Poor Tablet Signal

Ironman5000

My gf has gotten an android tablet today but she cannot stay connected to the internet for 5 minutes as it's having massive difficulty picking up a signal from our router. I always have my computer connected and she often does with the laptop and we always have a 5 bar connection, but this tablet is struggling. We use Wifi by the way.

It's really bad when she tries to download apps and disconnects every time.

Does anyone have any advice, because these things are totally foreign to me!

Specs

CPU: ARM Cortex-A8 1GHz-1.5GHz.

RAM: 512M-1GB (optional)

ROM: Nand Flash 4gb/8gb/16gb(optional)

AMD graphics acceleration

Wifi wireless: support 802.11b/g/n standard, highest transmission get to 300Mbps, support local WAPI wireless protocol standard.

3G: Built in 3G module, WCDMA/HSDPA, support calling, message, Wifi ad hoc

Dunno if I need to mention other specs.

I have a Nexus 10 tablet (not sure of the specs I don't have it in front of me) and I love it, but sometimes its wii-fi signal is dodgy. I have never had it have the issues that your girlfriend is having.

Maybe you can find some help here?

http://forums.androidcentral.com

I have already tried troubleshooting on these forums before, and it does seem a lot of people get a similar problems but nobody can give a helpful answer over there which leads me to believe a lot of people who use these have little technical experience which is why I thought I would try here.

The usual forum pattern is "I have got this problem...can anyone help?" "Me too" "Me too" "Me too" "Me too" "Me too" "Me too" "Me too" etc. :facepalm: Makes me wonder if they have any staff running the site at all! :P

Anyway I told her to start a topic, don't know if she has or not yet.

Yeah I understand.

I haven't had the download issues she has had. I get very weak signal sometimes for no reason. Like I will be sitting in the living room right next to the dang modem and it does this. But like I said it hasn't done that.

I will look around but my tablet is rooted so I am not sure that I can be too much help (plus I am a kinda new tablet person also) but if I find anything or a fix I will let you know. Good luck to you and her!

You sure it is signal strength?

I had similar problem with an older tablet, Archos 101 specific. It connected alright worked for some minutes and then lost....

Irritating to say the least! >:(

After lot of readings on tech sites it showed that the chipset was buggy with the latest 11g 11n wireless routers together with WPA 2 encryption standards :-( So in my case I had to set up an old wireless router just capable with WPA and 11g to get it stable just for the tablet what a waste.

A tip is to temporary lower allowed connection speeds like 11g or even less and/or a lower encryption method on the wireless router to test if the problems dissapear. Then hopefully at least you know what causes it.