THQ Humble Bundle

tredmillion

I question whether THQ even deserves to survive this, the last few THQ games I've played, Space Marine, Saint's Row 3, and Red Faction Armageddon, have all been let-downs compared to previous iterations. Space Marine was just an aweful Gears Of War clone, with none of the good combat, excellent cover system or story that pulled Gears along, Saint's Row 3 just didn't work, you got about a tenth the gameplay of Saint's Row 2. It was disgusting aswell, with the risue humor pushed too far, to the point that it wasn't really funny anymore, and just simply gross. It was an incomplete, unreliable, and rather monotonous game that was sold to you in chunks via DLC, which also strikes me as a cynical marketing scheme taken too far. Armageddon was just trash in every possible sense. It was just a bad game, overly ambitious, poorly realised, and unimaginative.It was nowhere near as good as Guerilla, smaller, shorter, and with none of the hilarious rampage missions and fantastic physics that made Guerilla such a bomb to play, especialy in co-op. A co-op Excavator rampage remains onew of the most destructively awesome bits of multiplayer fun I've ever had in a game. Edited by Vindekarr

I question whether THQ even deserves to survive this, the last few THQ games I've played, Space Marine, Saint's Row 3, and Red Faction Armageddon, have all been let-downs compared to previous iterations. Space Marine was just an aweful Gears Of War clone, with none of the good combat, excellent cover system or story that pulled Gears along, Saint's Row 3 just didn't work, you got about a tenth the gameplay of Saint's Row 2. It was disgusting aswell, with the risue humor pushed too far, to the point that it wasn't really funny anymore, and just simply gross. It was an incomplete, unreliable, and rather monotonous game that was sold to you in chunks via DLC, which also strikes me as a cynical marketing scheme taken too far. Armageddon was just trash in every possible sense. It was just a bad game, overly ambitious, poorly realised, and unimaginative.It was nowhere near as good as Guerilla, smaller, shorter, and with none of the hilarious rampage missions and fantastic physics that made Guerilla such a bomb to play, especialy in co-op. A co-op Excavator rampage remains onew of the most destructively awesome bits of multiplayer fun I've ever had in a game.

I can't comment on Space Marine because I haven't played it but I'm in agreement with you on the other two. Armageddon was awful, Guerilla was an open world with things to do, fights to get into and stuff to smash up, it was fun. Armageddon was lazy, linear, unimaginative, boring and no fun at all. Saints Row also went backwards, Saints Row Two was great fun, it was long, the humour although a little smutty at times was good, the characters were excellent and story was good albeit rather silly at times. Saints Row the Third was nothing like that, it was short, the story was non existent, what were optional side missions in SR2 became actual missions in SR3, they killed off the only decent character at the start of the game and it went downhill from there. The humour was gone two, it had it's moments but they went completely over the top. Doing crazy things in games is fun when it's in contrast to the rest of the world, SR2 had all sorts of stuff going on in what was a normal world, in SR3 everything in the world was crazy and thus the players antics just became more of the same.

What they did wrong with Space Marine was, a vast wasted uppertunity.

WarHammer 40,00 is probably the biggest sci-fi universe ever created, with hundreds of planets, hundreds of factions, ten major "races" and some really good stories written in recent years. However, THQ's deve team, out of ten major races, and about 600 planets, makes the two most boring choices possible. The planet is Graia, WarHammer has some awesome planets, like cincare, which is an unstable, crystaline asteroid floating rogue through space, with a vicious being of pure psionic energy lurking at it's core. Or maybe one of the Death Worlds, planets marked as being so dangerous due to natural occurances such as gigantic vicious wildlife or poisonous plants, as to be "fit only for the worst degenerates" But no, of all the wierd, wonderful, beautiful worlds, they chose Graia. Graia. It even sounds boring. Graia is a Forge World, a planet completely given over to making things, which means the whole planet essentially looks like a cross between a multi-story carpark, and a bullet factory. It's a never-ending slog of broken-up, decrepit industrial squallor that never changes from the beginning to the end. Why couldn't they have chosen Mars? or Caliban?

The next mistake was choosing their protagonist faction. With dozens of main choices, some of them awesome, they chose the Ultramarines. Of all the Space Marine legions, the Ultramarines are the most boring. The Space Wolves are hard-drinking space viking werewolves, the Blood Angels are immortal space vampires with a tendancy towards ultraviolent psychotic breaks, the Dark Angels have an awesome backstory. But no, they chose the Ultramarines, who are famous for only one thing; they make rules. Lots and lots of rules, and bind them up in a big book called The Codex, and then shoot any Ultramarine who doesn't follow it. There's none of the King Lear style, well written backstory like the Dark Angels, or the shear comic relief/badassery combo of the Space Wolves, no, they're just dull. If they weren't asigned the colour French Blue by the one interesting ultramarine to have ever lived, I think they'd all wear brown.

The most critical thing in The Codex is never do anything rash, which basically means don't ever even think of being interesting. The result is a game full of extremely conservative descision making, "ohh, we better ***NOT*** do that, that would be FUN" moments, and generally looking at the enemy with envy and thinking "atleast they're having a good time" Even when you finally encounter the Chaos, WarHammer's iconic, purely psionic, personality and mind controlling archvillain, they are delivered in a really boring way. In the books, Chaos is bada$$, it can manipulate people's thoughts, turn good guys bad, and even warp the very laws of physics. Here, it's represented by a legion of mind-controlled fanatics, which simply walk slowly towards you, firing from the hip, and then exploding in green puffs when killed. Truly disapointing.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/FarseerUlthwe.jpg

Who could possibly preffer playing as THIS? with horribly awesome psychic powers and immortality?

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/UltramarinesScout.jpg

When you could be THIS? and follow hundreds and hundreds of wonderful RULES?

Edited by Vindekarr

Hmm bought this pack. Didn't pay above the average to get Saint's Row 3...thought that game was kinda stupid anyways. I pretty much got it because my boyfriend got a hard copy of CoH from a friend. I like watching him play it and I decided to get the bundle so I could try playing it with him.

Only issue is...I dunno if it's because this copy of CoH he has came with my friend's graphics card or what...but he can't activate the CD key on Steam (says it's invalid). So we bought two of the bundles. Worked fine for me to activate my bundle. I tried to gift him the other bundle (did the giftable code thinger on the website), but it's giving him the same CD key as my bundle :facepalm: Don't understand why it's being so stupid...but I e-mailed them.

Hopefully they can solve this...it's not really a big deal though. Payed $5 for two bundles...not like I'm really out anything :P How is Red Faction? It sounded interesting. Or Darksiders?

Darksiders is a very average hack N slash game. It's well made, but utterly umimatginative.

Red Faction was an absolute disaster. Red Faction Guerilla was a very average game int erms of writing, acting, graphics, but had some excellent moments. Armageddon, the game they're selling with the bundle, was a compelte and utter failure in every way. Extremely low end third-person shooter with essentialy no story whatsoever, you simply shoot the same identicle aliens in hundreds of absolutely identicle corridors, until the credits roll. It lost the one and only fun thing Red Faction had: GEOMOD, turning it into a monotonous, horribly boring corridor shooter.

Neither are worth playing.

Darksiders is a very average hack N slash game. It's well made, but utterly umimatginative.

Red Faction was an absolute disaster. Red Faction Guerilla was a very average game int erms of writing, acting, graphics, but had some excellent moments. Armageddon, the game they're selling with the bundle, was a compelte and utter failure in every way. Extremely low end third-person shooter with essentialy no story whatsoever, you simply shoot the same identicle aliens in hundreds of absolutely identicle corridors, until the credits roll. It lost the one and only fun thing Red Faction had: GEOMOD, turning it into a monotonous, horribly boring corridor shooter.

can you name a game youve liked? i swear ive never seen you post anything good about a game ever? o wait maybe GW2...

Ah, that's kinda lame. Darksiders sounds alright, haven't played a hack n slash since Devil May Cry on the PS2 :P

I got the bundle really for CoH and the expansions. I'm not really good at RTS games, but my boyfriend said he would go easy on me haha. Gotta learn how to control it while he's at work. I thought it looked pretty fun and remembered that they have this bundle available. We haven't played a game together in a long time and this will be nice for me to actually learn how to play a RTS :) I was semi taught how to play Starcraft...but it was just my friend telling me what hotkeys to press lol.

Metro 2033, dunno. I only played the demo. It was pretty nice looking, got semi crappy performance on it. Not my style of game really, but I might give it a shot when I'm bored of CoH and finish beating Overlord II.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty decent bundle. THQ isn't doing so well, but maybe this will help them out somewhat. CoH2 looks pretty cool from what I've seen, would hate to never see it released.

@ tredmillion - Thanks for posting this! I've never heard of most of those titles, but $1 for 6 commercially produced games is certainly a fantastic deal.

I checked that the Metascores for these games are mostly in the 80's, with the worst one being Red Faction: Armageddon which scored 75. While most of them don't seem to be masterpieces, I don't think any of them will ever appear in a worst games list. In fact Company of Heroes has a Metascore of 93 and swooped many GOTY awards when it was released. Even if some of the games are as bad as Vindekarr says, if it can keep me mildly amused for half an hour, it's worth the $0.17 investment. :)

Anyway, I paid a little extra to get Saints Row the Third as part of the bundle since it seems like a fun game and hey, it's only a few extra dollars. :)

Ah haha, well I played CoH just a few minutes ago. Went through the tutorial and the first mission. It was on easy, but I made it. Pretty good for someone who hasn't played a RTS in over 10 years :P Fun game though, will have to find a small MP map to play with my bf when he gets home :)