Insisting on Lore, your Mod is too weird for TES

daventry

Some people are just negative and view everything in a negative light.

Some are so eager to conform to peer pressure (or are even outright xenophobic) that they pick on anything that's slightly different.

Some individuals have such low self esteem that they have to diminish others' achievements in any way they can, and lore-friendliness is an easy target.

Some feel that being obnoxious is the only way they can influence others.

None of the above are worth wasting time on.

(P.S. I loved the Super Mario mod!)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No all the mods you listed are lore unfriendly.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26677 Legend has it they were the love children of Frost and Shadowmere.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35105 This race was an offshoot of the Argonians, genetically engineered by a rogue wizard after a visit to Black Marsh.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16020 Notice how you never see Belethor and Spiderman together in the same place?

The car mod, well, I might give you that one. Maybe there was a rift in the time-space continuum and it got sucked out of post FO3 Washington.

I'm with Werne. At the end of the day, it's my game. I want what I want; if it's not canon, who cares as long as I'm enjoying myself.

I agree with you and Shadowmere was a Girl Horse in Oblivion, but in Skyrim, its a Male Horse, a muck up by Bethesda :wink:

By the way, i dont even like Soul Gems or anything that involves the Human Spirit being Drained, so it can be quite risky to ask for such a Mod that i would like where you could also rather gain the Knowledge of a Word Wall and have the Power open to you instead of draining the Soul of a Dragon. :ermm:

Edited by daventry

well either way, this is the internet and kids are jerks. they should just say nothing. the appropriate response is ask the moderators (mods...mods) to ban people.

a discussion about it is probably near 100% useless. the chances of someone being 'invested' in the nexus community enough to read the forums, but not enough to avoid being rude on mod comment pages is going to be low.

that being said.. i bet the people (read; wizards) who make pony mods feed themselves off our yummy pork flavoured hate and fear.

Yes, a persons game is their own, and you can make your own lore. In my game I believe things how I see fit...whether it is TES official lore or not, Galmor Stone-Fist is a crossdresser in private life and keep's Ulfric warm at night, Sapphire is a Thalmor agent and the Greybeards spend there time when I'm not there, running around naked and smoking dried nirnroot. Whether modders stick to TES lore, or their own, I thank them for sharing their imagination with us

Well, regardless of the mod, flaming is against the site rules, so all an author (or fellow forum member) needs to do is report it to the admin. I think they are amazingly good at keeping this forum a friendly place, especially when you compare it to the atmosphere at the Workshop.

Man I'm getting so much cancer from this post... Aladdin must definitely be trolling or by the least be a twelve-fourteen year old kid... MLP, Spiderman and car mods for skyrim is just... yeah...

Here's what, a mod creator who have taken his time to understand the space his creation will be a part of generally is also one who cares more to make a good mod, there's nothing wrong with a fun mod you can install once you've completed the game, but they aren't of much value if you're anything but a complete toon...

Not all mods who aren't lore friendly needs be dismissed, but they do need to stay withing the artistic frame of Skyrim, or in other words, axes / shields, not M16's, ford mustangs and avenger ponies.

Of course, if you have no taste or sense of real and serious gameplay, you can probably enjoy a few of those kind of mods, but you won't see me weep if we lose these mod creators from the nexus.

Edited by FreddyHollensen

Aladdin must definitely be trolling or by the least be a twelve-fourteen year old kid... MLP, Spiderman and car mods for skyrim is just... yeah...

Yeah, but you have to take into consideration that the game is mine. I paid for it, I installed it, it's on my hard drive that is located inside my PC standing in my living room. Therefore, according to common sense and the Croatian law, it is mine and nobody else's. And I want ponies and cars and Spiderman suits, so what?

I won't infect anyone else's game with ponies, I love the TES series but I don't give a s*** about the TES "lore friendly thingies" what so ever and I didn't buy a game to play it or make it look the way someone else is forcing me to.

Is the author of that car/pony/Spiderman mod in your room right now pressing a gun barrel to your head and screaming at you to get his mod and play the game with it? No, nobody tells you to play the game his way, so why am I and others like me constantly being insulted and pushed into playing the game your (or everyone else's, just not our own) way?

Not all mods who aren't lore friendly needs be dismissed, but they do need to stay withing the artistic frame of Skyrim, or in other words, axes / shields, not M16's, ford mustangs and avenger ponies.

There is absolutely no reason to, as you said, "stay within the artistic frame of Skyrim". And why should we, limiting an artist (which is actually what modders are) like that is bulls*** and we both know it. It's like taking Mona Lisa and then setting it on fire because Leonardo Da Vinci painted her hair black and you like blondes so you'd rather see it burn than let others see it, even if they might like it. Censorship is what that's called and it's both immoral and disgusting.

Of course, if you have no taste or sense of real and serious gameplay, you can probably enjoy a few of those kind of mods, but you won't see me weep if we lose these mod creators from the nexus.

Let's put it this way, I'm one of "those mod creators", I like and make lore-unfriendly stuff.

However, my lore-friendly mods (along with the not-so-lore-friendly ones) have been in the Hot Files and FOTM more than a few times (not in Skyrim, FO3). I'm a 3D modeler, I learn very fast and occasionally I tend to upload stuff that starts spreading like wildfire or assist on a mod that gets in top 100 mods of all times, FOTM or at least Hot Files (like Beyond Boulder Dome for New Vegas, which ranks 61. on the top 100 mods of all times).

Not to mention that many of the mod authors I've assisted with my advices or my work or my testing of their mods are now mostly far more successful and popular than me. You may even use their mods and love them while those same mods maybe never would've existed if it weren't for me helping them.

And you have no idea what wonderful creation that mod author who created the car mod could make in a few months, it might be one of those mods you never want to get rid of. But it doesn't matter to you if he gets chased off the Nexus or destroys that work due to people insulting him. On the contrary, by your analogy and the arrogant "I'm above you" way you expressed yourself, he actually deserves it because he made that car.

One more thing, did you ever spend days or weeks of working hard to make something you like and want to have in your game, just to see both that thing and you insulted by guys much like yourself once you decided to share it, the same way, or even worse, than you just insulted me and a lot of other authors with the last two sentences I quoted?

If the answer to the question above is no, then you are yet to earn the right to say the things you just did.

Edited by Werne

@ Werne:

1. I am very much in agreement with your material points.

2. I would like to request that maybe you could increase the font size that you use? I really appreciate what you have to say in these forums but I have a very hard time seeing them.

@ everyone: I use about 50 mods of the thousands that are uploaded. I suspect that there may be at best another 150 or so that I would find particularly useful or relevant to my style of play.

However, I am grateful that the Nexus supports modding and mod authors rather than mods in particular. There is already way too much censorship and stifling of creativity in the world.

And perhaps a mod I consider silly or tasteless or trivial will be that author's stepping stone to the mod I end up feeling I can't play without.