Custom Settlement Issues

aurreth

kk, two things, one minor and one head scratcher. I turned Vault-Tec Regional Headquarters into a settlement. Everything looks to work fine, recruitment beacon summons a settler, supply lines show on the map, etc. But two problems:

1. The map marker does not appear on the map. The outside one, the vanilla VT Regional HQ one, that is still there, but the new one inside the building doesn't show. I've gone over the stuff for creating custom travel points, which I've done before successfully, and everything on the mapmarker and xmarkerheading look good, and they the LinkRef is there, but still not showing up.

Ok, that one is livable if annoying.

2. I set up a beacon in the lobby, waited a bit, a settler appeared at the spawn point... and then promptly turned around and walked out the front door. WTF? Build mode shows one settler, there's food, water, beds and power, heck even happiness is showing at 80... but I have absolutely no idea where the settler went. And it's kinda hard to assign her to a task if she vacates the building immediately.

Any ideas why that would happen?

Ok, just had the random new settler introduction... outside the building, where I can't access workshop mode of course.

Buuut, did give me a suspicion. I reused the existing VaultTecOffice location and encounter zone instead of creating a new one, and maybe that zone encompasses the two external locations as well (I dunno why there are two of them, there are).

Sooo, will go back in and try with a new LCTN and ECNZ dedicated to the settlement, see if that solves the issue.

Yeah, took a look at the vanilla location and I see it covers two cells, VaultTecOffice01 and VaultTecOfficeExt02. Not Ext01 though (shrug).

Sooo, the question becomes can I just remove Ext02 in my mod, or would it be safer to make a new location and encounter zone? I probably should do the latter, but I'm really curious about what happens if I just remove the extra cell.

Ok, I'm pretty sure that assigning the exterior cell to the same location as the interior was a mistake. I changed it so Ext02 is now in the same parent location as Ext01.

My guess is that originally there were bigger plans for the Vault-Tec Offices but they never made it into production. Hence having two external locations that are basically 5 feet from each other and contain nothing special.

Now, how do I sort out the map marker?

Aaaaand, for anyone actually following this the wayward settler came back during work hours, then promptly headed out the door again! But I caught her the next day, assigned her work and a bed, hopefully that will keep her put.

Now that I've adjusted the location of Ext02 and the VaultTecOffice location only covers the office, have to put the beacon back up, call a new settler, and observe behavior.

Now back to the non-working map marker/fast travel spot. I was thinking maybe because it is an interior cell, but Vault 88 is interior and fast travel takes you to the workshop workbench, inside the vault.

Aaaaand, for anyone actually following this the wayward settler came back during work hours, then promptly headed out the door again! But I caught her the next day, assigned her work and a bed, hopefully that will keep her put.

Now that I've adjusted the location of Ext02 and the VaultTecOffice location only covers the office, have to put the beacon back up, call a new settler, and observe behavior.

Now back to the non-working map marker/fast travel spot. I was thinking maybe because it is an interior cell, but Vault 88 is interior and fast travel takes you to the workshop workbench, inside the vault.

Vault 88 is the exception to the rule: you can't fastravel to/from a interior cell.

So, check 88 to see how it's done there (not with the regular fasttravel marker) and make sure fasttravel is enabled for the cell (by default its disabled for interior cells)

Vault 88 is the exception to the rule: you can't fastravel to/from a interior cell.

So, check 88 to see how it's done there (not with the regular fasttravel marker) and make sure fasttravel is enabled for the cell (by default its disabled for interior cells)

Thanks for the confirmation. Oh, and yes, fast travel is enabled, at least it works for leaving the (interior) cell. I'll pry into 88 today, see what makes it different.

What about railroad hq? Can fast travel to/from there as well.

Good point, and a smaller cell so should be easier to pinpoint the marker for dissection.

Some of these fast travel points are insanely hard to locate. I'm trying to find the Vault 114 marker (the one to the manhole cover where you exit after rescuing Nick) so that I can rename it to Vault 114 Surface Access, and for the life of me I have no idea where the actual marker is. The header marker for where you exit with Nick, but not the actual fast travel point.

What about railroad hq? Can fast travel to/from there as well.

Good point, and a smaller cell so should be easier to pinpoint the marker for dissection.

Some of these fast travel points are insanely hard to locate. I'm trying to find the Vault 114 marker (the one to the manhole cover where you exit after rescuing Nick) so that I can rename it to Vault 114 Surface Access, and for the life of me I have no idea where the actual marker is. The header marker for where you exit with Nick, but not the actual fast travel point.

I don't think there is one in the vanilla game. It's not a spot you 'discover', so, there is no marker to travel to. At least, not that I have ever found...... :)