Future of Windows is on ARM. So when will the games be converted to ARM?

mkr1977

From everything I am seeing, Windows 10 is already out on ARM devices, but, mostly portable devices. (surface pro x) And while the ARM processors seem to have a performance advantage over intel-based chips, a fair few of the applications that businesses want, aren't compiled for ARM.... So, there is an emulation layer, initially only for 32 bit apps. Of course, given the additional layer, performance of these apps suffered..... and actually ran better on chips they were originally designed for. (no surprise there.) Supposedly, a 64 bit emulator came out toward the end of 2020, but, I didn't dig into that too far.....

Apples seems to want to switch ALL of their hardware to arm based...... From what I found, there is a performance, and power usage advantage to be had by doing so. For portable devices, I can see the advantages. But, for us Windows folks, who mostly play on desktop machines, arm-based gaming is going to be problematic. First, are the game companies going to recompile their games for the new architecture? Or are we going to be stuck running an emulator, and lose ALL the performance advantages of arm-based computing?

While it MIGHT happen, eventually.... I don't see it happening any time soon

To add to what HeyYou points out, Apple can get away with using ARM due to it's fairly closed off ecosystem. While it is somewhat compatible with non-Apple applications, their machines are designed to work with each other and use Apple made software. So much like consoles, everything is very carefully designed and optimized for very specific hardware.