Mothership Zeta Crew ¿Romance? Referendum

Nylonathathep

Mothership Zeta Crew Romance Options  

546 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want me to implement a romance system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I don't care.
    • I'll decide after you finish the main plot and all characters are shown, you lazy bastard!
  2. 2. Preferred Female

3. 3. Preferred Male

Hello!

I write this because I'm back into working on the MZC project. I've been receiving quite a few requests to implement a romance system, and I've given it some thought. I mean, I received quite a lot of different requests, but this one seems more consistant among players. I want to know just how wanted that really is before pouring more time into it.

However, if I do, i will only implement the thing for ONE male and ONE female character. If I start implementing romance options for just everyone... I'll end up puking rainbows! And, if I feel the thing is coming out horridly... I'll cancel it and let third party modders handle the it! Better no "official" romance option than a crappy one heheeh

Not all the characters are listed, because there is new people turning up in further releases (and some of the listed characters aren't really available for romance), but this will help me get an idea about what kind of character the public likes the most. The list is short and more orientative than anything, showing different character archetypes to help me identify what kind of persona "players fancy". It is more important for me to know IF there is a large enough base of "TSC citizenship" who want romance options implemented.

Thank you for your patience during this looong hyatus! I'm glad to be working in the project again.

-Nylonathathep-

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I actually outright oppose video game romances, I selected I don't care since I could just opt to not do it. I chose Tanaka and not Kurosawa because I seem to remember something in the GECK about the latter saying "Never with superior officers." Plus, Tanaka to me is moe. For the male, I say Orlov. Reminds me of royal families intermarrying.

I voted don't care because while casual flirting between characters can be fun video games sometimes focus too much on romance than character development. Voted Kurosawa because I like her personality more but Tanaka was my second choice. I picked Eligor because he comes across as quite charming.

I'm on the verge here...

Personally I play (when I get the time any more)with TTW; and I usually have Willow... So in that sense I'm not bothered about romancing one of the MZC characters.

But I'll admit it would be a nice addition sometimes; to see that extra layer of character development.

Final answer, I'm going to have to go with no romance; but I'm all for extra character development (example being Hawke, his character was quite good before he had tht 'accident')

Honestly though; I'd mostly prefer to know that the main story (and maybe a side quest or two of sorts) was your main area of focus.

But to put in my vote I'd have to go: Male - Tanaka , Female - Harkin

This kind of feels like the best of a bad situation for a female commander; I didn't really like many of the guys you mentioned tbh. Apart from Harkin (and Mallore, who says about 3 lines) they're kind of hard to take seriously :P

I suppose though that the greyhound quest could be used as a good starting point for a FLW/Harkin romance, kind of like helping him get over what he done and a spark forms... But a Male commander and Tanaka feels like it could have the potential to be quite natural; she seems to have a bit of a thing for the commander (maybe she has a poster of him above her bed) ;p

Glad to see you're back though Nylon. Please make sure to put out another message if your game goes on general release; I'd love to go and buy a copy :D

EDIT: Actually my bad, I forgot who Elligor was; he could actually be quite a good option for a female commander... Maybe not perfect; but certainly a good option from who we have right now.

Edited by pwinkle

If you are into role playing this concept is very interestin imo

I voted both Tanaka and Kurosawa cause they are both stunning :P

Eligor for the male choice cause well um I donno I just didn't wanna pick the others cause they dont really appeal to me that much

I'm on the verge here...

Personally I play (when I get the time any more)with TTW; and I usually have Willow... So in that sense I'm not bothered about romancing one of the MZC characters.

But I'll admit it would be a nice addition sometimes; to see that extra layer of character development.

Final answer, I'm going to have to go with no romance; but I'm all for extra character development (example being Hawke, his character was quite good before he had tht 'accident')

Honestly though; I'd mostly prefer to know that the main story (and maybe a side quest or two of sorts) was your main area of focus.

But to put in my vote I'd have to go: Male - Tanaka , Female - Harkin

This kind of feels like the best of a bad situation for a female commander; I didn't really like many of the guys you mentioned tbh. Apart from Harkin (and Mallore, who says about 3 lines) they're kind of hard to take seriously :P

I suppose though that the greyhound quest could be used as a good starting point for a FLW/Harkin romance, kind of like helping him get over what he done and a spark forms... But a Male commander and Tanaka feels like it could have the potential to be quite natural; she seems to have a bit of a thing for the commander (maybe she has a poster of him above her bed) ;p

Glad to see you're back though Nylon. Please make sure to put out another message if your game goes on general release; I'd love to go and buy a copy :D

EDIT: Actually my bad, I forgot who Elligor was; he could actually be quite a good option for a female commander... Maybe not perfect; but certainly a good option from who we have right now.

If I have to be honest, I didn't have the romance idea in mind when designing characters -no surprise there-. (Don't take the list too strictly. It's more about the archetypes than the character itself. The "other" option is there for a reason. Might find some surprises haha) I wanted to add optional conversation topics for when they are "off duty" and make they offer new possibilities and options as the story progresses, simply for character developement (in the end, the extra layer will be there even if I don't implement romance, because extra character dialogues were in the original plan.). But I've seen that people expect more than that. If the support for romance is high enough, I'll start keeping it in mind when writing the scripts. I mean, I'm supposed to be a bloody screenwriter! I would have to take it as a challenge, even if I suck at romance... hell, SPECIALLY if I suck at romance, because it's becoming a bit of a requisite when it comes to RPG writing teams...

One thing must remain clear, though: story comes first! And overall enjoyment of the mod and its characters! If I implement the romance it will be completely optional (options clearly marked) and I won't put the player in a situation in which he or she has to "kick away" a character because the NPC brings the romance topic and the player is not interested (the player would always take the initiative). Remember Dragon Age 2, where everyone seemed sex-crazed and wanted to get in your pants? Well, that's exactly what I don't want to happen here x_X

Hmmm... Come to think of it, I might even add the romance as an optional plugin file, then everyone would be happy.

We'll see how this develops.

Do it if you really think you can pull it off well. If you have any lasting doubts, don't do it. You have a really compelling story so far and I would really hate for you to ruin it with sappy romances. They have to be meaningful and have an impact, such as altering dialogue, or etc.

On the other hand, random hitting on and flirts are always nice.

I personally enjoy video game romances. It adds another layer of character development as well as another to immersion. However, this is only true in well written romances.

While I would love to see a romance option, I would not like to see a very good and promising story screwed over by a poorly implemented romance system. While I fully trust in your abilities as a story maker, which have been proven by the mod itself, please do not implement this unless you positively sure you can fit this with the story line. I would personally reccomend putting this at the end of the mod, after the stroyline has finished and only trigger the romance if certain dialouge options had been picked. I agree with your idea of an optional file or an option in game you have to turn on, much like the Eliyja mod for Oblivion. This way you'll keep all parties happy. Failing that, the option to flirt and/or "chat up" NPCs would more than suffice for me.

As for choices, I would have to go with Tananka as I'm a sucker for brunettes and male Harkin, as being a male in game; he's the character I talk to the most.