Seperate but Equal: MW and OB segregation on nexus?

ReverendKnots

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Morrowind and Oblivion should be given their own nexus subdomains?

Of course you could use the tag search and set it for morrowind.

http://tes.nexusmods...s/tagsearch.php

Agreed. Especially since the morrowind files take up such a small section of the domain as is. Planet Elder Scrolls has plenty of Morrowind mods, if you are worried about getting lost in the so-called "jumble" here, you don't have to upload them here; no one is making you. And as micalov said, its a day late and a dollar short. Plus, it only takes you a couple seconds more to figure out that the mod you are looking at is for MW or OB, so I don't think its gonna be all that detrimental to you to use your brain every once in a while :)

Edited by kingtitan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you have your heart in the right place, Kingtitan, but what you are basically saying is "anyone who would want this is stupid and the MW modding scene is dead anyway". That's ridiculous.

Argument: "AVERAGE USERS ARE DUMB"

I'm not saying that the current site layout confuses me, but it obviously confuses a lot of people and if it confuses people it is the fault of the website and not the fault of the people using it. The current nexus layout is worlds better than how it used to be so props at the staff, I'm not trying to knock nexus or anything, but that doesn't stop OB and MW mods being on the same site from being confusing to the the average user.

I think anything average people are expected to use (average people being the vast majority of people who browse and download mods from nexus sites) should have as low a learning curve as possible. Making it necessary to use an out-of-the-way and down right busy advanced search function to effectively browse nexus for MW mods steepens the curve and that makes it suboptimal. It works perfectly fine for those of us that have been around a long time, but such a feature is probably just going to get overlooked by the average user. It doesn't make the average user stupid like you seem to be saying, it just means they don't spend anywhere near as much time doing this crap as we do.

Argument: "MORROWIND MODDING IS DEAD"

It's more alive than DA/2 modding from the looks of things and no one is saying DA/2 mods should get published to the same nexus site as Witcher or something like that. If you had read my entire original post and I surely hope you did, you'd notice I made the claim that only a fraction of MW modders right now use Nexus, and a huge reason for that is because of the perceived notion that TESnexus is an Oblivion site and not a site for MW mods.

Hell, a lot of MW modders don't even use PES; that site is broken so badly that most of us can't even log in to post mods in the first place and those of us that can have to wait a day or two for the mod to get approved. So if it looks like MW modding is dead, know that a big reason for that is that there is no good place to visibly post MW mods right now.

What makes it awkward is that it's inconsistent. Every other supported game series has either a site per series or a site per game. Only TES has a mixed setup with one game on its own and the other two mixed together.

Note that I'm not criticising the Nexus for this, it was undoubtedly the right decision at the time but may be worth revisiting due to changed circumstances (Skyrims release and aren't IGN reducing support for the fan sites like PES?)

I believe you have your heart in the right place, Kingtitan, but what you are basically saying is "anyone who would want this is stupid and the MW modding scene is dead anyway". That's ridiculous.

No, actually you proved my point precisely. I merely stated that I think most individuals (especially those that are newer) tend to take the so-called "easy way out." By summarizing my statement and taking from it what you wanted, you did that exactly. Never did I say that "anyone who would want to do this is stupid," I merely implied that the logistics of making such a change were impractical by this point in time. Such a topic taken into consideration when Oblivion was first released would be much relevant than bringing it up six to seven years after the fact. When I said it wouldn't hurt to use your brain, my intention was to imply that it would make more logical sense to have site users read a couple extra words than go through the entire lengthy process of creating a sub-domain.

And for your "Morrowind modding is dead" assertion, those are words that never came from me. I merely stated that a small percentage of the overall file mass on here is taken up by morrowind mods. Would you spend your time, money, and resources to make a product that you know will only appeal to a small(er) audience (relative to the primary oblivion and skyrim audience)? I never said that it was dead, I only asserted that if it were me, I would not spend resources on something that is almost guaranteed to lose you money. It's really a rather simple business concept.

At any rate I'm not trying to start a pointless flame war about who is right or who is wrong. I merely stated my opinion based on the facts that I know or can logically assume. I would much rather have an educated discussion about the pros and cons about the situation than an ignorant shouting match (of which I refuse to participate in, my time is best spent elsewhere if that is the case). Leave that stuff to Jerry Springer haha!

Edited by kingtitan

Imho the only reason i think each elderscroll game should be seperated is only the fact that each mod is specialized for each game and it makes it easier to find a single mod for each game instead of trying to see which game that mod is for since it doesnt say it in the seach results.

having all games mixed together would require a filter to seperate which mod fits to which game, so if that was done then i would have no arguments to a simplified mixed site.

• 3 weeks later...

CURRENT EVENTS:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1363941-planetelderscrolls-will-no-longer-support-new-files-from-the-1st-of-may/

PES looks like it's beginning to capsize, which makes Great House Fliggerty and TESNexus the only two practical places to upload MW mods. I happen to like GHF a lot, but I still think a dedicated MW nexus site would be great for the community.

Snip

Perhaps I misread you. Either way, I have always gotten the impression that Nexus was a labor of love more than a labor for $$$ and depending on how the mod database is set up, this could be really really easy rather than a long arduous process you describe. I wish someone who has more incite on that side of things could make a comment on this, because either way we're just speculating.

If an admin of here can talk with the admin of PES, to find a way to host all thz mods (principaly the Morrowind ones because it's the reference site since many years) onto TESNexus. Like you do with the rescue of the Neverwinter Nights database mods and community.

And here it would be really great and important to separate the Oblivion mods of the Morrowind mods by creating a new site for oen of the two. please !!!

It would be a great gift to the Morrowind community for his 10 years!!!!

Someone posted on the BGS forum earlier that file downloads from PES are hosed. They're trying to download into the browser as text rather than as proper files. That doesn't really make it easy to begin retrieval of content from the site. Edited by Arthmoor