Open Community  ·  26 members

Valheim

Where did the mods go?

gyrofalcon

These mods are not updated since early marsh, and are still up on ThunderStore anbd Github. (But still not updated there either)

So to calm Vortex, I had to remove the mod ID, so then Vortex checks for updates, it doesn't give an red error.

Edit: The user it self are gone :(

Well, it was fun when it lasted. Hopefully others can make similar mods, should the mod break due to an vanilla update in the future.

These mods are not updated since early marsh, and are still up on ThunderStore anbd Github. (But still not updated there either)

So to calm Vortex, I had to remove the mod ID, so then Vortex checks for updates, it doesn't give an red error.

Edit: The user it self are gone :sad:

Well, it was fun when it lasted. Hopefully others can make similar mods, should the mod break due to an vanilla update in the future.

I looked on GitHub, didn't see any mods by Xenofell, so can't really comment on mods I've never seen and don't know the name of. Its possible the source can be used, but maybe not, depends on the license used. If the source can be used, some other modder could easily take up support of the mods and just give credit to the original author.

No idea why this modder called it quits, it could be anything. Although if it their first time modding, they may have gotten a rude surprise. Most people that use your mod saying nothing. You are just as likely to get responses from a very angry person (seems like they hang out here a lot on the Internet) than someone praising you for a job well done. This can make modding less fun than most people would like and tends to make a lot of modders quit shortly after they begin.

I'm saying this from experience. I quit modding six years ago. Going to give it another shot, no idea how long I'll last this time (last time it was a bit over a year).

Edited by billwerth2

The signs tells us that the author quit, but it was strange to take down the mods and delete the user at Nexus.

But the Thunderstore and Github (https://github.com/cstamford/ValheimMods) are still up, but untouched for some time.

The mods works fine for now, and I do hope Xenofell comes back.

XenoFell, or cstamford, quit Valheim modding I'm sorry to say.

They themselfs PR'd (added) some of their mod features to our mod (ValheimPlus), we havent added anything he didnt add himself because his mods used more complex methods than others (XenoFells own preference, they are amazingly good at the whole modding thing) and I havent heard of anyone taking up their mantle really.

They did say people were free to use his code I believe (but don't quote me on that) so if you guys can find a mod dev willing to take over I do not think XenoFell is opposed to that.

Edit: The user it self are gone :sad:

I looked on GitHub, didn't see any mods by Xenofell, so can't really comment on mods I've never seen and don't know the name of. Its possible the source can be used, but maybe not, depends on the license used. If the source can be used, some other modder could easily take up support of the mods and just give credit to the original author.

No idea why this modder called it quits, it could be anything. Although if it their first time modding, they may have gotten a rude surprise. Most people that use your mod saying nothing. You are just as likely to get responses from a very angry person (seems like they hang out here a lot on the Internet) than someone praising you for a job well done. This can make modding less fun than most people would like and tends to make a lot of modders quit shortly after they begin.

I'm saying this from experience. I quit modding six years ago. Going to give it another shot, no idea how long I'll last this time (last time it was a bit over a year).

Like Journeyman says, you can find mods that do the same thing as some of his mods. One I like that is similar to RememberIPDamnit is QuickConnect for instance.

It would have been nice if cstamford would have put a license on his code in GitHub. By default, if no license is shown, it is copyrighted and can't be copied (at least this is what I learned 30 years ago and I think it still works that way). The Nexus site has some fairly strict rules about copying other mods on their site, although the mods are not on their site anymore, so seems like someone could repost a few of them and maintain them.

I'm wanting to get started modding for Valheim. Which of his mods are you finding you just can't do without? I would want to confirm he wouldn't mind me posting his mod and giving him credit first though. Don't want my very first mod to get me in hot water :)

To quit is a fair choice. You got to do, what you got to do. And again, there is no fault for the moment, but would love if anyone got permission to keep up the work.

The mods from Xenofell I use are BuildHelper (especially WorkbenchAttachmentRadius, BuildDistance and AreaRepairRadius are very much a must) and ImNoMasochist (I like it that I can increase the "chambers" of the Smelter and Kiln)

Please feel free to enlighten me if there are any mods out there that can replace these 2.

Snip from config files:

[ImNoMasochist]
## Changes the death penalty modifier - 0 disables death penalties. (Valheim default is 0.25f)
## Changes the max wood the smelter/blast furnace can hold. (Valheim default is 20)
## Changes the max ore the smelter/blast furnace can hold. (Valheim default is 10)
## Changes the max wood the kiln can hold. (Valheim default is 25)
## Changes the rested length per comfort level. (Valheim default is 60.0)
## Changes how close you msut be to a piece to gain its comfort. (Valheim default is 10.0)
## Changes how heavy the wagon believes it is, leading to changed maneuverability. (Valheim default is 1.0)

###########
[BuildHelper]
## Changes the workbench/stonecutter/etc distance. (Valheim default is 20.0)
## Changes the distance that station extensions can apply to a station. (Valheim default is 5.0)
## Changes the distance you can build using the hammer. (Valheim default is 5.0)
## The radius of pieces that will be repaired around the original piece.
## Pieces will always drop full resources, even when a resource is flagged to never drop.

To quit is a fair choice. You got to do, what you got to do. And again, there is no fault for the moment, but would love if anyone got permission to keep up the work.

The mods from Xenofell I use are BuildHelper (especially WorkbenchAttachmentRadius, BuildDistance and AreaRepairRadius are very much a must) and ImNoMasochist (I like it that I can increase the "chambers" of the Smelter and Kiln)

Please feel free to enlighten me if there are any mods out there that can replace these 2.

Snip from config files:

[ImNoMasochist]
## Changes the death penalty modifier - 0 disables death penalties. (Valheim default is 0.25f)
## Changes the max wood the smelter/blast furnace can hold. (Valheim default is 20)
## Changes the max ore the smelter/blast furnace can hold. (Valheim default is 10)
## Changes the max wood the kiln can hold. (Valheim default is 25)
## Changes the rested length per comfort level. (Valheim default is 60.0)
## Changes how close you msut be to a piece to gain its comfort. (Valheim default is 10.0)
## Changes how heavy the wagon believes it is, leading to changed maneuverability. (Valheim default is 1.0)

###########
[BuildHelper]
## Changes the workbench/stonecutter/etc distance. (Valheim default is 20.0)
## Changes the distance that station extensions can apply to a station. (Valheim default is 5.0)
## Changes the distance you can build using the hammer. (Valheim default is 5.0)
## The radius of pieces that will be repaired around the original piece.
## Pieces will always drop full resources, even when a resource is flagged to never drop.

Valheim Plus I think does everything ImNoMasochist does except "rested length per comfort level". It also does everything BuildHelper does except maybe the distance extensions can apply. Might do those too, I just don't recall. They are adding stuff all the time, hard to keep track.

I see cstandford has added a License to his Valheim depot 4 hours ago.

cstamford/ValheimMods is licensed under the

Do What The F*** You Want To Public License
The easiest license out there. It gives the user permissions to do whatever they want with your code.

(https://github.com/cstamford/ValheimMods/blob/main/LICENSE)

I love this guy :D