shoutout to Vortex and all the dev work that went into it

acidzebra

Recently I had to move my Skyrim VR install to a different disk. Remembering what this was like in the days of OG Skyrim and my last experience with this of almost a decade ago, I nearly just deleted everything to start over, but I had a 170 hour savegame that I was rather attached to. So I gave it a shot.

I purged my mods, told steam to move the install folder, manually moved over the non-Vortex stuff (SKSE things mostly), and restarted Vortex. It complained about folders being moved and told me to go to settings. I did and adjusted things there to reflect the new locations. Vortex obliged and moved my staging folder over. I deployed my mods again. Started the game.

And... that was it. Absolutely painless. (Wrye Bash gave me some lip afterwards but that was a simple matter of a quick run of the game and a reinstall of wrye after and has nothing to do with Vortex)

Some of the concepts in Vortex took me a while to get my head around, the UI layout, dealing with rules, but after a while it all becomes second nature and it's really a very powerful tool (that in some parts of the community is woefully misunderstood/underrated because RTFM can be hard for people).

So, thank you for all the effort to make this amazing tool!

ps. one suggestion I do have - the button tooltips could use some improvement. In most cases they literally just repeat what the button text says. e.g. "ghost" - tooltip: "ghost". "combine" - tooltip: "combine". I figured out what these do because once again, RTFM, but two or three lines of text would do wonders there.

Excellent news, thanks for sharing!

I did a similar thing with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I had the Steam version of FO3 installed, and the GOG Version of Oblivion installed, and modded the both of them, but FO3 didn't want to start and I was having difficulty getting the GOG version of Oblivion to work for some reason, so I purged mods for both games, uninstalled Steam FO3, and Gog Oblivion, installed GOG Fo3, and Steam Oblivion, changed my Mod staging folders for Oblivion and FO3, hit Deploy, and Vortex resumed managing both games and their mods as if I hadn't uninstalled/installed both games and swapped them

The initial learning Curve of Vortex is worth working through, because once you get the concept, it's a powerhouse.