Oblivion or Skyrim?

FillipeMattos

We could say that Skyrim is a game with a different proposal from the Oblivion. You have better graphics, a wide variety of weapons, armor and a reasonable story, but not spectacular. Oblivion, in turn, offered us a proposal completely medieval, with unique characters, charismatic and a deep history. The past of the NPCs was more exploited. The soundtrack is as good as Skyrim, the graphic is a little less than Skyrim, but still excellent. Although Skyrim was a great game, it seems they lack something. "Why for some people Oblivion is better than Skyrim?

Edited by FillipeMattos

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Oblivion for the character creation and the Cyrodill setting because the cultures are more varied, the game also has much more complex gameplay while Skyrim is streamed down to cater for the casual market meaning more essential npcs, less quest options and less roleplaying options.

Skyrim has better visuals and greater detailed landscapes where as Obvlion's were just auto generated and bland looking. The LOD distances also look incredible compared to its predecessor and i like the Nordic setting and dragon theme even though i find it hard to play as any other race apart from Nord or Imperial as they seem out of place.

No question, Skyrim without a doubt or even Morrowind over oblivion. I hated Oblivion, it was just so boring and repetative and all the landscape was just the same and all the dungeons just looked the same. The three level ones were the most boring of all

I really miss Oblivion's fantasy setting but im going back to play it after im done with my ever increasing backlog of games.

Skyrim is great at combat and the landscape wich makes me want to walk around and fight enemies i meet.

Oblivion is great at the amount of quests and the diverse cities and the scenery of the cities. I miss being able to meet Argonians, Khajiit's and Orc's at a regular basis like in Oblivion.

Even though Oblivion had very few voice actors it did feel like i met different different npc's with varied personalities and stories in the game.

EDIT: Also Oblivion's repair system.

Having to sleep to level up gave me a reason to why i should buy a house.

How greaves and the top armor isn't fused into one like in Skyrim.

The shops being in different categories of weapons and armor and not just one shop with every weapon and armor in one.

Edited by gamevsreality

Initially, I did prefer Oblivion over Skyrim for different reasons. There were features, magic, things, and things regarding guilds, etc where I feel as though Skyrim took a step backwards.

But over time, I don't know. I don't know how Skyrim won me over to where I had far more play throughs on that than with Oblivion (though I had a lot with Oblivion too)

Maybe part of it was being able to stay immersed longer in Skyrim since all the women (including the "pretty" ones) didn't look all messed up like they did in Oblivion. They actually looked "normal" so to speak.

Maybe it was the appearance of things overall being improved. Honestly I don't know, but I definitely am for Skyrim over Oblivion now, but can understand those who would say otherwise although that is not my personal point of view.

Skyrim

Oblivion has a far superior overall design. From character creation to skill implementation to combat to exploration. Skyrim's implementation has subtle improvements, but it's really like one step forward, two steps back.

For example: The user interface. Frankly, in Oblivion the UI sucks. It sucks really really bad. After I'm done modifying it, it's at least tolerable, but there are still annoying things like how the damn NPCs feel compelled to talk to you after every single transaction. Skyrim makes the keyboard usage quite a bit more intuitive, but their UI design, visually, is FAR worse than Oblivion. Compare the map, for example, in Oblivion to Skyrim. In Oblivion, the map was perfect (if you used Darn's UI, anyway). In Skyrim, the map is just... It's wrong. If I were a teacher and the map in Skyrim were a homework assignment, I would give it an F and demand that the idiot student redo the assignment.

I could go on and on for hours, but the above gives you a pretty good representative sample of how I feel on the matter.

Bit hard to compare, as they were both made in different times, would Skyrim have been better than Oblivion if it came out in 2006? And vice versa. I miss Oblivion, but I don't think I could play it again now. Now, if Bethesda took the best parts out of both Oblivion and Skyrim and made a game, it would be spectacular