OBSE Just not loading with Wyre Bash

Daelyn

Alght, I backed up, replaced the launcher to the steam one, booted the game. Looked at my saves, seems that this backup was from an older set of saves from the middle of last week. Still, I tried it, and the issue seems to be gone. OBSE is working, when I hit start from the steam page with the OBSE_steamdownloader. However, two things are different now. I bashed the entire set of mods, and removed the OBSE_launcher. On my Wyre Bash, there is no more option to boot from it, which used to take me into the game. I am afraid to put the OBSE_launcher back in case I run into issues.

OBSE works, since it's saving alongside with them again, and the Install Blockhead face issue is gone.

Could it also have to do with the saved game setup, since it was from days before when it was working without a problem?

If it's because of the OBSE_steamlauncher, then why was I able to boot into the game with OBSE working from Wrye Bash about 100 times before without a problem, when just using OBSE_launcher?

I'm a bit confused. But this has saved me about 3 days worth of work, since I was starting to install from scratch again.

Thanks for the help, HadToRegister, and DrakeTheDragon.

Install OBSE like this, as per the installation instructions included in the OBSE.ZIP

IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

Was there a specific reason you wanted to start the game (with OBSE support) from within Wrye Bash (full disclosure ... I am an advocate for using different tools for the job they are best at, but only that .... and my mouse and desktop shortcut work flawlessly for starting Oblivion with OBSE support, just as WB is the tool for a bashed patch).

Yes, only because it worked perfectly fine on Wrye Mash for Morrowind. I played from the beginning to the end and used the little launcher icon on it. It also worked for a long time with Wrye Bash for Oblivion, until I messed around with the files to try and make them compatible for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and running them as an administrator.

Alght, I backed up, replaced the launcher to the steam one, booted the game. Looked at my saves, seems that this backup was from an older set of saves from the middle of last week. Still, I tried it, and the issue seems to be gone. OBSE is working, when I hit start from the steam page with the OBSE_steamdownloader. However, two things are different now. I bashed the entire set of mods, and removed the OBSE_launcher. On my Wyre Bash, there is no more option to boot from it, which used to take me into the game. I am afraid to put the OBSE_launcher back in case I run into issues.

OBSE works, since it's saving alongside with them again, and the Install Blockhead face issue is gone.

Could it also have to do with the saved game setup, since it was from days before when it was working without a problem?

If it's because of the OBSE_steamlauncher, then why was I able to boot into the game with OBSE working from Wrye Bash about 100 times before without a problem, when just using OBSE_launcher?

I'm a bit confused. But this has saved me about 3 days worth of work, since I was starting to install from scratch again.

Thanks for the help, HadToRegister, and DrakeTheDragon.

Install OBSE like this, as per the installation instructions included in the OBSE.ZIP

IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

Yes. I read that, but somewhere along the last week I've also read that you do not need to use the steamlauncher if you run it from Wrye Bash, so it has been confusing.

Was there a specific reason you wanted to start the game (with OBSE support) from within Wrye Bash (full disclosure ... I am an advocate for using different tools for the job they are best at, but only that .... and my mouse and desktop shortcut work flawlessly for starting Oblivion with OBSE support, just as WB is the tool for a bashed patch).

Yes, only because it worked perfectly fine on Wrye Mash for Morrowind. I played from the beginning to the end and used the little launcher icon on it. It also worked for a long time with Wrye Bash for Oblivion, until I messed around with the files to try and make them compatible for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and running them as an administrator.

Did you change them back after you found out they didn't work?

Because I'm running Oblivion from WryeBash, using Xobse and I didn't mess around with Admin MOd or Compatibility Mode.

If Obse was already working, there was no reason to change any of those by following a guide.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just undo the changes you made with compatibility mode

I've no experience myself with either Morrowind or Steam, but I see HadTo is still here and may have some insights to offer regarding both (HadTo has far more Elder Scrolls mileage than I do).

- Edit - And I now see that HadTo was one step ahead of me ... :thumbsup:

Especially when messing with Admin Mode, Games don't need Admin Access, the problem comes when people go crazy with Admin Mode, and make Steam run as Admin, then they make Oblivion run as admin, and then they can't figure out why OBSE won't start if it's not in Admin mode.

They end up setting up this entire chain of elevation that they forget about and then can't get things to work

Especially when messing with Admin Mode, Games don't need Admin Access, the problem comes when people go crazy with Admin Mode, and make Steam run as Admin, then they make Oblivion run as admin, and then they can't figure out why OBSE won't start if it's not in Admin mode.

They end up setting up this entire chain of elevation that they forget about and then can't get things to work

Yes, there was an elevation error, and the Win XP Service Pack 3 just didn't load. So I reset them. But then OBSE was not working like before. So, I think that is where the issue came in.

Yes, there was an elevation error, and the Win XP Service Pack 3 just didn't load. So I reset them. But then OBSE was not working like before. So, I think that is where the issue came in.

When you switched back to the Steqam_Loader.exe did you make sure it wasn't in compatibility mode, and that it wasn't running as Admin?

Because I have a feeling that's what this entire problem is.

I never mess with settings like that, especially if everything is already working.

I'll only try those setting as a last ditch effort

When you switched back to the Steqam_Loader.exe did you make sure it wasn't in compatibility mode, and that it wasn't running as Admin?

Because I have a feeling that's what this entire problem is.

I never mess with settings like that, especially if everything is already working.

I'll only try those setting as a last ditch effort

I think that that I left it on with Oblivion or Oblivion launcher, but set the OBSE launcher back to normal since it wouldn't run at all. One of them, might have been Oblivion had that elevation error. It was pretty messed up. It's also one of the first things on the list to do with the guide.

All of this was in an effort to make Oblivion as crash free as possible. I just got it back working, and am going through the other things outside of messing with compatibility or Admin. If the game crashes every 5 minutes, that was something that I would be desperate to avoid. It actually stopped me from playing it from 2006 to 2011, and when Skyrim came out, I just gave up on Oblivion. I don't want that to happen again. I know Bethesda made a lot of mistakes when they put this game out, and never went back to fix them. Fallout 3 and Skyrim were extremely stable compared to Oblivion, in my experience anyway.

I do crash time to time, not every 5 min though but I also run every Unofficial bugfix there is and also ENBoost, Enginebugfixes and performane Sounds, which I think make the game more stable. So now when you the game is working for you, do you use all those fixes to make the game more stable?

Edited by Pellape