WHat Constitutes "Piracy"?

Zanderat

because i already know what i'm talking about.

that makes a stack of difference in a conversation.

Fair enough. In any case in regards to Gaming i find the techniques used by Consoles the best. In-build programms where as soon as your device detects a non legal identity that's it. Busted. I think this can be perfectly implemented to Windows.

Lets not make Windows any more intrusive than it already is. Consoles are a closed system, with some pretty heavy restrictions on them already. Windows, not so much.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y

because i already know what i'm talking about.

that makes a stack of difference in a conversation.

Fair enough. In any case in regards to Gaming i find the techniques used by Consoles the best. In-build programms where as soon as your device detects a non legal identity that's it. Busted. I think this can be perfectly implemented to Windows.

Lets not make Windows any more intrusive than it already is. Consoles are a closed system, with some pretty heavy restrictions on them already. Windows, not so much.

You do have a point. I do believe if these restrictions don't cause any problems to the consumer it will be fine. But how likely that is is another story. It depends on who will make the rules. If its the current ''Whale'' industry it wont be positive. I believe the Whales/ Monopolies benefit from Piracy in many ways. Every loss of Revenue to the Black Market is lost Market Cap. It just makes Whales stronger and i believe Monopoly based Economies/ Industry/ Market results in Stasis, lack of development and creativity and the current less productive Decade and ends up on Monopolies Recycling used Content even force you to recycle your product and re-buy Skyrim for a 3rd time or breaking address libraries with Anniversary Edition.

*Wears his Tin Foil Hat*

Ok i just stop for now :smile:

Edited by Guest

Software used by the Hellenic Ministry of Infrastructure which i had the pleasure to work with during Classes that i can't remember its name and is one of multiple Software that were attacked over the last decade unable to be broken. Good luck with that.

I guess thats not why your asking anyway so lets just live it at that.

I Still refuse to believe Companies haven't come up with a solution having my own reasons and opinion and no intent to argue. Have a nice time.

Government agencies and most large companies don't have unhackable software, they have IT departments actively defending their systems at all times. It's a whole different thing.

You just described most of the DRM programs that existed prior to "always on internet". In all cases either that program itself got hacked or they made it function at such a low level that it was capable of screwing up Windows itself. There are still people trying to make old games work because the DRM provider went bankrupt and there is no way to authenticate the game anymore.

Steam us probably the least intrusive DRM I've ever seen which is why Bethesda uses them. GOG went the other way and decided that their losses to piracy were too minor to pay for DRM. But remember that GOG started out selling "good old games" pretty cheap so piracy was less of an issue.

You just described most of the DRM programs that existed prior to "always on internet". In all cases either that program itself got hacked or they made it function at such a low level that it was capable of screwing up Windows itself. There are still people trying to make old games work because the DRM provider went bankrupt and there is no way to authenticate the game anymore.

Steam us probably the least intrusive DRM I've ever seen which is why Bethesda uses them. GOG went the other way and decided that their losses to piracy were too minor to pay for DRM. But remember that GOG started out selling "good old games" pretty cheap so piracy was less of an issue.

Steam isn't really DRM, it's just a distribution platform. And a highly effective one at that. Much easier than printing physical disks, especially when the base game is north of 30 gig. :D

I believe the Whales/ Monopolies benefit from Piracy in many ways.

No. Just no.

And be careful you don't get pegged for promoting piracy. The rules are strict.

Why would anyone asume that? I believe Piracy is a problem that has its roots in Monopolies. Take for example companies in the Indian Ocean that offer Anti-Piracy Security to Shipping companies. There has been evidence of some supplying and paying the Pirates to cause the problem and offering protection from ''themselves'' technically.

I think that many companies push illegally copied software under the table so they can have an excuse to monetize it. The customer falls for it and kaboom. Word is Microsoft did the same.

But hey this gets off topic. All i see is that DRM is not working. DRM free software is out of the companies control some of it may even be sold illegally and maybe Windows could become a platform that detects every non-legal ID. But then again i don't trust the current Industry as a whole and i would certainly not trust them with more personal private data then what they already have.

So i suppose we will end up with monetized Subscription based Single Player titles anyway. Who won? The Pirate and the Whales. Certainly non of us. And nothing we can do about it.

Edited by Guest

Software used by the Hellenic Ministry of Infrastructure which i had the pleasure to work with during Classes that i can't remember its name and is one of multiple Software that were attacked over the last decade unable to be broken. Good luck with that.

I guess thats not why your asking anyway so lets just live it at that.

I Still refuse to believe Companies haven't come up with a solution having my own reasons and opinion and no intent to argue. Have a nice time.

Government agencies and most large companies don't have unhackable software, they have IT departments actively defending their systems at all times. It's a whole different thing.

I suppose you're right about that. What i remember from that software is that it functions only with the propper device which has a special ID itself and lots of bureacracy to even go to a certain Agency and be used. Very strictly controlled by the Ministry that's true.

Edited by Guest

Steam is fine. As long as it doesn't require Paying every month for a Single Player Game we own its fine. Thing is Hackers still found a way around it. So it isn't helping unless it will constantly check your Game while being online but that's a problem because it takes system resources and having to be Online to play Single Player is not a solution. Let's just wait and see what Windows 11-12 have in store for us and if the problem will be solved via an in-built device client.

Propably we're going to have to disable alot of their firmware again though like with win10 unless they make it less dissruptive this time.

Edited by Guest