Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melisande and Helstar

The gentleman looks at the outstretched hand dubiously, then shakes it. "Okay," he says quickly. "Now that we've got that over with, let me show you around the camp. Over here are the now empty tents," he says, waving his arm, pointing at the tents furthest from the dig. "And these," pointing to the closer ones, "are the tents of the remaining workers and the remaining equipment. Everything seems to happen at night, so you're welcome to hang around and have dinner with us."

Alenee

You proceed up the hill, noting the fine workmanship in everything around. The stone walls along the sides of the road are meticulously put together - you don't think you could get a swordpoint between any of the stones. When you reach the top, you see spread before you a myriad of styles of mausoleums. Many are white marble, though they come in all colors and shapes. Most have a family crest upon them, many similar but not exact, as though they belong to the same familial line. As you head toward the east, you find that the tombs go on for quite a way, almost a mile you would guess. Finally, you reach a construction site where there are several counterbalanced cranes, with several workers at each lifting large polished black stone blocks into position. The structure seems to be about half done, with the beginnings of a dome being made on top. One of the workers notices you, and comes over. "Excuse me, but this is a restricted site. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"I'm here to take a look at the problems you've been having. I've got authorization from Bengt Reevelord, giving me access to whatever I need," Alenee replies, pulling the note from her cloak. She hands it to the worker, then continues. "Who's in charge around here? And might as well find the witnesses at the same time... I'll need to talk to anyone who's seen anything related to the trouble here."

Melisande looks at the man, back in her coquettish act -

"I'm sorry, I never got your name. My name is Melisande, and you would be well warned not to judge me nor any others who come after me by how they appear. As for dinner, how can I, or we" she says, turning to Helstar, "possibly decline such a request from our new partner? Do you mind if we look around ourselves til then? Oh, and by the way, if you can inform your workers that we will be asking all kinds of questions at dinner." She curtsies, and looks to Helstar.

Melisande and Helstar

The man looks at you both, not sure what to make of either of you. "My name's Waring Beadle, and I shall do as you request. Although you seem strange to me, I do believe that you will help me solve my problems. Please feel free to look around."

Alenee

The man takes the paper and looks at it.

"Sorry," he says apologetically. "We've just all been a little more cautious lately. I guess I'm the one you want - Erech's my name. The others don't speak much, let alone to strangers." He wipes his brow. "Where should I begin? It all started with the excavation of the main crypt, we hit some worked stone, but it was old and we were able to get through it. It seemed to be some kind of paving stones for and old road. The plans called for us to work even further to the east, so we pulled up more of the stones. Then, we hit a door. It was sealed, and had the mark of an ancient king on it. Work stopped completely at that point, as you could guess. We got Bengt up here, and he called in a herald. The herald looked at the marking, clutched his chest, and dropped. The only thing he uttered was the word 'Astanth.'" He makes a symbol in the air in front of him with his finger as he says the word.

"You can understand how we must have felt - I mean, everyone was brought up with the story of Astanth and how he consorted with devils and demons and almost brought the north to its knees. His tomb was destroyed before he died, but it was always rumored that he had pre-arranged something that would allow him to return and fulfill his destiny to rule the world."

"Since then, it seems as though something is working to unseal the tomb. Picks will be seen moving by themselves toward the structure. Every night, the guard is set, and every morning they are found asleep, with more of the structure uncovered. If you look go to the east side of the tomb, you can see for yourself."

Alenee nods in understanding as the man tells his story. When he finishes, she pauses for a moment to think, then replies. "Well, I guess that'd be the best way to start. Not going to accomplish much here without looking at it at some point. Show me this new tomb, and while we're walking, I'd like to hear anything you know about yourself and your workers. I'm still not convinced this is anything more than perfectly natural sabotage."

Alenee

Erech walks you to the east, and tells you about himself and the workers.

"We are all free men - stonemasons and laborers. I, myself, am a master in the stonemason's guild." He pauses for a second, then goes on. "We were hired by Bengt to complete the tomb. For all it's supposed pomp, it's actually a very simple structure. Well, I digress. We are all from the area, and have all been working on the tomb since the beginning. To anticipate your next question, no, there has not been anyone new that came later."

He stops at the east end of the structure. "Well, here it is. I wish you luck - if you can solve this mystery and it is, as you said, simple sabotage, then we can get finished sooner. If not, well, then if you can solve it, we can get finished again." He bids you farewell, walks away a few paces, then turns. "Oh, by the way, there's another lady looking around up here - name's Linden I think. Said she was looking into things for the king. She left the hill just after the strange stuff started, saying she had to look up something. Don't be surprised if you meet her, though."

He turns, and walks back to the main work area.

Archived