking, while I certainly do not remember manually moving mods outside of Vortex (or is changing the name and Version number IN Vortex via doubleklick on the mod to get the info and manipulating it there considered "outside"?), Vortex seems to think I did because at some point yesterday and the day before, it asked me whether I wanted to save all changes (which would delete the files)...those were quite a few mods. Argh, darn it...could that be the problem after all? Did I actually make things so that I have to delete the whole mod staging folder and reinstall/download every single mod? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

But there are mods missing- a lot of mods, where I didn't change anything.

EDIT: it seems I did apparently delete pretty much all mod files :facepalm: Because just now, after deploying the mods (I had switched the deployment method after the problem started in the hopes of it solving the issue), Vortex told me "some" mods are redundant. It's all of those mods that are missing plugins in the plugins section... So, redownload everthing it is. Sorry for the trouble.

...unless there is another way? (Because of course I have a lot of mods...)

Edited by DOVAHKI1N

Argh, I forgot so many things yesterday. Apologies.

The game is Skyrim, installed on partition C

Vortex is installed on the desktop.

The Mod Staging Folder is under documents-games-steam-steamapps-common- VORTEX - Skyrim

Now that you're asking, while I certainly do not remember manually moving mods outside of Vortex (or is changing the name and Version number IN Vortex via doubleklick on the mod to get the info and manipulating it there considered "outside"?), Vortex seems to think I did because at some point yesterday and the day before, it asked me whether I wanted to save all changes (which would delete the files)...those were quite a few mods. Argh, darn it...could that be the problem after all? Did I actually make things so that I have to delete the whole mod staging folder and reinstall/download every single mod? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

But there are mods missing- a lot of mods, where I didn't change anything.

EDIT: it seems I did apparently delete pretty much all mod files :facepalm: Because just now, after deploying the mods (I had switched the deployment method after the problem started in the hopes of it solving the issue), Vortex told me "some" mods are redundant. It's all of those mods that are missing plugins in the plugins section... So, redownload everthing it is. Sorry for the trouble.

...unless there is another way? (Because of course I have a lot of mods...)

That's one of the worst places to put your mod staging folder.

If Vortex is asking if you want to save the changes, then the files have been changed OUTSIDE of Vortex by someone or something like an Anti Virus program.

Where would be better? I always thought it would be best to have it there?

If Vortex is asking if you want to save the changes, then the files have been changed OUTSIDE of Vortex by someone or something like an Anti Virus program.

...so that's what happened. I did a complete anti virus scan that deleted and moved a few files. The problem started afterward. Is there a possibility to make it impossible to change the files OUTSIDE of Vortex through assigning a password? Well, ok, it won't be impossible, but an automatic program like an Anti Virus scan shouldn't be able to. Maybe when it tries, give a warning like: "Virusprogramm x wants to change mod files. Allow?"

Edited by DOVAHKI1N

Where would be better? I always thought it would be best to have it there?

...so that's what happened. I did a complete anti virus scan that deleted and moved a few files. The problem started afterward. Is there a possibility to make it impossible to change the files OUTSIDE of Vortex through assigning a password? Well, ok, it won't be impossible, but an automatic program like an Anti Virus scan shouldn't be able to. Maybe when it tries, give a warning like: "Virusprogramm x wants to change mod files. Allow?"

Your Vortex Downloads folder should be something like

D:\Vortex Downloads\

Mod staging folder should be somethings like

D:\Vortex Mods\

Vortex will automatically create the game subfolders.

You should NEVER put any Vortex Folder Inside the Steam folder

Just exempt the Game and Vortex Folders from being scanned or dealt with by the Antivirus program.

Sounds like it's not a very good one if it goes ahead and deletes game files and mods

Guest deleted34304850

anything that removes stuff without your say so or knowledge, sounds very much like a bad actor to me.

what virus scanner are you using, and has it ever actually done anything of worth in all the time you've had it. if it just sits there, scanning endlessly pretending to be important, i'd suggest you remove it if you can.

Just exempt the Game and Vortex Folders from being scanned or dealt with by the Antivirus program.

Sounds like it's not a very good one if it goes ahead and deletes game files and mods

Well, since I'll have to re-install all Mods anyway, I will change that, too. Where should I put Vortex.exe, btw?

anything that removes stuff without your say so or knowledge, sounds very much like a bad actor to me.

what virus scanner are you using, and has it ever actually done anything of worth in all the time you've had it. if it just sits there, scanning endlessly pretending to be important, i'd suggest you remove it if you can.

The Virus Program is Avira Internet Security Freeware. If you have any suggestions for a better one where there is no monthly payment (I don't have the money, not even for 5 bucks a month), I'm open for suggestions.

Well, since I'll have to re-install all Mods anyway, I will change that, too. Where should I put Vortex.exe, btw?

The Virus Program is Avira Internet Security Freeware. If you have any suggestions for a better one where there is no monthly payment (I don't have the money, not even for 5 bucks a month), I'm open for suggestions.

Install Vortex where you want, mine is installed on D:\Games\Vortex

It only matters where the Mod staging folder is located, because that needs to be on the same drive as your games, and can be set on a game by game basis.

I use Kaspersky, so I don't know, you get what you pay for with Free AV.

When you install Vortex, make sure to turn off your AV so it doesn't remove parts of Vortex while it's installing, I've seen that happen a LOT in here.

Guest deleted34304850

honestly use windows defender. its built in to windows and is as good as you need.

i would consider removing that tool from your system if it will delete things without your knowledge.