The new design

DeepSoul

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old site certainly looked more professional than the current one, this is not meant as an insult, but the new one with bright colors and big buttons makes it appears as a children's site, other than that I have no problem with it's functionality, everything appears to work as it's supposed to.

At this point, I wish I had the old site back. I don't see the necessity of the new design, but I really hope it was worth the performance boost for you. One thing I absolutely hate: how the ads work. They keep expanding every time the mouse goes over them. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The drop-down menus at the top of the main page are hidden under the ads, even when not maximized, thus making a portion of them impossible to see. At least put the ad above the drop-down menus; it should not be that difficult.

I'm sure there are other pleasant surprises I have yet to find, but I beg you to restore the old design. If not that, please at least fix the ad problem I mentioned.

EDIT: It's actually only a couple of ads that have this problem, however the problem still applies. Also, which browser would be best to use for this site? I am running IE9.

Edited by Guest

I really like the old design a lot more. I know that sometimes it just takes time to get used to something but I honestly feel that this redesign was a bad idea.

I could look at an entry for a particular mod and gleen a lot of important information. Now it is just a cut down version of what it used to be. I cannot even tell how many endorsements that a file has. I used to be able to see that at a glance.

I'm sure that this "update" represents a significant monetary investment but I'm not sure what made you think it needed to be updated in the first place. I chose to purchase a lifetime premium membership because this was the most easily navigable site for Bethesda mods, if the site was layed out then, as it is now, I would have never made that purchase.

I suggest that you revert to the previous design and work on the search functions of the previous design. I had some minor nit-picks about the old design but this is really not acceptable.

Wulf

Although currently I not prefer the new design, I'm sure Dark0ne will sort out a lot of bugs and flat out fails of the new design. Do I like the new design? No. Is it hard to navigate around, use, etc.? Yes. But I will still give Dark0ne and this other web designer credit for there work, as I know I sure couldn't have done it. However, I do have a lot of suggestions:

1. Add the latest images back to the home page, that's something I dearly miss.

2. Make the Fallout 3 and New Vegas Nexus' more Fallout like the old ones. The new styles JUST DON'T FIT.

3. Widen. The. Description. In. Files. For. Crying. Out. Loud.

4. The drop down menu's are so annoying... at least for me. Every time I go to manage my files I think. "Ah damnit... where's the tab? Oh, it's up there. Right. Move mouse over Files... wait for menu... find Manage files..." < This just isn't right.

5. Get the old New Vegas Nexus back ground back. The new one is repeated like 4 times... it's an eye sore.

6. When you have you mouse over a hotfiles tab... DON'T LET IT CHANGE BY ITSELF. I'm reading the description and then it's on to the next mod.

7. Personal Message alert. Bring it back... please. I never realize I have a new message because I like the alert. Noticing the little tiny number by messages isn't to convenient.

8. Make the viewing of members a lot easier. What I mean is, the old design let us give kudos to a member by clicking the plus by there name if they had posted or something. All of the members info used to be right there... now it's not. Supercalafradgalisticexpealannoying.

9. The new way of viewing a mods downloads and endorsements flat out sucks. This goes in the "Fail" category for sure. Do something with it PLEASE.

10. Fix the link logos on the Forums. When I move my mouse over the drop down menu the logos are all gone.

That's 10... I'll stop now. Please consider some of these.

- Falloutperson416

Edited by falloutperson416

For me the new site is unpleasant to navigate and I find the section with the endorsements and downaloads/views provides no real feedback for how well a mod is doing. I find my eye drawn to the version number and the number of views where on the old system my eyes were drawn to the endorsements. Sorry but the new site gives zero pleasurable feedback to me as a modder. I was hoping the endorsement display MORE useful info, not less. I want to see how many endorsements a mod has had in the last 3 months, not how many views it has had since the game was first released. The comment tracking link used to the main thing I used to keep track, now its hidden away and once I get there I cannot even open up each new entry in a new tab to go through them. It feels way too much trouble to try and follow all my mods and help people out.

And the final blow is the 600 pixel limit and bold fonts. I feel like I am reading my mod description on an iPhones twitter app.

The old nexus may have seemed 'un flashy' but it was functional, promoted a community feel rather than a FilePlanet mod dump feel. It just feels like it is aimed at getting downloaders in and out as fast as possible, rather than getting contributers to upload. The old Nexus always felt like a little coffee bar with a welcome mat and many friends, both old and new. Now it feels like a drive through burger bar. Its bright and flashy, fast and efficient, but you get out of there to eat and chat with your friends.

One thing I absolutely hate: how the ads work. They keep expanding every time the mouse goes over them. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I think that's the point, premium users don't get those ads, I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's how it is.

I should have come to that conclusion myself, but I don't visit the site enough to make a premium account worthwhile.

Now it feels like a drive through burger bar. Its bright and flashy, fast and efficient, but you get out of there to eat and chat with your friends.

Except it's not efficient. It's been mentioned a couple of times. The download system sucks. Those little popup things are annoying and in the way. Used to be I could quickly open several download pages, then go select them to download across several servers to spread load. Quickly. Now it not only takes longer, but in one instance even closed the entire TAB I was working in.

I don't even have a very wide monitor, and the description width is too narrow. Things don't fit, and everything has become a very tall wall of text instead of a relatively short wall (albeit wider). Personally, I don't think it's fair to tell modders to fix their pages to adapt to a change of format, when the old format worked, and was already adapted to for thousands of mods.

Which brings me to another point. Who cares about adding sidebar images to their mod pages? Maybe 1 in 1000 mod authors will do that. I personally don't have time nor the artistic talent to do such a thing, and would rather see that extra space devoted to my mod description.

Everything on the site is too bubbly and round. Sure that might be 'modern', but round wastes space. It was mentioned before, but my first impression of the new design is that it looks like a children's site.

I'm sorry to say it, but I'm in the boat with people who want the old site back.

Nexus as it was

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7204/nexusasitusedtobe.jpg

Nexus as it is now

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2822/nexusasitisnow.jpg