From Day Dreams of a Spaced Out old Man comes

Deleted54170User

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 15.

I saw two more weapons I know were in the video simulation. Four weapons that had not been invented, yet. Not in the twentieth century. At least not to my knowledge.

A laser pistol, in my hand, a Gauss pistol in the skeleton's, now in Eleanna's possession. The third; a Gauss rifle leaned against the concrete pillar next to the desk, and then there was the ceiling laser cannon. I looked at the skeleton.

No sign of trauma to the skeleton. I pointed at the skeleton, looked at Eleanna and said, it looks like sir or madam just died here. Probably of natural causes. The laser cannon was probably protecting him or her.

I looked at Eleanna again; I can't tell, from the condition of the clothes remaining rag's on the corpse, if it was a male or a female. I felt like a cold wind blew through me. Again that giddy sense flooded me. I spouted off; I definitely don't recall a skeleton in this situation as part of my daily reminders list on what to do after I got out of the military. I paused and wondered. Maybe because I used the S. T. S. so much the upper ranks at the naval air station decided to use me for experimentation. I waited for a moment hoping while I did that someone would shut down the simulation and I could get back to my real military duties.

Eleanna had a worried look on her face. She asked me; Have you seen anything like this stuff before?

I shook my head side to side. Keeping what I feared was going on in my thoughts to myself. I said; no.

She raised the weapon in her hand, pointed it. I started to ready myself for a pain. She pointed it passed me like a finger. Is that a real helicopter?

It sure is a fancy new model if it is. I took a longer look. I think it might be. The propellers are bending down to the floor almost touching. If it is... I thought to myself, if this is the simulation effecting me??? I suddenly had a spontaneous flash of childhood inspiration. If it is, I get first dibs on the pilot seat.

Eleanna looked at me and got caught up in the moment, I saw it first!

I said, Okay! If you can fly it, you get the pilot seat.

Seriousness stole the moment. I paused to reflect. If it is the simulation I better look for clues. I turned my head to Eleanna. We better check around here first. I pointed at the immediate area, the Gauss rifle, and the shelves.

There was a different model of a helicopter on the desk that looked familiar. Eleanna got to before I could. It opened the elevator door again. After moping a little, I quit, and got back to the business at hand.

While she stayed by the desk I continued walking around the hanger. The walls were solid concrete and bare of anything, but painted lines. Lines? Strange I recognize the painted stripes, but they don't seem complete. I turned to look back toward the desk to talk to Eleanna.

Eleanna lifted the Gauss rifle, noted the shoulder holster attachment, and slung it over her shoulder.

I walked back to where she was and looked at the rifle on her back. After a moment I of panic I shook my sensible self back into focus. Have you ever used a weapon like that?

She looked at me. I have fired a few rounds and this looks similar enough to a rifle. I think I can use it.

Great! We're a combat team!

She smiled. Yes! I guess that makes us a combat... team. She changed the subject. I didn't find anything for a the helicopter door? Did you?

No! Lets go check out the helicopter for clues.

Wait, I haven't looked in the desks drawers yet. She leaned forward over desk toward the skeleton's head. Then pointed as she peeked across the desk. I already looked under it, around it, moved the skeleton. The fact the skeleton was sitting there made me lose my intention. I did not sit in the chair. I forgot to look in the drawers.

Admiring the view for the moment I stammered. Alright. Go ahead. I'll wait.

She rose, stood up, and went by the end of the desk and slid open the top left drawer. She turned to me. I think you better take a look at this. The last time I showed you a strange thing I found I almost shot you in head off with it.

I made my way around behind the desk. Oh great! Those are, of all things, more items not invented yet. Pulse grenades. I opened the next draw down. The middle drawer had a key fob, a remote control device, and a set of engraved writing tools. Eleanna opened another drawer on the right side. As I turned to look, to be safe. I noticed a piece of paper where detached left hand still remained of the skeleton. A large eleven inch by seven inch page. I picked it up and read aloud.

To whom it may concern,

I noted Eleanna was ignoring me. I looked to see why. She found another modern device. After a moment she perked up. I know what this is? It's a scanner. She pointed it at the skeleton first, thankfully. She gazed at the result about the skeleton. Name, status, and what year the person was born.

She read what she saw. I thought she was reading the year incorrectly, until I saw that sevens do look like upside down capital L's. It also showed an error message. ERROR: Timeline for launch incorrect.

She looked at me. Pointing her finger at the error message. The screen blinked as we stood looking at it. The date for launch is now: Saturday September 27, 1969. I looked Two days ago from today.

Eleanna looked at me, That was forty years ago?!

I gasp for air.

I recalled the note mentioned something about dates and times. I think the elevator may have taken us further then just down two floors. Eleanna looked at the letter in my hand. Dave?

She called me Dave.

I looked at her... It's a letter.

What's it say?

Chapter 16.

My mind wandered. I felt that sense I had a moment before of giddy childlike play changing back to reality being now and not a simulation training system. I suddenly felt real uncomfortable. I began to struggle with my thoughts. What was happening?

I felt something warm pressing against my left arm. I turned my head and our eyes met. I could see confusion mixed with growing fear in Eleanna's eyes. She had pressed in shoulder to shoulder to me. The letter! What's it say?

I wanted to cry. I could see she was near to tears. I hoped I would wake up.

Eleanna turned her eyes to the letter.

I returned my gaze to it.

I read.

To whom it may concern,

You've traveled back, or forward, in time. If I am dead, you are in the not too distant future. Use the helicopter to get back to the past. If you haven't found it yet there is a device in the right hand drawer. With it you'll be able to go back to your own time. To do so, turn it on, scan the area, and get to the roof, take the elevator down. You must get to the roof!

GO NOW. Take the fob to the helicopter.

No way! I only used the helicopter joy stick connected to the little monitor connected to the computer simulation. I crashed it allot before I learned how to fly, much less fly if there is bad weather. I had no real flight time in flying one outside. I was panicking when I knew it was a simulation while watching the helicopters HUD on a 15 inch monitor.

I turned to the helicopter. I turned to look at Eleanna. First; I really wanted to find out if we, in fact, have been transported through time. The message made it clear that the helicopter is the only thing that was important. I had never seen this kind of helicopter in the simulation training system. Just pictures of helicopters in the previews of what kind of helicopters there were. The HUD is all...

Eleanna said, We have to fly that out of here?! But how?! Where's the door.

I looked at the letter. You're from 40 years ago? I'm only 18 years old; going on 100.

Eleanna spurted out. Stop babbling! We have to get out of here!

I stopped talking and turned to her. I... We have to get in the helicopter. Let's go.

Eleanna's eyes were wide open. Where to? What time? Where we got on the elevator before. Some where else in time?

Eleanna looked at me. Another time? Maybe taking the elevator back up is a better idea.

I touched her hand. She pulled it back. She glared at me and said, Unless we do what the letter's instruction say... No! It will probably only bring us down back to this time again. Again and again the elevator will return us to this time. We stay here in this horrible mess the world is in...

I nodded my head, OR, we take the helicopter out to get back to 1969. I took her hand. If they can travel in time, maybe, they will send you home when we get this done?

Eleanna took the letter read it and flipped the letter over looking for more words. Return to the roof, get the helicopter to the roof, and take the elevator back to your time! Saturday 27, 1969. I think I get it! Return to your time means you. I'm not supposed to be here!

Eleanna, all those people were probably destroyed by, what ever, caused the disaster here and now. Something tells we need to save the day. We need to get moving now.

She spun around quickly and turned back to face me. How do you know that?!

There's something I recall. I was given that simulation training system video, I mentioned, to provide me with information to prepare for a different event in time that would have been just as devastating, or worse; worse then what happened in our time. If I am correct that helicopter is our only way back and it's going to be one hell of a flight getting it just to the roof. Because I have never actually flown one of them.

Eleanna's terror look made me feel useless. She said, we have to go back to your time? NOW?! I get it?! I want to go back to my time! Home!

I know. Softly I reminded her, We have to... I think we have to get to the roof while it is in this time's dimension, get to the elevator, use the scanner to set the time on the elevator, and get back to the day my time dimension existed.

Eleanna looked at me. What about me? Can't I just set this thingy to my time and go back there?

She stared hard at me. She grabbed the left shoulder strap. Practically dragging me down while she pulled the shoulder straps off me allowing the pack to fall to the deck. Then she shouted. You know how to fly that helicopter! You need to fly it!

I tried to think. She looked at me. Yelling at me. We don't have time to think about this. You have to get in it and fly us up to the roof.

I reminded her. I read the Janes, learned to fly a helicopter on that dinky little computer monitor with the heliocopter simulation system. I only flew the desk version.

She looked me in the eye, turned her head dragging my line of sight with her eyes to the helicopter.

Something inside me changed. All my sense's focused on the helicopter.

I gulped hard.

RUN!

Chapter 17

The helicopter shimmered as we approached. The closer we got to it the less it shimmered.

I stared stupefied at the door looking for the handle to open. My eyes saw a bright orange painted handle. An white arrow pointed in the direction to open it. I climbed in.

Seated in the pilot's seat I felt like like the whirlybird pilot must have felt each time he got in to his.. I looked at the dashboard for a switch. I saw how similar it was... I looked at the throttle. I had the fob. I fumbled to get it out of my shirt pocket. I squeezed my shirt pocket like a tube of tooth paste to try and force the fob up.

The engine started up, before I could get it out.

As soon as it started up the whole building shook. I stared out the window.

I hoped that wasn't an earthquake.

Eleanna shouted, What's happening?!

I looked out the window. I searched frantically. I remembered the painted stripes on the walls. I staired at the floor. The floor was slowly creeping up over the bottom of them. I checked the helicopters controls. I looked up. Saw a head set. Pointed at Eleanna and then up so she saw her's too. I looked at the HUD. Buckle Up!

When I saw the first sign of an opening I understood what all the lines on the walls meant. I said to myself, repeatedly, as soon as we are cleared fly out the exit, get back on the roof. I cranked the throttle two clicks. Outside, under the wings the long hydraulic tubes spread the wings and then pushed their inner poles out and lifted the propellers up. The exit door opened like the jaws of a tired giant. The hydraulic poles lifted the helicopter propellers I heard a click over the sound of the engine.

I checked the HUD, looked at panel again and again. Once the hydraulic pumped the poles out far enough so the propellers were high enough above the cabin and the rudders the propellers started a slow turn.

Come on! Come on! I cranked the throttle clockwise a couple of clicks. Nothing happened. I pushed the joy stick forward. Nothing! What?!

As the propellers began their warm spin I saw the HUD. Controls Ready. I cranked the throttle two clicks. The propellers spun faster and started to rise all the way to the tips. I pressed forward on the joystick. The tail rudder tipped the bird forward. The propellers reached the speed, with the rudder raised they almost touched the floor in front of the ship. I looked out the left window at the floor. The HUD display signal blinked red faster as to show the status of the exit .

Come on, Come on! One of the lines on the wall that was hidden appeared as the floor rose and roof passed it. Once it became fully visible I knew what to do next. I focused on the HUD. I realized there was no need to watch through the glass side windows. There was no windows in front where the HUD was showing me everything I needed to see. I looked out the window. Old habits never die, they just fade away.

On the wall the directional line was being replaced by a bright yellow line which bent and rose to point out the roof was almost up and about to lock. It turned into an arrow and appeared under the rising roof. I turned to and looked at the blinking light for the exit. Yellow, Yellow, GREEN!

Green button? Green button? A green button. I almost missed it because my thumb was nearly hiding it. Just on the back of the joy stick. HOLD ON! I pushed it. A jet blast sent the ship sliding along on its landing rung's tips as it shot out the door.

I felt my butt lift out of the seat. The bird dropped a couple of levels.

The propellers slowed the fall and I sat back down like I fell on a pillow. The propellers speed caught up to the setting I had put into the throttle and lifted us up.

I kept the bird going straight forward away from the building. I switched my attention to the rudder controls.

I cranked the throttle up two clicks. Ready to move the stick as I used the peddles to get the rudder to turn the bird around. Adjusting for lift speed. The ship turned fast. The OBC responded to my mistake and corrected the ship before it swung it into the building. OBC on/off. I stared at the letters. OBC?

I leveled copter. I found the tail rudder, added two more clicks on the throttle, and the ship to rose.

On Board Computer! Why do I need to fly this?

The HUD signaled that something large flew by . I nearly panicked and turned down the throttle.

I pulled on the stick. Realizing my mistake I released my tight grip on the joystick keeping my fingers and thumb holding it like a baseball bat. Don't squeeze the bats handle tightly or when you hit the ball it will sent a shock of pain up your arms. Just hold it gently. The farm team trainer stood there in my memory. Mr. Young. Babe Young. His middle name was Babe, after Babe Ruth. The ship tipped and corrected so it was level. I felt the joy stick move and moved my fingers to keep from tugging on it. The helicopter leveled off. A did a quick review of the controls for the rudder, then I cranked the throttle three more clicks to get more lift. The ship wobbled. As soon as we get enough distance... Now I remember.

I had to get the ships landing rungs above the roof line. As soon as we were above the roof line I could tilt the ship to begin moving to the roof. I looked out the window. I told myself; force of habit. then said, Simple as pie.

Eleanna looked back at me. You mean Easy as pie.

Yeah. Easy.

A wind gauge's yellow bars increased there numbers flickering to get noticed on the HUD. The propellers were almost clear to the top. The wind register progress bar filled as the helicopter rose. The closer I got the birds propellers to the roofs floor line the more red flashes I saw on it. As the propellers raised even with the lip the wind gauge filled with the little rectangles all the way to the right. Red lights and that horrible Klaxon sound.

What's this? What?! Did the wind just start? I thought that happened yesterday. I... I was about to flip out. The helicopter would if the wind caught it on the lift approach as fast as the wind was blowing. I turned the throttle down to cease climbing.

I remembered something from the simulation training video. About atomic detonations. I cranked the throttle a quarter turn. The ship rose so fast I almost didn't push the throttle. The wind was forcing us back. I leaned the ship just a hair with the throttle forward. Under other circumstances it would have been caught in the winds and flipped end over end. I pressed the green button.

The ship rose. The jet blast kept the tail up as it pushed to keep us from being cannon balled backwards. The helicopter held position against the wind.

YES! Don't try this at home kiddies this is... REALLY ******* DANGEROUS!

Fighting the wind, hanging in the ready, a full size freezer/refrigerator flew directly at us. I quickly turned the throttle up another two clicks. The ship rose. The frig dropped below us. The winds increased driving the ship back. I quickly cranked up on the handle. I realized leaning into the gale force wind in any other helicopter we would have gotten us blown away.

I dropped down below the roof top. Down throttle to level off and start the approach again. I started counting. While on the approach the blasting wind was so violent it was wiping anything that was on the roof off. A rock bounced off the blades and slowed them causing the engine to hiccup and the copter fell back even with the bay door.

Several items were falling over the edge, others were falling down off the roof at the ship. I stared at the HUD. I worked the throttle, rudder, and moved the joy stick dodging dropping rising falling again and again, each time.

The HUD showed all above was clear. I hoped the last of the modern stuff and bits of junk piled up on the roof were down.

After I felt a twinge of certainty, I cranked the throttle up, pushed the joystick full forward, and prepared to fire the jet blast again.

The wind speed was dropping. I lost my count!, but I still felt sure I knew what to do.

I cranked the throttle to full, and got the ship back up high enough to get the landing rungs above pads edge. The wind was dying down. I had to get the rungs on the landing pad. I began the approach to get the curved ends of the landing rungs onto the landing pad's edge.

I raised the tail rudder so the front curved part of the rungs could touch as level as possible. The wind made the ruddy swing side to side. One rung came off making the other further on, then the opposite. I kept compensating until they both made contact again.

The wind outside was still fast. We made progress; inch by inch. I learned the ships strength and gave it more throttle. I moved tipped the throttle to compensate for the wind. A gust shoved us back and the rudders slipped off, the propeller blades sent sparks flying the side windows like forest fire in the wind.

It fell off the platform of the run way.

When the rungs slipped back off the edge and the chopper sank I cranked up the throttle and tilted the stick forward. I turned the throttle all the way up, dangerously so in most cases, but this wasn't most cases. The curve parts of the rungs slid forward little by little, inch by inch. Then a whole foot.

I knew what was going to happen soon. I gave the ship all the power to get us forward to the landing pad marks.

The curved parts had to be all the way on deck. As soon as the rungs curved tips of the landing gear were full over ridge of the deck I readied myself. Already at full throttle. I began to feel the motion of the ship through the joystick pressing on my hand like a puppy dogs tail wagging. Sending messages to my nerves. The wind slowed some more.

Now or never.

I pushed the jet blast button.

The rungs skidded ahead. Sparks flying off their metal tubes as they slid along the concrete. The pressure holding the ship down was stripping them like a giant file shaving off the ends sharp as mosquito's sucker.

The rocket engine stopped.

We were only half way to the middle where the marks for landing were. The wind was still strong and keeping us from moving forward more then a few inches at a time.

I took a quick look at Eleanna. She was poking the scanner. I turned my attention back to controls. What are you doing?

She screamed at the scanner. Ow! MY ears

What?! Don't yell. I can hear you. What's wrong?

She started hollering. It doesn't work! It won't let me set my own time so I can go back.

Calm down! Eleanna! I'll fix it! I promise. Listen! LISTEN TO ME! Now! Pay attention to what I am about to say. When I say, jump, just do it.

She cried; Out? The door? Into that?

The winds howl could be heard even through the head set ear cups. I had to get her attention and reason with her before it was tool late. I spoke, loudly as possible, because yelling caused the voice activated control to tune out loud noises.

TRUST ME! WHEN I SAY JUMP, JUMP. THEN RUN TO THE STAIRWELL. THEN DIVE IN. AND I MEAN DIVE IN!

IF YOU WANT TO GET BACK TO YOUR TIME, GET ME INTO THAT ELEVATOR AND SEND ME DOWN ALONE. EVEN IF I BARELY SEEM ALIVE TO YOU. SEND DOWN ALONE. AGAIN! GET ME INTO THE ELEVATOR, SEND ME DOWN, ALONE. STAY UP TOP WITH THE SCANNER. WHEN THE ELEVATOR SIGN SHOWS IT HAS STOPPED, COUNT BACKWARDS FROM TEN TO ZERO. AS SOON AS I AM DOWN THE SCANNER SHOULD WORK FOR YOU. WITH ANY LUCK PEOPLE WILL BE DOWN THERE TO HELP.

REPEAT MY INSTRUCTIONS.

A few more feet and we'd be where I wanted the giant dragon fly with it's bloated belly to be. Near the center of the landing pad aligning the ship so I... we both had a chance to reach the stairwell.

Are you ready? Eleanna! ARE YOU READY?

She didn't say anything. She just nodded her head.

The roar of the wind whistles were dying down that were coming through every destroyed rubber seal of the helicopter.

I started to count silently to myself. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, JUMP!

The wind died. I laughed. I pushed on my door, frantically pounded on my seat belt release. The doors opened. Easy as cake!

Eleanna jumped out. I yelled, easy as cake. Running she yelled back; easy as pie.

I barely got out the door on my side when the helicopter stopped moving completely. Eleanna, ran toward the stairwell. I jumped out. I thought about risking running in front of the helicopter. The simulation reminded me of the event yet to come. NO! No, no, no, no, NO!

I ran like a bat out of hell to get behind the helicopter. The ships propellers were slowing down. . The helicopter stopped sliding backward completely. The props dipped while still turning above my head as I ran around to the back. I had to get out from under their reach. I hopped three feet, a blade clipped my left shoulder ripping my jacket. Bad move! I ducked down. I reached the tail rudder.

I turned, sprinted to the right five clicks off to the right of the stairwell. I had very little time left. I had to get clear of the propellers on the right side of the ship.

A hundred feet to the stairwell. Three maybe four long sprinting steps away from the tail rudder and a gentle breeze picked up. Where my jacket's shoulder was ripped I felt it get real cool fast.

The gentle breeze tugged gently on the ragged cloth. I saw my shirt was torn exposing my skin. A red welt. The cloth was severed enough the wind made a little piece flutter where the blade winged my jacket stinging my bruised spot. I kept sprinting to get as far away as I could to avoid the propellers on the right side of the ship.

I felt the adrenaline surge in my body as I sprinted. I felt a steady breeze pick up stirring my hair and making my clothes flutter on me. I slowed to a run to keep to my feet.

I felt the tug.

Chapter 18.
I wondered if what caused the winds was a new weapon. It caused the wind to reverse just like an A-bombs explosion. While I ran to keep my footing to the tarmac it was swiftly turning into an implosion. I had ten seconds to make it to the stairwell. In high school track I did the hundred yard dash in nine seconds. I only had to run about one hundred feet. I took a quick peek and saw Eleanna disappear down the stairs head first. I needed to get to the stairwell.
The wind's reversal began vacuuming. I was running to the right and half turned away from the direction the wind was moving instead of making a bee line to the stairwell. If I got lucky I would be dragged only a few feet before I would drop down, tuck and roll down the stairs
The wind started to drag the helicopter slowly. Me much quicker. The huge ship and I were going to be dragged off the landing pad as I ran. If I hadn't sprinted far enough I would slide back to the right side where the rudders were slowing but still turning. I would be chopped liver if I didn't make it far enough.
I was forced to turn another two clicks so my back was almost getting pulled full on by the wind's stream.
I could no longer see the stairway. Suddenly all I could do was drag one leg after the other. I was bending my body away, sliding a on foot forward, and pressing down slowly slipping a little each time.
The wind speed increased. I needed to keep my feet flat so the vacuum didn't drag me by the loose leg too far. I kept planting the soles of my shoes flat down while the wind kept pulling to pick them up. I slipped a few inches each time I moved one foot forward. I felt like I was moving backwards and sideways. I was afraid the wind was winning. All I had to was make it. One more step.
I was forced to lean to my right further and further with each step. My jackets sleeves were pulled down over my hands. I pressed my right hand down on the concrete to keep me from loosing my footing. My ankles were bent so I could barely keep the rubber soles of my shoes contacting the concrete. The winds speed increasingly stronger pulled my eyelids down so I could not close them even as I squeezed hard.
I had to keep my body as straight as I could. I turned so my left side too the wind. straightening my shoulders made me as small as possible so the wind only had a narrow shaft to pull on. I dared not turn my head, not even a little, to check my status. I had to keep myself straight as a board. Even tipping my head down would cause me to loose some traction. I felt the urge to look. My eyes were getting dried. I wanted to look so bad, and see if I was on target. My eyelids
began flapping in the breeze like clothes on a clothes line on a windy day. My tears were pulled out. I felt it pull them out of the tear ducts. My eyes felt like they were being sucked out of my head.
Suddenly the wind picked up more speed. I slid like a figure skater along the concrete. The sleeve's cloth under my hand was scraped away so my bare skin touched. Fire and ice shot through my arm. I could feel the skin on my face being pulled down. My shirt came out of my trousers and was beating my hips and butt like a cat of nine tails whip. I felt stings up and down my groin, thighs, and back that felt like knives stabbing me all over. It was getting to be too much to bare. I was nearly laid down flat on my right shoulder. I slid on both feet, one in front of the other. I pressed both arms into my sides as the wind pulled on them. The wind increased speed. I felt my legs dragged down flat. I tried once more to get a step. I ended up on my face.
I felt my nose's tip stretched down, My nose touched the concrete as I slid skidding along getting the skin peeled off. I felt a sudden jerk.
I felt lifted up. Lifted up and carried away. I felt relieved of the wind straining all of my body. I was flying.
I hoped Eleanna would take the elevator to my time. They could send her back. They could save her the world from her time? Sure!
Suddenly a pumpkin smiled at me. Wobbling it's head as I stared at it. I felt like a witch flying on her broom with the grinning toothless pumpkin in my hand. Cackling as I flew overhead. The pumpkin flew at a dot. I thought it might be a bonfire people were gathered around. I saw the pumpkin head sink down into the dot and disappear. It must have landed in the huge fire because light from an explosion rose up. Pretty flower. I felt the as if my ride had stop moving. Suddenly I was falling fast; and then tumbling down toward the dot.
I felt the air suddenly stopped moving. Like I was suspended and wasn't falling. Really strange. A tingling feeling was flowing all over my body.
Then I sensed that all my body parts, everything, whipped back in place. I felt like the time I got some hot glue on my finger from a glue gun. All over. I started moving. Slowly along like I was floating on a river of warm cozy cushions.
I felt a twinge of pain somewhere. I saw a little tiny helicopter that looked like a dragon fly with a huge glass head and it was in my hand and I raised it over my head. I felt my lips making the sound of it propellers. Whir, whir. My hand faded and the little whirlybird sank down and down. I watched it sink deeper into the dark space.
I heard sounds. Sounds familiar to me. Wild geese flying over my head in formation made a similar noise. Many voices were near to me that sounded far away.
I could feel cool air all over my body. A sudden chill flashed over me, so cold I felt like I stiffened until I was frozen solid. Then it started getting warmer. Then I heard full words.
Someone said, You made it! Everything is going to fine.
I felt warm and fuzzy. Time seemed to stand still.
I dreamed I was flying in a helicopter. I could see through the globe shaped ships cabin. It was like a fish bowl window all around.
I felt someones hand hold on my right hand. I looked and saw a young women smile at me. She looked familiar. I think I smiled back at her.
My head felt motion that caused me to feel like I was spinning.
I heard a voice. It seemed very distant, but distinct and clear. It was Eleanna. I felt her lips as she spoke softly in my ear. Thank you for saving our lives. Thank you.
I could feel the warmth from her face against mine. Our tears met, they flowed down the sides of our faces, and I felt her heart beat. She whispered; I made it home, but I couldn't forget you. They let me come to visit you at the hospital. I'll come back when you're feeling better.
I felt safe. I felt myself began to float. Drifting slowly along. I felt my hold on Eleanna. She held me tight. Then I slipped away.
I heard someone singing. The sun shines bright on the Moon at night... I could see it was late. The sky was clear. Kind of an odd green color though. I remembered the cow jumped over the Moon made of cheese. Maybe Moon cheese was green? The astronaut walking backwards on the Moon was odd too. I thought that astronauts were something my older brothers might like to be when they grow up.
I could see the front yard with grass all trimmed neatly along the sidewalk out to the curb. I looked down at my hands. There was little piece of wood in one hand and a one inch folding knife in my other. The wood had taken the shape of one of those Egyptian dogs with pointy ears and long snout, sitting down on all four.
I could see clear to the street from the front porch. A Weeping Willow tree on the left and on the right was the Douglas Fir pine tree. The two trees were separated by the sidewalk down the middle and a lot of grass I had mowed recently.
I stood up, stepped up to the top of the front porch, and turned around to go in the front door. I twisted the knob and found it had been locked. I was locked out.
I turned around and could see the street was blocked by a wall. Something I wanted to look at was inviting me to get closer. I saw a light, like a dot on a black sheet of paper. I recalled hearing my Dad say, Don't go into the light. It's probably a train coming from the other end of the tunnel. I felt myself sliding off the front porch down into some dark space beneath my feet.
I arched my back to find something to lean into and slow me down.
I sat up.
I saw the moon. Was I dreaming? It was cheese! I heard a radio make static sounds and then someone singing. If the Moon hits your eyes like a big pizza pie, that's Amore'...
The music faded. I wanted to hear some more, any sounds more. I remembered my favorite kindergarten song. I think I was singing it but my voice seemed far, far away.
I felt my body was in a warm bed. I kept my eyelids closed. I rolled on one side and pulled the warm blanket over my shoulder up to my neck. I wanted to keep dreaming and go back to sleep. I am going to sleep right now. And it seems like I was between two worlds about to wake up in the other.
All I want to do is stay warm and cozy.
Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream; Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is just a dream.
Peace!
Piece of Pizza.
Eleanna... Piece of cake! Easy as pizza.
The End.
Goodnight, from Montana.

Chapter 19

Five am. The window in his room was open two inches letting in fresh air. The temperature outside was warm. He stood near it listening for a sound... waiting. Quiet? Too quiet. Something woke him up. After all the noise that had occurred while the past events were still fresh on his mind... Wanting some reassurances... He felt his pockets. The canvas trousers pockets had no bulges. He patted his shirt pockets. Empty too. He looked at the time on clock on the desk again.

After everything that had occurred. The hell he had been a part of, the strange tablet that seemed so familiar, the girl from the future, he remembered almost dying, and awaking in the hospital where he had been for... He checked the little calendar on the portable wall desk. Jutting out like a board stuck in a wall with braces sticking out underneath, with ridges an inch higher on the right and left on the writing area. A pen & pencil holder, envelope storage space, sheets of writing paper. Noting all the differences from the two different times he had been to. He felt sure he was back in 1968. He looked at the calendar again.

He tried to remember when those tablets existed that replaced paper and pens. His head hurt. He stopped thinking. He remembered the woman. He tried to remember when she last visited. The pain returned to the nape of his neck. He rubbed the area and felt a tiny lump. What the Hell?!

A voice came in over a speaker. He turned to face the direction of the sound. A small box with a circle in the center with weaved material. It was stuck up over the door. He looked at it.

Relax Dave. The device on your neck is to monitor your health. You will still have occasional headaches because you aren't yet fully recovered. You took a lot of damage. We weren't sure we could... Well thanks to modern medicine and lots of time we managed to restore you.

Where am I?

You're in the hospital.

No! I mean where! What place? Where is the hospital? What town?

The hospital is in your home town.

I spent all my money getting out of here. The place is a ghost town. The people living here keep hanging on like the day will return when they were the good ol' days. Why did you bring me back here? He looked out the window. Wait a minute? I remember the hospitals in the city where I grew up. This isn't where I grew up. I'm still in the city where the disaster happened... Aren't I?

This isn't your home town?

No!

The door to the room hissed. Please exit the room and follow the yellow line on the floor to my office.

Chapter 20

The moment he stepped out the door into the hall he smelled food. Looking down he saw several lines. All different colors. Green, red, blue, and white. There was one more but it looked worn out. A yellow line wasn't visible. He decided to follow the direction the smell of food came from.

Chapter 21

I was leading the visitors to the dining area when I over heard someone. The dining area gets Daffy at times. Everyone followed me into the restaurant where everything was readied. Tables all set with clean white table clothes, white napkins, with cleaned and shiny white vinyl covered chairs. Another group had already arrived. They filled the spacious section they were in. I saw the premium desert was placed at the back of the nine course dinner lined up to tantalize their five senses.

The group I led to their tables had all arrived on time, to dine, and then see the show projected on the big theater screen.

They were all here to see what they heard their parents talk about. Such a tangled memory each shared. So in our group they came to find and see what was the cause of the way their parents behaved.

The fabulous troupe of stage performers came on while the desert was being put on tiny plates made out of edible graham crackers. Boston Creme pie. One of my favorites!

I sat at my table watching as the lights were worked. The lights switched about to highlight the speaking actor and another set of lights dimly showed the others paused for their turn to speak. Hanging overhead near the edge of the stage the sign said, Radio Station (call sign) On The Air. Just to give the audience the idea we were watching a group on an old fashion radio show.

Fifteen minutes had passed. The sign above rose out of sight like a cloud drifting to heaven. The curtains sagged, the actors stood up while receiving a tremendous volume of applause. A woman next to me sighed. It is such a relief to know my Mum and Dad weren't bonkers. What a show!

The curtain rose. The big screen began to have light flicker. The picture of the greats who once gave people a radio show, they heard in their homes, appeared adorned in outfits on one of their recorded 33 and 1/3 albums.. The credits showed all involved. The movie show rolled the people over in laughter. Some even falling from their seats. After the recorded movie ended the remaining members of the group came out on stage in regular clothes. Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for the fine folks that formed the group. Here they arrrre. The FIRESIGN Theater.

I felt a tug on my sleeve and leaned over to listen to the gentleman on my right.

Don't think about anything bad. It hurts when I think about anything bad.

I must have passed out. When I opened my eyes I was face down on the table. I saw that I almost landed in a full plate of Boston Cream Pie. The service table was successfully moved before my knees must have given way. Two men in white shirts grabbed me under my shoulders, lifted me up, and carried me.

One of them lifted his free arm and spoke at the back of his wrist. We found him. We'll be there directly Mam. I looked about as they nearly dragged me out of the dining area. No stage, no theater troupe, just allot of white, everything. Something was really off. My mind...

I got my right foot down so I could walk and the two guys let me stand on my own two feet. One looked at the floor. We need to fix the yellow line. It's that one Dave. The one that's fuzzy. Can you handle yourself now?

Sure, sure. My stomached growled.

The guy on my left brought a bottle around. Here, have my smoothie. It should hold you until dinner.

I tried to open the top.

He reached over and snapped it's binder loose. There! Go ahead. We'll stand by in case you feel a bit weak still. I'm warning you though; don't drink too much, because it really has got a kick to it.

I carefully sipped a couple times. It seemed tasteless and then I felt like I had just ate a box of candy. When it reached my stomach I felt it. As it settled me down I got a surge of energy. I felt like a boiler heating up. Warm on the inside and then warm on the outside.

There you go Dave. Be on your way.

I kept an eye on the fuzzy line this time. I walked nearly two hallways when I recalled someone telling me about something making them hurt. I remembered my headache back in my room before I wandered off. There's nothing I had thought about when the headache came. I remembered seeing the man talking to his wrist. I wondered about that for a second. I started to ponder it. Then the thing the one gave me called a smoothie, with the strange cap. I remembered the tablet in the tunnel. My head started to hurt. The more I thought about it the more it hurt. I turned my thought to Eleanna. HOly ****.