Snowbound

Aurielius

Living on the middle Atlantic seaboard we have not really been affected with anything more troublesome than abnormality cold weather. I know we have at least a half dozen regulars that live in the northern states / lower provinces..how are you guys faring?

On a side note I have been amused to see that our erstwhile politicos on the ultra Green left attempting to correlate the blizzards on the Great Lakes with global warming....chuckes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposed to be in the 40's and 50's this weekend. (GLOBAL WARMING!!!! GLOBAL WARMING!!!) Of course, it is also supposed to rain all weekend. I won't mind overmuch, it will make a nice change from the barely double-digit temps we have been having this week...... and all the snow/ice around will melt. Barely a dusting of snow on the ground here.... but, some of the dirt roads are quite interesting.......

On a side note I have been amused to see that our erstwhile politicos on the ultra Green left attempting to correlate the blizzards on the Great Lakes with global warming....chuckes.

And all of this time I thought it was simply a matter of cold air connecting/crossing with warm water???

Damn!! I shoulda known that it was either Bush, or, us evil humans existing that is the actual cause. :)

If you look at it global warming is a man created event. It's not an issue of weather it is actually occuring in nature, but it is occuring in the minds of those who are influencial enough to effect the lives of others and that is what is truly scary to me. We arew being made to suffer and pay for a thery that has not been proven to exist anywhere other than the minds of it's creators.

If you look at it global warming is a man created event. It's not an issue of weather it is actually occuring in nature, but it is occuring in the minds of those who are influencial enough to effect the lives of others and that is what is truly scary to me. We arew being made to suffer and pay for a thery that has not been proven to exist anywhere other than the minds of it's creators.

Global Warming makes for a great 'chicken little' scenario......

The climate is always changing regardless of man's influence or not. Although, man's influence is not just theoretically accelerating this change, it is basically accelerating the change. Just because it is not a "proven" fact doesn't discredit the concerns or it's existence. There is more than enough evidence suggesting it's existence even if not a completely proven fact. As an example, some people say smoking is not a proven fact that will lead to cancer. Yes this is actually true, but you can't take away the fact that there is more than enough evidence suggesting that smoking can increase the risk of cancer.

Just "one" of the major concerns that faces "Climate change" aka "Global Warming" is the accelerating rise of the ocean. Eventually at the rate the ocean is rising because of things like the "polar icecaps" melting alone due to this "climate changing" The current entire Mid Atlantic Seaboard will basically just become another part of the Atlantic Ocean sooner than later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/current_sea_level_rise

As a side note weather changing and climate changing are two different things when talking about "global warming". Just because you live somewhere and are experiencing extremely cold weather other places in the world are most likely experiencing extremely warm weather.

Edited by colourwheel

The climate is always changing regardless of man's influence or not. Although, man's influence is not just theoretically accelerating this change, it is basically accelerating the change. Just because it is not a "proven" fact doesn't discredit the concerns or it's existence. There is more than enough evidence suggesting it's existence even if not a completely proven fact. As an example, some people say smoking is not a proven fact that will lead to cancer. Yes this is actually true, but you can't take away the fact that there is more than enough evidence suggesting that smoking can increase the risk of cancer.

Just "one" of the major concerns that faces "Climate change" aka "Global Warming" is the accelerating rise of the ocean. Eventually at the rate the ocean is rising because of things like the "polar icecaps" melting alone due to this "climate changing" The current entire Mid Atlantic Seaboard will basically just become another part of the Atlantic Ocean sooner than later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/current_sea_level_rise

As a side note weather changing and climate changing are two different things when talking about "global warming". Just because you live somewhere and are experiencing extremely cold weather other places in the world are most likely experiencing extremely warm weather.

First, I'd like to welcome you back. If something is not proven, does that justify a scare tactic to push it or a program of demonization implimented against those who are skeptical about it.? I want to clean up this mess just as much as anyone else, but when people get so overblown that they personally attack eachother and seek to discredit others for meerly speaking their minds, it begins to take on the image of political activism instead of a scientific analysis.

The climate is always changing regardless of man's influence or not. Although, man's influence is not just theoretically accelerating this change, it is basically accelerating the change. Just because it is not a "proven" fact doesn't discredit the concerns or it's existence. There is more than enough evidence suggesting it's existence even if not a completely proven fact.

Just because it isn't proven we should accept the concept and act on the theory anyway? Interesting scientific methodology. Now we have gone from "it's proven science" to there is a strong corollary to our hypothesis. The only thing stated that is unquestionable is that the earth's climate has always been in flux from snowball earth to the present interglacial period. Plate tectonics affecting deep ocean currents has a greater relevant influence on the long term global climate.

If something is not proven, does that justify a scare tactic to push it or a program of demonization implimented against those who are skeptical about it.?

No it doesn't justify it. Which is why scare tactics and programs demonizing those implimented against those who are skeptical about it aren't really working.

Just because it isn't proven we should accept the concept and act on the theory anyway?

In my opinion, no more than accepting the concept that you would most likely die if you jumped off from a 50 story building. Just because it's not a proven fact that a person will die from jumping from a 50 story building doesn't mean they most likely will. When there is more than enough evidence suggesting something to be highly likely you tend to be more cautious about hanging off the ledge of a 50 story building.

Pushing people into fuel poverty and making industry uncompetitive thus costing jobs and ruining lives is not the sort of thing you should do in response to a discredited theory.

Your opinion is very valid yet I don't think you would have the same view of this sort of thing if it was found that all food companies over the last few decades have been putting toxic chemicals into our food to save huge amounts of money. Trying to rectify something like this people would probably lose jobs and possible put some people in poverty. But at least we won't have to worry about the risk of fatally poisoning our bodies from just eating food anymore.