Xbox Reveal

JimboUK

Yeah... remake... woooooooooo...

So, are they genuinely afraid of innovation or are they just so out of touch with modern gaming that they've decided to mindlessly rehash old games in the hope of appealing to the retro crowd? See, there's a point beyond which "retro"
transitions into a total death of all creativity and the Final Fantasy series is long, long, long past that point. We've seen this happen dozens of times in the automotive world. Car company makes a good car in (pick a decade) car company hits financial trouble, car company appeals to enthusiast's hearts and does a remake.

Mercedes did it right; a limited-run retro sports car produced for only 3 years as a stopgap between the removal of one model and the addition of a new one. I can name a dozen companies that have done what FF has done-endless rehashes. They're all closed down now. And if FF doesn't reinvent itself it's going to go the same way. Elfin for example. Elfin reintroduced an old classic racer-it sold well for, you guessed it, about 3 years. Then it hit a cliff-sales dropped from 250 a year to 28 by the fourth and 2 by the fifth. Elfin kept cranking out obsolete cars. Elfin went away.

Retro DOES work, but you've got to be retro in moderation, otherwise you'll be sending the message that your glory days are long passed and that you can't ever come up with something as good-much like Nintendo currently is.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're also missing another point on retro; retro means RETRO, not rehash. Ok, so, this is a 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS. It's a thoroughly retro car, why? It's STYLING is based on that of a Mercedes 300-SL, a famous sports car thge brand made in the late 1950s, smoothed out into a shape fitting a modern age. Yet under the hood, the SLS is a cutting-edge modern sports car-the only thing it shares with a 300SL, mechanically, is it's overall layout and proportioning. Everything else is cutting-edge. THIS is retro done right; it's got styling that reminds motoring fans of a true classic from a bygone age, but it's also modern enough to be liveable; otherwise people would just buy an actual 300SL.

FF is the opposite. They seem to think retro means re-launching existing products into the modern age with minor tweaks. it's not like that. What they should try, is making a brand spanking new engine, making a brand new game on that engine, and then adopting the ART STYLE of the older game. This, I'm sure, would sell better. FF have been simply re-launching back-catalogue games for the past 20 years; it's kept them alive, but it's also seen their relevance to the modern gamer plummit to the point that most Australian gamers have never even heard of either Final Fantasy or Square Enix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mercedes-Benz_SLS_AMG_(C_197)_%26_Mercedes-Benz_300_SL_(W_198)_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_10._August_2011,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Retro done right. ^^

Edited by Vindekarr

it may be thousands, but you can't compete against everyone including the military :devil:

And also this disturbing news

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/microsofts-alleged-collaboration-with-nsa-surveillance-programs-detailed

i feel sorry for people buying the XspY

Edited by Thor.

looks like the Sony beat Microsoft when it comes to completeness. IGN gave away a ps4, looks like the firmware and the console in itself is ready and being manufactured as we speak.

Unlike at 3e with ms, they seem to be far more ahead when it comes to being shelf ready then the xbox one. There has been rumours of spec changes of the xbox one, in comparison to the already playable ps4.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/14/podcast-beyond-episode-300

Edited by Thor.

this is how i feel about my situation regarding the PS4:

I do want one, and ill get one. if not this Holiday Season, then shortly thereafter in the new year im sure. However, ive come to the realization as of late, that i just dont play my console that much anymore. i play mostly on my PC. i enjoy it better. before i had my Desktop i had a "gaming laptop" and would switch between that and my PS3. but now with my Desktop, that is more comfortable to use and obviously 10x better, ive just sunken deeper into PC gaming. I just bought Boderlands 2 on PC, even after having sunk a few hundred hours into it on PS3 (give or take) and im having a blast. probably more fun that i did on PS3. even having played Borderlands 1 solely on PS3, with enough hours to be up there in most hours ive put into a game, plus Borderlands 2, BL2 still feels more natural to me on PC, even though ive only ever played it on PS3. but its this that makes me realize that im moving away from console gaming.

that said, i still do want a PS4, for a few reasons. 1) Exclusives. Sony/Consoles have some great exclusives, MGS, Ratchet and Clank, Dragons Dogma, and Destiny looks to be great for PS4, and others. 2) Games that are/will be poorly optimized for PC. a game where its recommended you use a game pad to play on PC, is a game ill just buy on console. such as Souls Series games. even if Dark Souls 2 is optimized for PC, its a game that ill probably get on PS4 (if i decide to get it). 3) Games i know ill be playing with friends. Another example where Souls comes in, is i have friends from the original Demons Souls, whom i played with when Dark Souls came out and who ill probably play with when DS2 comes out. There may be a game here and there where i get for both systems, Borderlands is a good example. i do have friends on Console who play it including my gf who likes to play it when shes over. but i enjoy it more on PC. so i would be inclined to get it for both.

so basically as i said im just growing away from console. ill still get it, but im not as hyped as i was even during E3. my excitement has faded since then upon my realization that i just enjoy PC more.